Trip to NAPA today - new oil buying paradigm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I got this oil buying thing wrong.

Usually my attention is pulled from this ad to that ad, Autozone, Advanced Auto, Walmart blowouts, coupons, rebates, marketing hype, etc., etc.

Walked into the local NAPA store today to get some house brand NAPA Synthetic for my Kohler powered Exmark lawn mower.

I instantly noticed great help from behind the counter and good prices on both sale and regular items.

I may have a new favorite oil store.

My local NAPA is great, really friendly AND knowledgeable folks behind the counter. Beats the socks off of AZ and AAP. But I can usually find better deals on oil elsewhere.

Out of all the auto parts stores Napa is one of the better ones around here. Weaver auto parts being the only better one, it's a local chain. I stopped by a local O'Reilly today and heard the two guys working, talking really loud about how someone that came in is a f-ing [censored] and they were so stupid and yada yada yada. Then one of the guys asked if there was anyone in the store and the other guy said yep one dude. I appeared out from behind the oil aisle, the both shut up instantaneously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not my NAPA, some of the stuff seems to have been on the shelves for decades. You can find where something went by the dust.

But that isn’t my problem, they always seemed bothered to get up off of their chairs to come help you when you walk in. And forget conversation, you may get a grunt every now and then. I have been there a few different times for an oil special, and just recently for a good deal on some brake pads. Probably won’t be back to my NAPA unfortunately. Besides, ours is only open until 6 and closed on Sundays.

My NAPA does me good. Might be because its owned by a relative
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I instantly noticed great help from behind the counter

We don't need no stinkin' help!

Seriously though, I'd much prefer if no one is there to try to help me. When it comes to oil, I know exactly what I want. Any kind of chit chat on behalf of store staff just slows me down.

As far as prices, it's hard to beat Walmart, as much as I despise shopping there.

By the way, two of my local NAPA stores closed down in recent years.

I'm with Pete. We don't have any NAPA stores near me so I really can't comment about them.

I have a bad one. SJ oil on the shelf. Many boxes old and faded. Nothing ever put on sale. I have lived where NAPA was one of my favorites stores but not where I live now.

I bought quite a bit of stuff from Napa when I had the highest available discount available through the local Jeep club. Then, I got a rash of bad products (wheel bearing that failed, u joints that popped with little load, starter that didn't work) and I was done with them.

My NAPA is a mixed bag.
Newer store.The younger guys seem enthusiastic and try to be helpful .The older guys well not so much.

Example
Me- "Hi I'm looking for lubrimoly or liquimoly oil additive"
Parts guy- "Never heard of 'em.Do you have a parts number?"

WTH?
Needless to say between that and the higher prices there they don't get a lot of my business.

I really like NAPA because their parts seem to last longer than some of the other stuff purchased elsewhere. It does not matter where you shop, these parts are aftermarket and you can get a bad one on occasion. I had a bad radiator cap once LOLZ

The oil deal this month for Full Synthetic is awesome! $3,49 a quart, that's as cheap as regular oil. Recently, I bought a couple cases of their fleet oil (9.99/gal) for my diesel, and the engine shop recommended Rotella in my 5.7L Tahoe LOL

Guys, remember that NAPA has a national warranty on professionally installed parts. If you go to AZ or AAP their warranty is replacement only. Besides, my local NAPA gives me shop price on everything I buy, and it beats the discount stores every time.

The NAPA by me is staffed by old guys, always on the phone. Even when you stand at the counter waiting for them, they continue with the phone calls. The Car-quest down the road is worse. The old guy there just sits at the counter, no phone calls and asks what you want. Then looks confused, and points there over there. Never moves unless he has to go in the back for something. Probably neither one wants the walk in business, just the call in orders. I mostly avoid them now and go to O'Reillys or AutoZone.

All stores are only as good as their manager/franchise/owner, NAPA especially.

I prefer the AAP here... and in general since it is "local" Virginia company (I support VA and NC companies if I can... plus my AAP is well managed, Napa is good too but across town).

I live in a farming Parish of Louisiana. The the (2) NAPA stores here more or less cater to the farmers. Usually, the only vehicles parked in the gravel driveways are JD tractors.

Walmart stores in a nicer neighborhood is actually better than Target in term of customer services and cleaness.

Most Walmart stores in South Orange County, CA are very clean with good customer services, parking lot are plenty and clean without any beggar around. Walmart stores in Central and North Orange County are difference.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Walmart stores in a nicer neighborhood is actually better than Target in term of customer services and cleaness.

Most Walmart stores in South Orange County, CA are very clean with good customer services, parking lot are plenty and clean without any beggar around. Walmart stores in Central and North Orange County are difference.

Then when you get up here to San Bernardino, Los Angeles and Riverside Counties most of them go down the tube. I can think of a couple exceptions where they are actually pretty nice: the Chino Hills location (nicely organized and clean automotive dept. and they're open 24/7) and the Moreno Valley location (we stop at that one to pick up various supplies before we camp at Lake Perris).

Our local Napa is a good place to buy from. Good prices on oil when on sale. Also good source for Wix filters (napa Gold).
The guys behind the counter are friendly and talkative.
In my experience, Napa parts are of better quality than Autozone, and at least on par with Advance.

Our local Napa stores are pretty bad... Not trying to dis' on Napa in general, as I do believe many of them are run very professionally. But for me, my favorite place is Oreilly's. The guys down at Oreilly's are straight up and know their stuff. They will tell you what they know in any way to help. Albeit, their prices aren't the best, but they aren't the worst either. To me, it's the personality of the workers that make a store good or bad. And like I said, at my local Oreilly's, those guys are straight forward with you and are nice - if you have a problem they'll guide you in the right direction.

~ Triton

I prefer to go to the company store instead of a franchise. The chances of the company store having the part in stock is exponentially greater than a franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back