ISO beater under $3,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still say Miata, put some skinny tires on it, so it will do well in the rain and then pretend you're Fangio the rest of the time.
5856839294_e21b704192_z.jpg

You have a million options; it just depends on what you want.

Really, it's going to come down to individual cars, whether they are about to break expensively or are in basically good serviceable condition.

A $3000 car can be far from horrible.

If your budget is $3k and you want something to flip for a profit, you shouldn't be looking for a particular make/model, but for a deal. It'll be private party, and you need to constantly be looking at CL, Auto Trader, newspaper, etc.

Be ready to drive right over immediately and buy with cash in hand because the $3k deals don't last. The ones I have found usually already have someone coming over, sold or the couple I have scored the seller's phone is ringing off the hook as I am looking at the car.

I'd buy something fun like an old Jag, MG, Mercedes or BMW. 2000 ish Toyota? Ehh not my idea of "fun".

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I'd buy something fun like an old Jag, MG, Mercedes or BMW.

At under $3K, it'll likely be a money pit, alas, maybe he can get away with not fixing it and still making it through the summer, unless it's something like a cooling system issue that would require immediate attention.

I have two good options. One is a '97 F-150 with the 4.2 Essex and M5OD. The other is a 2000 Protege with a 5 speed but unknown engine. Both are friends' vehicles, so both are low risk.

With the Ford, the engine has been replaced due to the first one blowing a head gasket or front cover gasket. Should a reman engine be free of the material defects of the original engines? Or is this a design issue that will plague these forever? Otherwise, the truck is in very good condition; the owner was meticulous about maintenance and is a Ford guy.

The Mazda is another mostly known quantity. I bought my '97 Dakota from this friend a few years back. The Mazda has high miles but is a daily driver and is mechanically sound.

I like the truck because it's a better fit for what I do (mow lawns, haul my bike, etc). I like the Mazda because I like small 4s and this one should be easy to resell. Now the hard choice...

I'm looking at the F-150 first, only because it's much more local to me. The Mazda is 1.5 hours away. Will report back.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I feel dumb asking the question but what is an "ISO" beater?

ISO is the acronym for "International Organization for Standardization".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_standards
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Organization_for_Standardization

Quote:
The International Organization for Standardization, known as ISO, is an international standard-setting body composed of representatives from various national standards organizations.

Founded on 23 February 1947, the organization promotes worldwide proprietary, industrial and commercial standards. It is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.

I'm guessing Hokiefyd is looking for the "standard" beater. You know, something cheap but durable, something easily bought, easily fixed, easily maintained. That way it will be easily disposed of, as everyone knows its value.

When my 14yr-old Altima got totaled with 195k miles I was looking for JUST THAT model...with a stick of course...but couldn't find one in quickly (that happens after an accident)...I settled for the Kitacamry, @ 2x$ that I have high hopes will take me a long way....

Yes, ISO in this context means In Search Of...

The F-150 is probably out. It needs tires and paint is poor. None of which is entirely out of character for a $3k vehicle, but they do want $3k firm and I think it'll be hard to sell and break even.

The friend with the 2000 Protege is interested in selling. 169,000 miles and it's a daily driver. As long as the A/C works, I'll likely buy this, and try to score it for $1,300 or less. Even if I have to put a $150 set of used tires on it to sell it, I should be able to get most of my money back out of it. I can put an afternoon's worth of time into claying and detailing it, and hope to make some money in the fall.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

With the Ford, the engine has been replaced due to the first one blowing a head gasket or front cover gasket. Should a reman engine be free of the material defects of the original engines? Or is this a design issue that will plague these forever? Otherwise, the truck is in very good condition; the owner was meticulous about maintenance and is a Ford guy.

Depends on when the reman was done and who did it.

If it's a fairly recent one from a reputable company, like Jasper, it's probably good to go.

I think Ford corrected the gasket issues with the 4.2 around 2002 or so. Ones built after that should be pretty reliable. Remans from the mid 2000s on should be reliable if they were done by a reputable company.

What trim level is the truck? $3K is pretty much full market value for a typical 1997 4.2 manual. A Super Cab XLT in great condition would be worth a little more, maybe $4K, and a regular cab XL would only be worth that much if it was just about perfect. I am assuming the truck has over 100K miles.

Reselling would be an issue at that price if you want to turn a profit, especially with needing tires and the paint being in bad shape. The manual will make it a hard sell. Some people specifically look for a manual truck, but more will specifically look to avoid one, even when shopping old trucks.

On the plus side though, 4.2s are pretty easy to do basic maintenance type stuff on. It would be a fun beater to do some light wrenching on. I'd be more inclined to buy it as a long term second vehicle (assuming great condition), than try to turn a profit on it after a few months.

At $1300 the Protege might be an easier flip.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back