1998 Honda Civic LX Sedan ATX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just doing some general recon for a friend. This friend is interested in the car listed in the subject. Here is what I know about the car:
- One owner
- 170k miles
- 3k mile OCIs, consumes no oil (big plus IMO for no oil consumption)
- Timing belt done at 110k, no mention of water pump
- new upstream O2 sensor
- replaced muffler
- newer rack and pinion
- most of life spent in Georgia and Oklahoma
- Needs new tires
- No mention of ATX maintenance
- Asking price of $4000

Anyone know much about these cars? I'm sure it is fairly bulletproof but are there any things to watch out for? What about the price? Edmunds says dealer retail should be around $3k.

Hondas command ridiculous resale values, it seems. Not knocking them at all; it is what it is.

With that said, I'd certainly try to get it down to $3300.00. That car absolutely should go another 100k+, properly maintained.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Asking too much. Wasn't this the era of Hondas with [censored] auto transmissions?

For this gen Civic it was just the HX that had the CVT. They didn't last long.

This is the last generation Civic I liked, but $4k for a 16 year old economy car with 170k miles? That's a tough pill to swallow.

It may be a decent car, but the price is too high. I would not consider paying more than $3k for it.

The steering rack was probably replaced because it developed a leak, and it probably developed a leak because the power steering fluid was never refreshed and perhaps a dust boot was left torn for too long. If I'm right about that then it seems the owner only did the most basic maintenance (oil changes), and probably didn't bother looking after the transmission.

One more suspect: If it lived down south all its life then why did the exhaust rust through?

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect

One more suspect: If it lived down south all its life then why did the exhaust rust through?

Seems to be common problem with this car.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
$4000 is a LOT for a car with 170,000 miles! Especially needing $3-400 worth of tires.

$4000 down here will get you a 2003-2004 Civic with lower miles.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
$4000 is a LOT for a car with 170,000 miles! Especially needing $3-400 worth of tires.

$4000 down here will get you a 2003-2004 Civic with lower miles.

I sold my 2003 EX with 97k and a poorly paint matched rear bumper for $6700.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back