Yamaha VXS Waverunner....opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seriously considering getting a watercraft this spring. The Yamaha VXS seems to fit the bill with great power to cost ratio. Anybody out there have any comments on this PWC? I've had other watercraft in the past (Seadoo, Honda) but never a Yamaha. I've seen on the internet that they are highly rated...but would like to hear any opinions if any of you folks have any.

I had use of a 2001 or 2002 model Waverunner 800 XLT a few seasons ago when a friend of mine was away and I kept his for a summer. I liked it quite a bit. I like Yamaha's "water spout". I also preferred the throttle trigger to the Bombardier products.

I'd never buy one new. So many people buy them with great intentions and later sell for half the cost of new after a season or two. I don't know if you're looking new or used, but it sounds like you have some experience either way.

I have a couple of 2008 VX series Waverunners, and they are reliable, economical, and fun enough for me. I think the VXS has a 1800cc engine whereas my VX's have a 1100cc engine. I have enough hp to pull a skier not to mention tubes and other water toys. I have GPS'd mine at 52mph on a smooth, still lake, plenty fast enough and still burns only regular unleaded. I have done minimal maintenance each year. I only change plugs, oil, and filter each spring and they're good to go for the entire season. My brother-in-law has a SeaDoo and wants me to buy it so HE can get a Yammy, but no deal from my point of view.

I say go for it.

Originally Posted By: lyle
I have a couple of 2008 VX series Waverunners, and they are reliable, economical, and fun enough for me. I think the VXS has a 1800cc engine whereas my VX's have a 1100cc engine. I have enough hp to pull a skier not to mention tubes and other water toys. I have GPS'd mine at 52mph on a smooth, still lake, plenty fast enough and still burns only regular unleaded. I have done minimal maintenance each year. I only change plugs, oil, and filter each spring and they're good to go for the entire season. My brother-in-law has a SeaDoo and wants me to buy it so HE can get a Yammy, but no deal from my point of view.

I say go for it.

Thanks...yes, I have considered the VX Cruiser. I know that they are very reliable and have great economy...second to none. My ONLY issue, if you could call it that, is if I would be satisfied with a ten mph lower top speed and lower torque than the VXS.
I know my girlfriend would never want to go over 50 or so if she was on the back....but I like to zip across flat, calm water, the faster, the better. I'm a bit torn on making a decision between the two. It's about a $2k price difference as well. My mature side is telling me the VX....my evil side is saying...get the VXS. Lol.....tough decision. I think short term I would be fine with a slower ski...but those days when I want to tear across open water on a smooth morning??? I don't know!

Yamaha's are very reliable as are the 4-stroke sea doo's. Personally I'm a sea foo guy, I have an RXP which is modded and moves pretty good but I have friends with yahmaha's who have been very pleased with those as well. To be perfectly honest, you can't go wrong either way especially when you're getting an NA motor. Both will run on 87 and won't require SC maintenance.

BTW: check out greenhulk.net if you want more info on your ski. (I know the name seems funny and you may be skeptical but its actually names after the 04 RXP which was green and black) It's the largest PWC forum for couches.

Originally Posted By: oct6454
Yamaha's are very reliable as are the 4-stroke sea doo's. Personally I'm a sea foo guy, I have an RXP which is modded and moves pretty good but I have friends with yahmaha's who have been very pleased with those as well. To be perfectly honest, you can't go wrong either way especially when you're getting an NA motor. Both will run on 87 and won't require SC maintenance.

BTW: check out greenhulk.net if you want more info on your ski. (I know the name seems funny and you may be skeptical but its actually names after the 04 RXP which was green and black) It's the largest PWC forum for couches.

Thanks...I'll check out that website. I've owned three watercraft starting about 12 years ago and ending about four years after that. I miss having one.
Well, I'll get some more info and then maybe go jump into the arena and face the dreaded salesman. I hope to get a decent purchase below msrp with a trailer and extended warranty.

My local dealership has a good price on a Yamaha VXR (not the VXS I'd originally wanted). It's a 2013 year model, new (display). I may get that one. I've been reading that the VXS/VXR line isn't very good in choppy water. I would guess a deeper v-hull would better for that. My biggest concern would be if it is 'tippy' riding two-up as my girlfriend gets frightened easily if a boat tips a bit. I had a smaller Honda R12 watercraft before and that one was awfully tippy...even with just me on it. I didn't care for that model too much. It's too bad they don't have a test-ride available. I'd get the VX Cruiser as I'm sure a model commonly used for rental fleets would be stable....but the lower power might hamper my fun at wake jumping.
Decisions....!

The VXS and VXR do have relatively flat bottoms to them. But for a ski of that size I wouldn't worry about it. In my opinion go with the more power...they both be wayyy more stable then your honda.

Bad news....my local dealer was hard-core in the negotiating. I'd say rude. With 'dealer prep' and 'destination charges' added in the price was way too high. I wanted a single PWC trailer as well but the total came to $16,100! (I have no idea what the $100 was for). I came back with an offer of $14,500 and said I'd sign the paperwork immediatly.
I was told no way that they would sell it that low. I walked...politely.
So, no watercraft for me at that price. Not worth it. I have plenty of cash to get one, but I won't be taken either.

Last edited:
Are there Sea Doo or Kawasaki dealers you like in your area? If you want bells & whistles, try a GTI limited with the 155 hp motor. If you want fun-to-drive and a little more speed (also without supercharger maintenance) try an STX-15f. If you're riding in big-time chop, try an Ultra LX. All will be less expensive!

I've only rented a VX hull Yamaha. It was fine- stable, predictable, good in smooth water, and awfully slowwww... Having said that, rental companies love 'em because they're reliable.

Wow that is a lot of money for a pwc. I bought a 2007 seadoo gti 130hp rotax last year for $3500 with 400 hours. Maintained correctly they can go over 1000 hours. My previous ski to that was a 97 Yamaha that was super fast but not stable at all. My seadoo is virtually un-tippable. Nice easy ride, and while it isn't the fastest thing on the lake it holds at just over 50 mph and runs so nice and quiet that I will never trade up till this one dies.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Wow that is a lot of money for a pwc. I bought a 2007 seadoo gti 130hp rotax last year for $3500 with 400 hours. Maintained correctly they can go over 1000 hours. My previous ski to that was a 97 Yamaha that was super fast but not stable at all. My seadoo is virtually un-tippable. Nice easy ride, and while it isn't the fastest thing on the lake it holds at just over 50 mph and runs so nice and quiet that I will never trade up till this one dies.

For a brand new watercraft w/new trailer, it's very normal to pay over $10k for a higher end model in the product line. Yes, I could go out and find plenty of used ones for half or less.....but I would not buy a used watercraft. I'm not a PWC mechanical expert and have known of many horror stories from the engines being trashed. Plus, you generally can't just take a used model out for a spin. Best you can do is a start up in the driveway with a hose hooked up. Not for me. It's brand new or not at all. At this point the dealer was a jerk anyway so I'll pass. I won't be funding his next trip to Hawaii.

I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to spend too much on a new pwc. But IMHO used is where it's at because of people just like you that are afraid of them. If someone doesn't want you to take it out for a spin then to heck with them, around here everyone encourages u to test drive anything on the water. If you don't need the latest and greatest you can find great deals on a pwc, and you don't need to know everything. Heck my first one lasted 3 years and I paid under $1500 and included a trailer, and I knew NOTHING about them when I bought it. But it started up good and ran strong. I drove the heck out of it for three years. It only left me stranded once, which totally sucked, but compared to over 10k I will chill for an hour or so on the lake.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Bad news....my local dealer was hard-core in the negotiating. I'd say rude. With 'dealer prep' and 'destination charges' added in the price was way too high. I wanted a single PWC trailer as well but the total came to $16,100! (I have no idea what the $100 was for). I came back with an offer of $14,500 and said I'd sign the paperwork immediatly.
I was told no way that they would sell it that low. I walked...politely.
So, no watercraft for me at that price. Not worth it. I have plenty of cash to get one, but I won't be taken either.

$16,100 is WAY TOO much!!!
I just paid 15k OTD for a 14 SeaDoo RXP-X which I LOVE so far. New Com Fab Galvanized trailer included in the deal. Yes it is a high maintenance machine , but I just accepted that you have to pay to play.

I also have a 06 Honda R12X Turbo that runs beautifully with 509 hours on it.

The VXS is a Great Ski. The entry level VX is a great ski as well , but you will be MUCH happier with a VXS. VXS are known to hit a 67-68mph stock on the GPS. Even if you don't always need the top speed, the acceleration difference will be night ,and day. I personally wouldn't pay more than 13k OTD with trailer for a VXS. It shouldn't be that hard to get that deal. Have you considered a brand new leftover 13 model?

Last edited:
I missed where you said it was a 13 model the first time.
Definitely wouldn't pay more than 13 OTD.

I've tried two PWC dealers in the area and none of them will take my offer offers for a 2014 Yamaha FX HO or FX Cruiser. So....no matter pretty much where I go around here, I can't get a Yamaha Waverunner with the 1.8 engine for under $16,000 (with trailer). It's just the way it is at this time of year I assume. I think I could have walked in and handed them the cash in my hand and they would have refused. Weird.
But....after all of my phone calls and visits, plus re-prioritizing my watercraft needs, I've come to the conclusion that a 2014 Yamaha VX Deluxe with the new, lighter Nano hull (65 lbs lighter than models before 2013) will be just fine. The new hull has improved the agility, acceleration, and speed a bit. I don't need to go faster than 50-55 anyway. Also, you just can't find a more reliable PWC engine than that 1052cc 4-stroke. Lowest fuel usage of a full size PWC as well....so I'll be happy.
Getting a 2014 model in carbon color w/galvanized trailer and five year extended warranty for about $10k out-the-door.

A VXS should be a good bit cheaper than the FX models.
The VX shoould serve you well though. Congrats!

True....but I read quite a bit about the VXS not being very well suited on choppy water. Still, they wouldn't take my offer. An odd thing is that the VX shares the same hull (at least from what I've tried to find out) yet is good in the chop. Maybe an overall weight difference with the 1.8L from the VXS is why?? I'm sure the VX will be perfectly fine. With the lighter hull it should feel a bit sportier and faster than previous years. I mostly just enjoy cruising along the shore looking at homes and stuff. Occasionally I like to jump wakes and high speed cuts. From all the online sources I could lump together (including vids), the new VX is highly rated for value and fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back