Rebuilt engine warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
As it turns out, I'll probably get a valve job on my 4.3, rather than replacing the engine. However, I did some online shopping and found a local rebuilder that offers a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty. Interesting, I thought. Then I read the warranty. To keep the warranty in place, you have to change the oil every 3,000 miles with receipts. OK, I guess I could live with that, except that effectively means you can't use your oil stash because the dates on the receipts won't match up. But then, it says you also have to change the air filter and fuel filter every 6,000 miles. Um, what? Also, oil leaks are covered for 30 days, no exceptions. So it looks like they are really trying to find ways not to warranty engines.

You might say, well, it's their shop, and they can set the warranty terms. True enough, and I can spend my money elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: GoStumpy
6000 miles for a fuel filter? LOL!

Got to void that warranty somehow, can you imagine changing the fuel filter on a car every 6k that has a in the tank filter. Ouch

Originally Posted By: GoStumpy
6000 miles for a fuel filter? LOL!

I would call them out on this. See if they could remove this requirement and get it in writing. Many cars have a lifetime fuel filter, changing it almost as often as the oil is absolutely ridiculous. You are probably causing more wear changing that often then just leaving it alone for the life of the vehicle.

Easy, when the 3,000 miles are up run to Walmart and buy oil and a filter. Then return the oil and filter. Walmart usually let's you keep your old receipt. Then you can change your oil whenever you want, just keep receipts. Also for air and fuel filters too.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Easy, when the 3,000 miles are up run to Walmart and buy oil and a filter. Then return the oil and filter. Walmart usually let's you keep your old receipt. Then you can change your oil whenever you want, just keep receipts. Also for air and fuel filters too.

Unfortunately Walmart is going to catch on.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Unfortunately Walmart is going to catch on.

Nope. You "could" do this for documentation purposes if you were inclined to do so. Wal-Mart doesn't care if you buy an item and then return it and will let you keep the receipts.

This happened years ago....I bought a rebuilt diesel engine for our company's VW Rabbit from ATK. From day one, it leaked engine oil.

I contacted ATK and they told me to bring it to a VW dealer to have trace dye put in the crankcase to locate the leak.

First issue: Finding a dealership that would do this once they found out it was an ATK rebuild. Not only no but [censored] no.

I eventually found a dealership that agreed to leak check the engine and there were several leak points.

Second issue: ATK authorized the repairs (on our dime....RED FLAG) at this dealership but denied re-imbursement because they claimed the returned clutch and leaky seals did not have leak check dye on them.

So, yeah. They will do anything including flat out denying any kind of warranty claim.

BTW, about 6k miles later the engine developed what appeared to be a head gasket leak. I pulled the head and found an 1/8" sized hole in the No. 2 cylinder wall. Looked like it was a casting inclusion (flaw).

I don't see what a fuel filter has to do with an engine warranty; it's not like it's gonna go into bypass like an oil filter would. When a fuel filter clogs up, the engine stops running.

Sounds like a lot of work. I'd just let them know I'm taking my business elsewhere because of their ridiculous warranty requirements.

It seems to me like others mentioned that if you ever need to use their warranty it would be worth about as much as the paper its written on.

I know the manager of a local O'Reilly store and a couple of months ago I was talking to him about their rebuilt line of engines. He told me that the only thing needed there to validate the warranty was to buy a new water pump at the time of the install. I don't know if they have a house brand of reman engines or if it is a well-known aftermarket brand.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
I know the manager of a local O'Reilly store and a couple of months ago I was talking to him about their rebuilt line of engines. He told me that the only thing needed there to validate the warranty was to buy a new water pump at the time of the install. I don't know if they have a house brand of reman engines or if it is a well-known aftermarket brand.

That seems reasonable.

Junkyards here require new oil, filter, and spark plugs on their new used engines. That's it. Though this only covers against rod knock for 30 days.

The reman engine I got for my Jeep failed at startup. It was replaced and the majority of the second install cost was covered.

I would look for a reman rather than a rebuilt.

For any GM motor I wouldn't bother with aftermarket rebuilds I'd just get a GM rebuild from Goodwrench.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would look for a reman rather than a rebuilt.

o-rly.jpg

Reman and rebuilt is the same thing...

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Reman and rebuilt is the same thing...

No they're not.

Quote:

REBUILT ENGINES, TRANSMISSIONS AND DIFFERENTIALS
To rebuild is to recondition by cleaning, inspecting and replacing severely worn or broken parts. Serviceable parts are reused within the manufacturer's acceptable wear limits. The quality of rebuilt components varies widely and many come with only a limited warranty.

REMANUFACTURED ENGINES, TRANSMISSIONS AND DIFFERENTIALS
To remanufacture is to make as close to new as possible. Most wearable parts are automatically replaced. All core material is closely inspected and checked against original equipment specifications for correct dimensional tolerances. Replacement parts are new or requalified. If new, parts are made in the same production processes as original equipment. Testing is performed to manufacturer specifications and original production standards.

Choose for yourself, but know that JASPER will only provide completely remanufactured engines, transmissions, differentials and drivetrain products — or any of our other remanufactured components — with a nationwide warranty. You can drive away from your technician's shop with confidence if you have a JASPER reman component.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back