Anybody fertilize with corn gluten?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The house I purchased has a fairly neglected lawn. It's pretty thatched and there's not much grass there under all that thatch. This fall I'll be over-seeding and aerating, but that's months away. Due to a number of factors, including this plot being the lowest around and getting pets soon, I'm leaning toward corn gluten since it's looking to be the safest. Any experiences with corn gluten as a fertilizer?

Corn Gluten prevents seeds from sprouting. All seeds.
It works for a few months.
As it gets eaten by bacteria it provides nutrients. Feed the bacteria that poo, and their poo feeds your lawn.

Good stuff, just don't seed anytime soon and you will be good.
It will do a number on the weeds!

I have looked into it, but its very expensive for the fertilizer you get. The place I found on the internet charged an extra shipping fee on top of regular shipping that just made it too expensive. It will also act as per-emergent lawn weed control but only for about 6 weeks. But it prevents all seeds.

Put it on now and you will be fine seeding in the fall.

I have read that granular is best.

Consumer Reports recommends it.

Put a bag or two of cow manure on your thatch, and it will get thinner.

Bacteria need a jump start...

Also go slow when mowing, and use a mulch blade.

The garden guy on the local radio station loves it. I am sure it works, but am put off by the cost and difficulty in finding it.

I probably wouldn't do anything until the fall when you over-seed. Then I would use lime, seed, and starter fertilizer, and cover it up with a layer of peat moss.

I believe aerating is a waste of time. Let the grass do its thing (grow long, and don't cut it), and stay off of it. I keep my grass as long as possible, and put off mowing it only when absolutely necessary. That allows it to out-compete weeds, and the thatch breaks down in the moist, shady env of the tall grass.

I should add that I do not use any weed-killer (my dog and kids thank me), and only occasionally fertilize and lime in the fall.

Did I mention to let the grass do its thing?

Last edited:
the reading I have done says it does NOT work. The university where it was "discovered" later did another research project and found it did not work. I asked a manufacturer of it via e mail they said "a strong lawn will prevent weeds"I am trying some but so far not as good as haltz.
where does consumer reports recommend it?? whats the link please?

Originally Posted By: sciphi
The house I purchased has a fairly neglected lawn. It's pretty thatched and there's not much grass there under all that thatch. This fall I'll be over-seeding and aerating, but that's months away. Due to a number of factors, including this plot being the lowest around and getting pets soon, I'm leaning toward corn gluten since it's looking to be the safest. Any experiences with corn gluten as a fertilizer?

HD here rents a gas-powered lawn de-thatcher. That would make quick work of it. They also rent aeraters. If your soil is hard, water well the day before you aerate.

Why wait till Fall? Spring & Summer are your growing seasons, when the days are longer.

I'm skeptical of corn gluten, especially as a fertilizer. If you really want to know where to start, get a soil test. Else, apply a lawn fertilizer recommended for both your area & grass type as soon as it's warm enough for your grass to begin growing.

I'd relate my own grass story to you, however it's very different here vs. your location.

I will add this however, when my soil test came back the soil nitrogen level was a 10 on a scale of 0-100! The "P" and "K" were off the charts high. My lawn was starving to death. Plus I needed to add acidic material as it's very alkaline here, including the water. So I stopped buying any fertilizer with phosphorus or potash in it, like 13-13-13.

I ended up at a local garden center. They referred me to a locally-made 10-6-4 "high-organic-content" non-burning fertilizer that is their most popular fertilizer. I figured I couldn't go wrong with a locally-made product meant for this area. Seeing how it is water-activated and the forecast for the next few days is for showers, I'll apply it along with re-seeding the more barren spots, and see where it gets me.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
the reading I have done says it does NOT work. The university where it was "discovered" later did another research project and found it did not work. I asked a manufacturer of it via e mail they said "a strong lawn will prevent weeds"I am trying some but so far not as good as haltz.
where does consumer reports recommend it?? whats the link please?

The latest issue of their paper magazine recommends it. This is something they have certainly tested. They have a test center in FL to test mowers so I assume thats where it was tested. You may need to spring for a copy of the magazine.

I ended up at a local garden center. They referred me to a locally-made 10-6-4 "high-organic-content" non-burning fertilizer that is their most popular fertilizer. I figured I couldn't go wrong with a locally-made product meant for this area. Seeing how it is water-activated and the forecast for the next few days is for showers, I'll apply it along with re-seeding the more barren spots, and see where it gets me.

Actually I believe its illegal to put any fertilizer on your lawn that contains phosphorus (middle number). If you look at a bag of Scotts its something like 20-0-4. Garden yes, lawn no.

You want a slow release fertilizer according to Consumer Reports more than organic.

Donald, I looked up the law, and yes, it is illegal to put on fertilizer containing phosphorus after the first year of establishing a lawn. Clearly they're not making a concerted enforcement effort, though, since multiple brands of lawn fertilizer containing phosphorus are readily available at every single home-improvement and garden store in the area.

Oh well, I know now. The penalty for the first infraction is a warning and literature on how to avoid phosphorus-containing fertilizer. Mea culpa, I'll get zero-phosphorus next time.

That'll work. I started brand shopping fertilizer years ago when the price rose out of sight.

All fertilizer is water-activated. It needs to be to work.

I'd hold off on seed if you're expecting multi-day showers, as it'll just wash off the bare spots.

When you do put it down, either lightly rake it in or disburse a light layer of peat moss or compost on top to both keep it in place and hold moisture against it so it'll germinate. The peat, being acidic, will protect it from fungus as well.

I put down some seed on the really thatched areas after dethatching, and did lightly rake it. There were some bare spots that got re-seeded and raked also. We're expecting some light rain overnight, but otherwise dry the rest of the week.

NY does allow limited phosphorus use for re-seeding, which is the loophole through which fertilizer containing phosphorus is sold here. Since I purchased seed and fertilizer at the same time, it was legal for me to apply it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back