Kohler engine noise. What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a Kohler 26hp courage on my mower. Last July it started doing this weird thing when i start it. Basically, when i turn the key it attempts to turn over and makes a grinding noise for a second, then turns over and starts. What could this be? I do routine maintenance and the engine has 235 hours.

The starter typically engages with the flywheel. It's typically not terribly difficult to replace, especially on a vertical shaft engine like that. It will be at the top of the engine, under some of the covers. It's very likely a starter problem that a new starter will solve.

Also check battery connections. Sometimes a weak battery takes a few revolutions to keep the starter gear kicked up and engaged.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
I know the starter isnt a huge thing to replace. What about the other two?

Its all part of the starter, although "back in the day" we'd always dismantle the starter to put in a new sprag-and-pinion rather than swapping the parts store for a complete rebuilt starter. Usually throw in new brushes and polishing the commutator with crokus cloth (the ancestor of Scotch-brite).

The worst case would be that the teeth on the flywheel ring gear are chewed up, but on an OPE engine its not even that awful to pull the flywheel. But I'm betting a new starter would fix it.

How old is the battery? I'd put a voltmeter across it with the machine off and also with it idling. Should be 12VDC off and closer to 14VDC at idle.

If you want these batteries to last, you have to keep a trickle charger on them for long periods of no use.

Last edited:
Pull the starter and check the Bendix Pinon gear for wear on the teeth closest to the engine. It could be a bad battery, starter or solenoid.

Never replaced the battery. But never let it sit in the winter longer than 3-4 weeks without starting it. In the summer it runs 2 days a week.

You know a "real man" would put a pull starter on that thing...
lol.gif

J/K pull the starter and take it to a rebuilder.

Does it sound like gears clashing or more of an electrical growl? Try jump starting it, if the problem goes away its just a half dead battery.

+1 on the starter. Some places don't even rebuild them anymore and you have to get a new one. I'd check around on ebay you might be able to find a good used one.

Two areas on these lawn tractors are problems: The battery and the starter.

The starters are notorious for getting weak and being hard to start.

You can change the starter in 5 minutes - disconnect the positive battery line and 2 mounting bolts. You don't even have to remove the plastic engine cover. Cheap to buy on Amazon.

Batteries don't last either. I get 4 years out of a battery.

Do an Internet search on the starter problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back