Does oil go bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found an open jug of Mobil-1 in my garage hidden behind some stuff.
It was sitting there for years, enduring Toronto temperatures.

Is it useable?

Thanks.

Probably be OK providing the lid was on tight. I'd only use it in older vehicles though where the outdated API rating wouldn't matter much.

I would not use it, thats just me. Additives could be stuck to the bottom. Its seen hot / cold temperatures right? Also if the jug is not sealed (I know pennozil doesnt foil seal there caps, not sure about Mobil 1), things can get in, and out of the jug. Will your engine explode, no...but would I use it, no.

There was another poster on BITOG recently who is using 50 year old SE oil now. If the lid was on tight for yours, use it. That stuff is made to withstand 300 degrees (cold won't hurt it).

If lid tight, shake well, and if it looks okay, should be okay.
If it doesn't look right, I wouldn't use it.
If not sure, wouldn't be worth an analysis (to me) unless it's a good bit of stash. But then again, I'd probably just buy fresh off the shelf stuff. Or use it in something that doesn't matter much.

It'll be fine.
Oil is shelf stable for the life of the bottle (or even can) containing it.

Originally Posted By: Hollow
Shake well and use in anything that its' specs meet.

Follow that advice.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: FetchFar
There was another poster on BITOG recently who is using 50 year old SE oil now. If the lid was on tight for yours, use it. That stuff is made to withstand 300 degrees (cold won't hurt it).

50 year old SE oil? I didn't think SE went back that far.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

50 year old SE oil? I didn't think SE went back that far.

Yeah, going back that far, I think you're looking at SC.

If I recall correctly, that was superseded before '70.

Antique oil for sure.

Originally Posted By: alexolog
I found an open jug of Mobil-1 in my garage hidden behind some stuff.
It was sitting there for years, enduring Toronto temperatures.

Is it useable?

Thanks.

While not exactly similar fluids, I find it interesting that some blenders advocate a 5 year shelf life for engine oil sealed in a bottle, but do not object to or contradict manufacturers placing ATF into sealed transmission/transaxle units for "life-time" service, often exceeding 5 years.

I guess if it's a high-end engine worth a fortune, the cost of not using "expired" oil is incidental and worth the absolute certainty. But for the average ride or less, I'm not going to get rid of unopened top-tier synthetic oil because it's over 5 years old.

I'm running 7 and 8 year old GC in a couple of very nice engines right now.

As said above, as long as it's been kept in a well-sealed state, and the approvals and weight fits the engine and conditions, I'd use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back