Need Air Compressor recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a Air Compressor to power the big 1/2" drive impact guns. Being in Chicago we get our share of rusted suspension parts. The thred that recommended the guns may require what my AC puts out. No I won't be using in a shop and I use a 120volt house hold juice.
Below is what my Sears AC will do.

Air Tank Cap; 12 gal
HP; 1
SCFM @ 100 psig; 5.1
SCFM @ 90 psig; 5.3
SCFM @ 40 psig; 6.6

So the above is what I have, I just need to update to MORE POWER.

I have a 27 Gallon compressor. Even with that air capacity, if you need to remove a stubborn bolt that has anything over 150 lbs of torque on it, you need a large amount of air to keep up with the gun. Otherwise you will be waiting for the compressor to fill the tank back up.

How many gallons is your compressor?

Regards, JC.

60 gallon tank minimum.

At least 150 PSI.

At least 15 SCFM.

It will be a 230 volt model.

Go Ingersol Rand

I am not sure what your question is. If you can afford it and have 30 amp 220V then a 2 stage, 60 gallon tank with 5 HP motor.

If you are limited to 110V, then you really cannot get a lot of high pressure air. Cordless may be the way for you.

Need to stay in the 110-120 volt range for now. Anything out there? I have a HF electric thats 110-120v, but only puts out 230lbs/inch. Barely removes a lugnut.

Originally Posted By: My442
60 gallon tank minimum.

At least 150 PSI.

At least 15 SCFM.

Go Ingersol Rand

Yep, those specs would work!!! In my opinion Ingersoll's quality has dropped over the last 15-20 years.

"box store" compressors are Junk no matter the brand.

Originally Posted By: Da Game
Need to stay in the 110-120 volt range for now. Anything out there? I have a HF electric thats 110-120v, but only puts out 230lbs/inch. Barely removes a lugnut.

Sounds to me as if you need a better impact wrench. I have one of these
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-horsepow...ssor-61454.html

And have no trouble with lug nuts or other rusted bolts/nuts. This is the wrench I have
http://www.ampro-usa.com/ProductDetail.aspx?id=19031&PR_CA_id=282&strFromURL=ProductList

Picked it up at a pawn shop in like new condition for $20.00.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Da Game

I am not sure what you are referring to. An air compressor is rated in SCFM @ xx PSI. An impact wrench is rated at ft/lbs or in/lbs.

Your current impact wrench is pneumatic?

Before spending bigb$$ Try increasing your air line and fittings to 3/8 from 1/4 which is commonly overlooked and improves pressure at tool with higher cfm use. Most service bays use 3/8 or 1/2 lines and fittings . Big box stores, Hf usually push 1/4 lines and fittings that cause a pressure drop at high cfm tool

Your corded electric impact wrench has max torque of 230 ft/lbs. They do not list reverse torque which is what you actually get at a socket.

I do not think you will get high torque from any pneumatic impact (even a high end IR) when its connected to a 110V compressor. Maybe enough air for one short squeeze of the trigger. Thats it.

If you want high torque in the 500 to 1000 ft/lb range your only option is a high end IR or Milwaukee cordless. My Milwaukee M18 Fuel is over 1000 ft/lbs. Not cheap.

Or add a 220V 30 amp circuit and get a 5 HP 2 stage compressor.

Last edited:
The compressor you have now is fine for DIY impact gun use. Just make sure you get a good impact gun like the HF Earthquake.

I have run the HF Earthquake 1/2" on a 4 gal Hitachi with 3/8 line and Milton V fittings and it has plenty of power.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I do not think you will get high torque from any pneumatic impact (even a high end IR) when its connected to a 110V compressor. Maybe enough air for one short squeeze of the trigger. Thats it.

So my 21 gal. tank of 100 lb. compressed air is only going to allow a short squeeze of my impact gun???????????

OOOOOOOOOOooooooKay

Originally Posted By: brages
The compressor you have now is fine for DIY impact gun use. Just make sure you get a good impact gun like the HF Earthquake.

I have run the HF Earthquake 1/2" on a 4 gal Hitachi with 3/8 line and Milton V fittings and it has plenty of power.

Yep, this is the setup that I used to have. The HF Earthquake is the best $/torque value out there. I ran mine off of a cheap 27 gallon Coleman oil-less upright compressor and it would blow the rusted nuts off of suspension part up here in the heart of the rust belt. The impact also has a dial to moderate the amount of torque so you can go at thing with less than max to avoid breaking off bolts.

I now run it off of an old CH 11 gal compressor and that has just enough capacity to get the lugs off of one tire at a time and then I need to let it catch up for the next tire.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: My442
60 gallon tank minimum.

At least 150 PSI.

At least 15 SCFM.

Go Ingersol Rand

Yep, those specs would work!!! In my opinion Ingersoll's quality has dropped over the last 15-20 years.

"box store" compressors are Junk no matter the brand.

Box store compressors are junk?
You don't have a clue what your talking about. The Honda powered rigid 5.5 hp twin tank is as good as anything I've got onsite right now.
I've got 16 gas powered air compressors,so I'm very familiar with them,intimately you could say.
Truth be known most pumps are imported from China,no matter what the name painted on the unit.

OP
Look for a large capacity,oiled pump belt driven type compressor. The motor and pump are easily replaced. The oil-less units are junk and not worth buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back