Is 75k considered high mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was researching oil filters and saw one oil company suggesting to move up to 10w40 from 5w30 for Sienna vehicles over 75k. Is this a common practice for oil and higher mileage? If so is 75k really high mileage?

Originally Posted By: Kuato
IMO, no. Never used hm oil on any vehicle up to 200k.

Meaning don't use hm oil on anything less than 200k?

Valvoline instant oil change recommends it for anything over 70K. Granted, with them , it's just a ploy.

If you don't have any reason to use it (IE - no consumption, leaks), I don't see a reason to use it.

It's marketing to make you (and most of the population) feel included, special, and potentially have fear, uncertainty, and doubt about your generic oil.

32.gif
It's like that dating site "christianmingle.com" where a person can look at a pretty large subset of the general US population. And be SPECIAL!!

It's marketing, "rubbish" as they say. I have two pickups with close to 300,000 miles on them and I don't consider them high mileage.

what oil company said that???High mileage oil is good if your car is leaking or burning a lot of oil... Sometimes hm oil works well

75,000 is not the number... Its when you see the seals leaking or blue smoke out your tail pipe

Originally Posted By: 06AllAmerican
I was researching oil filters and saw one oil company suggesting to move up to 10w40 from 5w30 for Sienna vehicles over 75k. Is this a common practice for oil and higher mileage? If so is 75k really high mileage?

It is not, and that is worthless advice. It is no longer the 1960's.

To a BITOGER 75K isn't high mileage. To the stealership or oil company's marketing department it is high mileage. I have a 1998 Toyota Sienna with over 262,xxx km and there is a bit of sludge built up in the corners of the valve cover I'm currently using Mobil 1 5w-30. It runs like a champ and doesn't burn oil.

What year is your Sienna?

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
what oil company said that???High mileage oil is good if your car is leaking or burning a lot of oil... Sometimes hm oil works well

75,000 is not the number... Its when you see the seals leaking or blue smoke out your tail pipe

AMSOIL. "Does your car have over 75,000 miles? Seeking a high mileage oil? Have oil consumption? Consider one of the oils below instead!"

I don't think so. my engine has run on Mobil 1 since the first OCI does that mean at 74,999 It is still okay to use it but at 75K it needs HM oil?

I don't buy it, it sounds like nothing more than marketing.

If the Sienna in question has no leaks and no excessive oil consumption, then you should leave well enough alone.
When and if the engine begins to exhibit either leaks or high oil consumption, you could then consider an HM oil or a thcker grade or both.
Mileage is like age.
Some 75K engines are trashed while others are just fine at twice that number, just as some cars are trashed at seven or eight years while others are pristine after fourteen or fifteen years of use.
It's all a matter of how you treat things and the maintenance you perform.

Originally Posted By: Hollow

It is not, and that is worthless advice. It is no longer the 1960's.

or the 70s, 80s or 90s.....engines designed in this century are robotically built to higher specs....100k miles in this century is the 50k mile-marker of yester-century...same goes for oils too BTW...run 2x as long for the same price of last century's typical oil.

Last edited:

It is if you are selling HM oil.

I have never used a HM oil ever. In all my vehicles, I have had two exceed 300k and a handful exceed 200k. They all were running when I let them go. Had a few with minor leaks, none big burners.
Current three vehicles, one 62k, one 106k, forget the other but just a little over 100k. No thoughts of trying a HM oil.
HM oil just never entered my mind when buying oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back