How often to lube brakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sliding surfaces of the brake pads ears that is. I lubed all three vehicles this fall, tide I pulled a wheel liner on the Jetta to check some corrosion, and decided to pull pads too. No grease left at all! I had used Sta-Lube, some time this fall, maybe November, and I've only driven 10k since then. The pads were not frozen but not quite loose either.

I'm guessing I need to pull the brakes on the two now also, and that I need to do this 2x a year.

That is two times more this year than I will do it :p. brakes are the final frontier for me, I guess someday I will educAte myself on how to really take care of them, until then brakes and AC problems are handled by a local mechanic.

Well, pads are easy. Rotors can be hard. But touching the hydraulic lines is where I quit. I watched a mechanic work for darn near two hours to bleed the brakes on mine, after changing calipers. ABS pump just did not want to give I guess.

I'm guessing you don't have the salt issues I do. And you probably use the brakes more. I have over 120k on this set of pads, and they measure 0.36inch of material. I find when they freeze the parking brake stops working and or I get poor life.

Last edited:
I do almost all hwy driving so pads seem to last over 75k. I do bleed my brakes, but I have only done pads once and it just made me feel uneasy since I just don't know much about them.

And yeah, except for this winter our roads only get salted once or twice a year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
I'm guessing you don't have the salt issues I do. And you probably use the brakes more. I have over 120k on this set of pads, and they measure 0.36inch of material. I find when they freeze the parking brake stops working and or I get poor life.

This is where servicing taxis spoiled me. With the city mileage that they accumulate in such short order, nothing has a chance to rust or seize. Brake jobs work just as smoothly as those ones on the TV shows where the garage floors look clean enough to dine off of.
wink.gif

Living in the rust belt, you generally want to do this in the spring, given the majority of your crud and corrosion build-up is going to happen over the winter for a typical daily driver.

Once a year is fine and for me, doubles the life of my pads and rotors.

Like said above, for me, my DIY brake work stops at the brake lines.

My son's dealership recommends once a year. I was going to do it when I changed to the summer tires but I didn't have the time. Will likely do it sometime through the summer.

I need to buy a bag of the stainless steel clips too. A metal file isn't getting the job done.

Originally Posted By: supton
I need to buy a bag of the stainless steel clips too. A metal file isn't getting the job done.

I can usually get them cleaned up with scotch-brite and WD40 or the likes.

I use a brass wheel to clean up the rattle clips if they are being reused. Otheriwse the only time my pads or any brake parts get greased is when i disassemble for some reason (diagnostic, repair or replacement)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back