Is there a single weight snythetic motorcycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz

W/O going into why i need this, (long story) does anyone make a bike oil that is either synth or semi and comes in 30 or 40 weight? Not racing oil either. Thanks

Probably not since no motorcycle manufacturer that I know of calls for single grade oil.

The closest you could get is HDEO oil, for example Rotella T SAE30, but that's mineral.

The reason you don't see synthetic SAE30 oils is that by their nature, synthetics have much higher viscosity index, and as such can easily meet the 10w test, and if they can, then they have to be classified as such.

I know Lucas makes some monogrades but may be mineral if I recall right.
It's difficult with synthetics because of the high natural VI.
You may find many polymer free (if you talk to tech to confirm) but they'll be labeled as multi-grades even if they may legally be labeled as monograde as well.

A good indicator of no polymer in the oil would be the ratio of very high HTHS to kinematic viscosity.

A couple of brands got spanked for this recently, didn't they?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The reason you don't see synthetic SAE30 oils is that by their nature, synthetics have much higher viscosity index, and as such can easily meet the 10w test, and if they can, then they have to be classified as such.

Pete hit the nail on the head. Red Line sells synthetic straight-30 oil for "racing" but says it actually meets the requirements to be labeled as 10w30.

You need to pick one: synthetic or straight-weight. You can't really have both.

I may have an answer to your question. I believe, as did another respondent, that Amsoil makes what you want. It is their SAE 30 diesel oil. Its listed as ACD1G - as in sold only in gallons or larger containers. It looks like it does not contain friction modifiers which is the biggie on bike oils. If no friction modifiers, then it is OK for the wet clutches in a shared crankcase often found on a motorcycle. I think this is one of their 25000 mile oils too.

You might give Amsoil a call and ask about the friction modifiers.

I also saw a 10W-30 motorcycle oil in their catalog, but it is listed as a 10W-30 oil.

Originally Posted By: drolds
I may have an answer to your question. I believe, as did another respondent, that Amsoil makes what you want. It is their SAE 30 diesel oil. Its listed as ACD1G -

ACD1G is actually 10w-30 grade, as the previous poster noted.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

No, if they are Newtonian, they can label as a straight weight...they can dual label it as a multigrade too if it meets the specs.

If they are non-newtonian, i.e. have polymer, then they must label it as the lowest "w" that it meets.

http://paservice.it/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/J300_201304.pdf

Quote:
Most oils will meet the viscosity requirements of at least one of the W grades. Nevertheless, consistent with historic practice, any Newtonian oil may be labeled as a single-grade oil (either with or without a W). Oils which are formulated with polymeric viscosity index improvers for the purpose of making them multiviscosity-grade products are non-Newtonian and must be labeled with the appropriate multiviscosity grade (both W and high-temperature grade). Since each W grade is defined on the basis of maximum cranking and pumping viscosities as well as minimum kinematic viscosities at 100 °C, it is possible for an oil to satisfy the requirements of more than one W grade. In labeling either a W grade or a
multiviscosity grade oil, only the lowest W grade satisfied may be referred to on the label. Thus, an oil meeting the requirements for SAE grades 10W, 15W, 20W, 25W, and 30 must be referred to as an SAE 10W-30 grade only.

As to the Amsoil offering, it's maybe applicable if there's no wet clutch requirement.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
No, if they are Newtonian, they can label as a straight weight..

Thanks! Wasn't aware of that distinction.

No probs...it's pretty cool IMO...in an oil geek kind of way.

Why Delvac 1630 would be my sole item in the shed if it were available in under 205L drums.

http://www.mobil.com/Australia-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_1600_Monogrades.aspx

It's wet clutchable too.

edit, that PDF is great, in that it gives the background as to why the HTHS was added with multigrades, as a straight KV referenced non-Newtonian could be totally inadequate in service...and HTHS for 0W,5W 40s being increased is testament to the new VIIs.

Last edited:
BUT, if you are going to put it in a motorcycle with a wet clutch, you don't want anything that is not JASO MA2, so going with a diesel formulation will cost you clutches and shifts.

Originally Posted By: widman
BUT, if you are going to put it in a motorcycle with a wet clutch, you don't want anything that is not JASO MA2, so going with a diesel formulation will cost you clutches and shifts.

In general, I agree, but just because it wasn't tested for JASO MA2 compliance doesn't mean it wouldn't pass the test. Not all diesel oils are loaded with friction modifiers. In fact some diesel oils such as Rotella T and T6 do meet JASO MA/MA2 requirements.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Why Delvac 1630 would be my sole item in the shed if it were available in under 205L drums.

I had the same idea about a year ago. If only I could get 1630 in 19 L pails, I would use it in EVERYTHING.

I posted about it and got a lot of "monograde oil is evil" replies, but not one person could explain why a high viscosity index monograde 30 HDEO would damage an engine in my tropical climate [engine start temperature always between 12 °C and 38 °C]. Finally, on a separate thread someone posted something about "temporary shearing", which is apparently why engines last longer when using multigrade oils.

Temporary shearing is a reduction in film thickness at high shear rates (and the reason for HTHS entering the J300 concept in the first place)....I don't know how temporary shear can provide MORE protection, when it lowers the HTHS.

When the temperature is 15 to 20C, time how long it takes for a multigrade to build pressure against the bearings (light goes out) and change the oil to a monograde and time the difference.
It is that second or two of low pressure that wears engines when monogrades (or thicker than necessary) oils are used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back