My New Beater Wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like it.

I have a love for manual transmission wagons since age 16 with my first car a 1980 VW Dasher(passat) diesel I wrecked on black ice(grandfather only put studded tires on front so it was too tail happy for inexperienced driver).

That is a great car. I would've loved to get something like that instead of the Focus but they don't last here due to rust...
I hear you on the gearing as well, I rarely have to even down shift to 4th to pass on a 50mph road... Fortunately I don't do alot of freeway driving but it could gain a few mpg...

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Man what a great find! I still think you need to find factory alloy wheels and spolier kit for it :)

I have my eye out for the OEM basketweaves! Part of the fun of buying a car like this is looking for old parts! The nice thing is that these tires are in decent enough shape that they'll last until I find the OEM 14" alloys at a good deal. Then I'll toss some snow tires on the steelies for trips up the pass.

Quote:
3M intake cleaner though it
Need your before and after impression.

I picked up another one of the kits. The throttle body was beyond black, so I cleaned that up, and shot some cleaner down the port to clean the IACV, then ran the intake cleaner though the car. I've used this twice before on my Freestyle as preventative medicine, and it "worked" in so far as I'm my original throttle body (unusual for a 160K Freestyle). That car has a known issue where the TPS failed due to buildup on the TB, so keeping everything clean seems to help. I never noticed a "difference" though; the car ran great before and after the cleaning.

On this car however, there was a huge difference. Turning on the AC would almost stall the car, and the idle was rough. I planned to pull the IACV and clean it, but after running the cleaner through I'm not even going to bother. Driveablity improved, noticeably, after running the cleaner through the intake.

This is 2.2L engine, right? I have the same engine in 99 Camry and I am itching to use one of 3M kit on it for a long time

This is 2.2L engine, right? I have the same engine in 99 Camry and I am itching to use one of 3M kit on it for a long time

It's the 2.0, but the engine is basically the same as the 2.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back