ISO beater under $3,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be in the market for a cheap car to drive this summer. My parents are transitioning from the RV lifestyle back to home ownership in FL. Their Jeep is really set up for rock crawling, and they are selling it in a few weeks to a member of their 4WD club. They are buying a new Acura MDX. Undecided on a '14 model or a '15. If they wait for a '15, they will need wheels this summer. I said why don't you guys drive our CR-V, give me a few thousand bucks for a beater, I drive it for a while, and when I'm done, I'll sell it for pretty much what I paid for it, and give you back what I get? That'll work out good for them and would give me something to toy with this summer.

And they're leaning towards a '15. Dad said that he'd buy a '14 if he could get something close to "invoice". MSRP is $57,400, and invoice (according to Edmunds) is close to $53,000. I've spoken to three local dealers, and their pricing averages around $55,000. That's just over email. I'm sure a better price could be negotiated in person. It looks like they're going to wait and see if there are any new colors for '15 and buy one this summer.

I'd like to find something interesting, yet also somewhat easy to sell in the fall, because I have no plans to keep it. Manual transmission is a plus, as is working air conditioning. I'm open to absolutely anything.

Does anyone in the VA/NC/SC region have a car for sale in this price range? Know anyone with something for sale in this price range? Thanks for any leads.

You should have no problem finding an older Civic or Corolla with a 5-speed. Even if it's 15 years old, it should still run with almost no upkeep. The Honda B-series motors had excellent transmissions.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
'96-00 Civic. They were absurdly priced in the used range for many years, but have finally gotten old enough to be cheap beaters.

Also, 94-01 Acura Integras. Same chassis, but a bit nicer inside and with a bit more torque. GS-R models are particularly fun to drive.
cool.gif

Ever owned a miata? The early ones should be getting close to $3k. You might lose a little on the timing, selling in fall, but its interesting! Take up autocross this summer too.

There's a 1st generation Acura Integra for sale in our neighborhood; guy has $1,500 OBO on the windshield. The paint is flat, but it has blacked-out aftermarket wheels that look tasteful.

I have seen some Miatas in my range, but yes, I am thinking about resale in the fall. What I'd LOVE to find is an E30 convertible. There are a few around here, also with 5-speeds, near my price range. I'd be afraid that I wouldn't want to give it up, though. That's one of my dream "toy cars". I'd prefer a 4-seater at least...because I could then have the family with me if we take my car.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Ever owned a miata? The early ones should be getting close to $3k. You might lose a little on the timing, selling in fall, but its interesting! Take up autocross this summer too.

He's in NC so I don't think the prices would fluctuate wildly on "seasonal" vehicles like that.

'96-00 Civic. They were absurdly priced in the used range for many years, but have finally gotten old enough to be cheap beaters.

i would disagree on the basis that a mild side impact pretty much ensures death. seeing it first hand has completely turned me off of civics.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

i would disagree on the basis that a mild side impact pretty much ensures death. seeing it first hand has completely turned me off of civics.

Well for $3000 I don't think you're going to get a modern car with the latest-and-greatest safety.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

What dparm said ^

If impact safety is the #1 concern, $3000 isn't going to cut it.

This is a temporary vehicle purchase that would be driven to-and-from work for about four months. But the point is well taken...I'd probably be sorry with myself if I got T-boned driving a small car when I could have gotten T-boned driving a larger truck.

A friend is looking to sell a '97 F-150 2WD short box, 5-speed manual with a 4.2L engine that was replaced because the original one blew up. I could buy it in my price range. Those F-150s weren't good in offset frontal crashes, but are probably a heckuva lot safer in a side impact or frontal impact than I'd be in a Miata or Protege or BMW E30.

I'm also playing the "fuel prices" game to a certain extent. Will they be at $5/gallon at the end of the summer? It'd be a lot easier to sell a Civic in September at $5/gallon than it would be an F-150.

I think an F-150 will still be easy to sell because it's a legitimate work vehicle. There are still contractors and other guys who need trucks to haul things regardless of fuel prices.

Are used CR-Vs and RAV4s $3000 yet? Those are basically tall Civics/tall Corollas.

If you plan to just flip it, pony up 6-10 thousand and buy a boring domestic sedan. This price range is about the top end for private sellers/buyers so there is a bit of risk when you go to sell it.

Any used car you buy for 3k will need some work right off the bat. Most 3k Japanese compacts are close to finished, without an investment of $ or labor. The nice 3k civic is a rare bird.

Judging by the cars in your sig loading up the family in a 2000 corolla is going to be a big downgrade in comfort, reliability and safety.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I think an F-150 will still be easy to sell because it's a legitimate work vehicle. There are still contractors and other guys who need trucks to haul things regardless of fuel prices.

I agree. And there's inherently less risk with that one because I know the A/C works and it's from a family friend, so I won't get sold a bill of goods.

It's a short cab with a bench seat, so it won't fit the whole family. But I know I'd be comfortable in it, and the girls would probably enjoy riding around in a truck.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Are used CR-Vs and RAV4s $3000 yet? Those are basically tall Civics/tall Corollas.

There's a 2001 CR-V at a local lemon lot with 180k miles for $4,500. I've looked at them a lot (CR-Vs and RAVs), but they're slim pickings for private sales. I think people hold on to those.

Where is the $3000 limit coming from? I can understand a "loss limit" number but you (and your parent) need to temporarily come up with bigger number if you want to get "safe" vehicle. This is assuming you buy the argument that Civic (or similar small car) is a deathtrap

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Where is the $3000 limit coming from?

We just want to keep numbers small. The higher the purchase price, the more in taxes and insurance we pay and can't recuperate. Or it's at least more money that we potentially can't recuperate.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
This is assuming you buy the argument that Civic (or similar small car) is a deathtrap

I don't. Everything's relative and all crashes are different. I agree that you expose yourself to more risk in certain cars. How much of a difference in risk a Civic is vs. a Hummer when you factor the overall risk of driving to begin with...I can't measure that.

There are plenty of large vehicles I can get for $3,000. There are a number of things like older Isuzu Rodeos and Jeep Cherokees and even FoMoCo Panthers (c'mon, nobody's recommended a Crown Vic yet?). No manual transmission in a Panther, but nothing's "out" at this point.

A '97 F150, what kind of safety equipment does that have? Crumple zones etc. It's getting kinda old, if you are worried about that sort of thing.

I thought about recommending a Vic, but figured it was over the top. Have to say though, if it's just for a few months, almost anything will work, so why not something completely different? But IIRC you've already driven a boat or two in the past (Cutlass IIRC?) so it's unlikely to be novel.

How about this to be off the wall: Head up north, we have lots of cheap vehicles. Just bring a roll of sheetmetal with you, and some self tapping screws, and you should be able to make it home.

I think you're missing a once in a lifetime opportunity to do something crazy here. Is an 90's Impala out of the question, if the CVPI doesn't do it for you? Can you buy a big 4wd SUV in the spring and sell it for more in the fall when winter hits? 80's Mercedes diesel? Harley? OMG... what about commuting to work on a jetski?

Here at least you could find something small and domestic on the smaller end in that range. Seems that anything "foreign" automatically adds a grand or two.

Doesn't fit the unique criteria though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back