2009 Ford Ranger 4.0 SOHC 5w-30 Synpower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford Ranger 4.0 SOHC 5 speed 4x2 Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 0 make up oil

Milage 65000 on the truck
Milage 5400 on the oil
Used a MotorCraft filter 820s

This oil was in from November to the end of March . 5 months during the winter. Came out ok just a little thin as I figured it would. TBN 3.7
When I changed the oil , I used 5w30 Synpower plus 1 qt of 5w40 Synpower . I'll test when is ready to be changed again.

Aluminum 5
Chromium 1
Iron 16
Copper 4
Lead 0
Tin 0
Moly 3
Nickel 2
Manganese 1
Silver 0
Potassium 3
Boron 3
Silicon 10
Sodium 318
Calcium 1941
Magnesium 9
Phosphorus 637
Zinc 715
Barium 0

SUS Visc 54.3
CST Visc 8.58
FlashPoint 425
Fuel% Water 0
Insolubles .3
TBN 3.7

Any comments welcome.
12.gif

Thanks for posting! It's always nice but kinda rare to see a UOA for this motor. It's probably the best one I've seen, as every other one on the 4.0 SOHC seams to have 25+ ppm of iron.

Originally Posted By: rhhsiao
Oil thinned out a bit but wear looks low. Doesn't seem to be much of an issue. I think 7,500 miles could be doable.

I'm new to this; what are you looking at to determine the "wear" and at how is it determined to be low or high?

Most of the metals at the top of the list in this post are generally seen as wear metals. But good or bad really depends on trends, known patterns of certain engines, OCI mileage, how fresh or high mileage is the motor, etc. Look at lots of the UOAs in the UOA section and it'll become less murky
Kevin

I really like those Ford 4.0 V6's. I've tried a few different oils in my gf's Mustang with that engine. Been running GTX in it the past few oil changes. Runs soooo smooth!! I love the smooth powerful low end torque.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back