07 Ford Fusion4 cyl 5 speed Auto FNR5 Trans Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnd

I am trying to determine if true or not. 1. For a 5 speed auto transmission, FNR5, the owners manual says to use only motorcraft FNR5, part# XT-9-QMM5, no prob. I understand that Mazda M5 or MV is the equivalent. I don't know if the M5 is the same as MV, it says on my dip stick M V.
Local Mazda parts doesn't know for sure. I suspect it is the same but need some way to verify. Any one know about this?
The Motorcraft is avail only at ford dealer for $10.50 per qt. Mazda dealers have M5 for 7.10 per qt. Quite a difference.
And one more thing. Does anyone know for sure if there is a transmission drain bolt on the FNR5 or will it require removing a hose?

I can't answer the question about the drain plug. Just crawl underneath and have a look! I know the Aisin 6-speed that came on V6 models did.

Valvoline Maxlife is a favorite ATF here, and is advertised as suitable for Mercon V. It's $17 - $23 per gallon at local stores. Amazon had 3-gallon packs of it too. I would have no problem using that as a substitute. It's synthetic and significantly less expensive.

Mazda M5 is the same as FNR5. The Mazda p/n is 0000-77-112E-01

Neither are Mercon V and should not be mixed per both Ford and Mazda. We have replaced a few transmissions from Mercon V being used in a FNR5/M5 unit.

To re-iterate bdcardinal's post...

You must only use Mazda 5 (M V) fluid in the FNR5 tranny. Your dipstick is stamped "M V" meaning Mazda 5 (M5) fluid, NOT Mercon V. It is confusing, especially since it is on a Ford vehicle, however, do not use any fluid that does not expressly claim to meet or exceed Mazda-V fluid requirements.

I use Amsoil in my wife's Mazda 6 with the FNR5 tranny, and it works well. However, you may use the Mazda-V fluid from the Mazda dealer or any other Mazda-V fluid that you can find.

The tranny does have a drain bolt, but keep in mind that there is an internal filter that should be changed once in a while and can only be done by dropping the pan. It's not a hard job, but a bit of a pain because some of the pan bolts are blocked by the front subframe assembly, requiring a universal joint for your socket wrench and some patience. Also, the pan uses form-in-place RTV gasket, and if you decide to purchase or use a cork / rubber one that comes with an aftermarket filter, then it is at your own risk.

I use M1 ATF which is not rated FNR5 at this time. However when I first started using it M1 ATF was Mazda MV rated. A year or so after switching to M1 ATF, XM droped the Mazda rating. I called Mobil tech and I was told the ATF was the same as before, but with the multi-rating came too many hoopes to jump through, so XM droped several of the ratings. Bottom line, I still use M1 ATF in my 2007 Fusion with very good results.

Hi there,

I just wondered if you could help me. I noticed that you mentioned on this forum that you had changed the filter and fluid on your transmission. I also have a FNR5 transmission in my 2006 ford Fusion 2.3l.

I am finding the same issues as yourself with the pan bolts being hard to get at. Can you tell me if there is enough room to get the pan off without having to pully the tranny mount and raising the transmission. There is a plate welded on the subframe about an 1-1/2 below the bottom of the pan.

I just wanted to know if you were able to remove yours okay without having to remove other items.

Your help is much appreciated.

Hi silverbulletone, and welcome to the site. The posts on this thread were made in 2014, and it's likely the members with Fusions aren't following it anymore. You're better off sending tig1 a private message (click on his name on the post above yours).

Originally Posted By: silverbulletone
Hi there,

I just wondered if you could help me. I noticed that you mentioned on this forum that you had changed the filter and fluid on your transmission. I also have a FNR5 transmission in my 2006 ford Fusion 2.3l.

I am finding the same issues as yourself with the pan bolts being hard to get at. Can you tell me if there is enough room to get the pan off without having to pully the tranny mount and raising the transmission. There is a plate welded on the subframe about an 1-1/2 below the bottom of the pan.

I just wanted to know if you were able to remove yours okay without having to remove other items.

Your help is much appreciated.

I still have my 2008(rock solid reliable car by the way). You can drop the pan as is. No need to lift the tranny. I just used a socket and swivel on the bolts on the cross member(frame) side.

Also incase anyone still wonders, i have used amsoil, maxlife and mobile 1. No problems. I believe castorol import is still actually listing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back