Right handed, left eyed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm right handed, but my left eye is dominant. Ergo, if I shoot a rifle right handed, I have to either close my left eye or put something over it so my brain "registers" the image from my right eye. Or I can shoot lefty and keep both eyes open.

What's the right way to do it?

I've always shot with both eyes open.

I don't think there's a right way or a wrong way as long as you can hit your target but I think it's better with both eyes open and that's how I teach my grandkids. Both eyes open are definitely a plus when skeet/trap shooting.

I'm the same, and I just shoot left handed as it feels natural.
The crossbow is set up for both left and right, as is my single shot slug gun. It doesn't seem to matter on the right hand pump shotgun either shooting one at a time, pumping out a shell is best done with the gun away from your face though... We have a semi auto .22 with an offset stock for right, but even that is OK, other than the odd casing bouncing off me.

I am the same as you, right-handed but left-eye dominant. I only shoot with both eyes open.

I just put on my prescription glasses and shoot right-handed with them on.

If you don't wear glasses, then shoot left-handed. For me it's easier than trying to compensate for the weak eye.

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
I've always shot with both eyes open.

I don't think there's a right way or a wrong way as long as you can hit your target but I think it's better with both eyes open and that's how I teach my grandkids. Both eyes open are definitely a plus when skeet/trap shooting.

I can't say always, it was tough to learn... But I too shoot with both eyes open anymore.

I'm left handed, and left eye dominant. I write left handed, and I shoot left handed with both eyes open. However, I throw with my right hand, and swing a bat or golf club right handed. When I was a kid I kicked a ball with ny left foot, but I broke my left leg when I was 12 and ever since then I kick with my right foot. I remember having to use the "Lefty" scissors in school, but I've adapted to using right handed scissors.

I'm in the same boat. I used to shoot (rifles) right handed and aim with my left eye. I was a very good shot. When I took a marksmanship class in college the ROTC sergeant asked me to try shooting left handed. I was also a very good shot doing this.

These days, I fire a pistol, right handed and aim with left eye. No problem.

I'm in the same boat. If I keep both eyes open I see both the side of gun and the top of the barrel. I shoot with my left eye closed for everything including shotgun. I still manage to hit 20-22 at skeet pretty regularly so that is good enough for me.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
What's the right way to do it?

For rifle, I stick with one eye, closing one if needed. If it's pistol or shotgun, I do both eyes open, and am just about equal with the pistol in either hand.

Like you, I am left eye dominant and right handed. I can't shoot clays, never could. I also can't use iron sights as well as others.

I rely on quality optics and my right eye to stay on target. It works out just fine.

In my case, it's a matter of knowing my weaknesses and avoiding the temptation to shoot a configuration I'm not good at.

Thanks, guys.

I've played around with it with my brother's BB gun, and shooting lefty isn't bad. I do like being able to have both eyes open. I'll have to try it with my rifle, which is bolt action, to see how that goes.

Nate,

Usually, with a rifle or shotgun, right-handed/left-eyed people can achieve better marksmanship by simply shooting left-handed. Obviously, the opposite is true for left-handed/right-eyed people... shooting right-handed is usually best.

With a handgun, this may or may not be true - usually, the natural instinct will be to align the sights using your dominant eye, and it is easy enough to slightly change the position of your head to align the dominant eye with the sights. Try both ways and figure out what works best.

Just curious - how do you shoot if/when you play billiards? I took a billiards class in college, and my partner was right-handed/left-eyed. Pool was very, very difficult for him because of this.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
Just curious - how do you shoot if/when you play billiards? I took a billiards class in college, and my partner was right-handed/left-eyed. Pool was very, very difficult for him because of this.

I play right-handed. Possibly this is why I'm not very good at it.

FYI, as you age eye dominance can change and you get to figure it out all over again. I know shooters who place packing tape over the left lens on their glasses to blur vision and force the right eye to be the dominate eye.
Practice, practice and more practice. A couple degrees of felon is all you need for handgun, and the long gun you will figure out.
Smoky

Went shooting last weekend and played around with this a bit.

It turns out that, for me, I can get my brain to use my right eye without much difficulty once I get lined up. I got better at it the more I did it that way, so I think that's where I'll stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back