Leaking intake manifold

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one's going to the mechanic. I have a 2001 GMC Savana with the 4.3, and I recently developed a serious coolant leak. When I opened the hood, I could hear it, but I couldn't see it. Took off the engine cover, and the intake manifold is leaking from both sides. If it was in a pickup, I might try it, but in a van, not so much.

About 30,000 miles ago, I blew a head gasket. I tried Thermagasket, and to my surprise, it worked! However, I figured it was a temporary fix then, and this might be a good time to do the head gaskets as well.

In a way, it can be easier in a Savanavan than in a pickup depending on your build. In the pickup you get to climb up there and abuse your ribs and abs by treating them like they're your feet. In the van you get to lay comfortably on your back or side most of the time, but you have to get up to walk around to the other side from time to time. In a van you pretty much need a decent work light though, unless you're working outside.

I guess when it comes down to it the worst thing about the van tends to be the smell. Most of them are pretty tolerable, but if it's a meat van or a sewer van.... yeah. Pickups usually don't have fecal matter or meat left to stew under the hood for years on end.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
How many miles on it?

Not sure, I'm guessing 150-200k miles.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
i did one in an astro. wasn't bad at all.

Ever since I changed spark plugs on an Astro, and ended up bruised and bleeding, I've had someone else do most of the work on my vans. I have a Vietnamese mechanic who has nice little hands that are good for this work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back