Motorcraft FL-820S (Purolator) 10,000Km

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
This filter has been sitting in my basement for a while. It was the Redline 5w-30 run in the Expedition from April 14th, 2011 to August 27th, 2011.

After all the Purolator hysteria on here lately I figured it might be a good time to cut this one open. Truck currently has an FL-820S on it as well.

The tear-down:
2014-04-21-Motorcraft01.jpg

2014-04-21-Motorcraft02.jpg

2014-04-21-Motorcraft03.jpg

2014-04-21-Motorcraft04.jpg

Biggest gap (at the seam):
2014-04-21-Motorcraft05.jpg

Rest of the filter (even pleats):
2014-04-21-Motorcraft06.jpg

No tearing at the seam area:
2014-04-21-Motorcraft07.jpg

The Purolator filters have tears are the one with metal crimp at the seam.

Currently I don't have any Purolator, I used the last P1 about 2 years ago.

Thanks for posting this. Do you know, or can you determine, if the Purolators with the tearing problem have the same filter media as Motorcrafts?

Originally Posted By: R80RS
Thanks for posting this. Do you know, or can you determine, if the Purolators with the tearing problem have the same filter media as Motorcrafts?

Purolators and Motorcrafts don't use the same media. The efficiency of them is different, and I'm betting the media in the Purolators is more stiff and brittle than in the Motorcrafts, which is one factor on why it tears in some cases.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
.... and I'm betting the media in the Purolators is more stiff and brittle than in the Motorcrafts, which is one factor on why it tears in some cases.

Or maybe it's more flexible and easily torn.

How nice it would be for readers had you some facts to go along with your speculations.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
.... and I'm betting the media in the Purolators is more stiff and brittle than in the Motorcrafts, which is one factor on why it tears in some cases.

How nice it would be for readers had you some facts to go along with your speculations.

LMAO

Originally Posted By: R80RS

The Motorcraft filters are made using media spec'd by Ford, so that is probably a key difference.

I ran one for 15K on my FX4 and it looked like every other one that I removed at various mileages. It seems the MC filters have dodged the Purolator issues (if there is indeed a wide-spread issue).

Have you ever cut open a Purolator and actually played with the media by putting side force on it to see just how stiff and brittle it is? I have, you obviously haven't. BTW, I found this tear way back in 2011, and I kept using Purolator filters since then. But now there seems to be a huge up-tick of reported tear incidents.

Based on what I've seen, I'd bet the Motorcraft filter media is more flexible and resilient than the media in the Purolators.

Note the text:
"The media seemed too "brittle" and I could make it tear easily by simply just pushing the pleats sideways when spreading the pleats apart for debris inspection."

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...sic#Post2260902

What do you think of that tear ... trivial and not a big deal in your mind? A failure? ... definitely.

What do you think of that tear ... trivial and not a big deal in your mind?

I have two thoughts:

- the tear is trivial.

- you need to find an outlet other than bashing Purolator for your need to attack something.

I have two thoughts:

- the tear is trivial.

And that teen is only "a little bit pregnant". A filter with a whole is no longer a filter, it has no more purpose.

- you need to find an outlet other than bashing Purolator for your need to attack something.

This is BITOG. This IS our outlet. This is the place WE get to say something and find our own answers, and not just put up with useless liability-conscious market-speak from manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
This is BITOG. This IS our outlet. This is the place WE get to say something and find our own answers, and not just put up with useless liability-conscious market-speak from manufacturers.

I take it this means I am allowed to disagree with you.

So far the only answers have been ungrounded allegations of doom, destruction, and despair based on tiny tears. On the other hand, someone actually took the trouble to analyze his oil after finding some tears:

This tells me that even though tears are...or even minimal

and noted that the effect was apparently nothing at all.

A few facts to go along with the shouting would really be helpful.

I take it this means I am allowed to disagree with you.

Seems like your whole motive on this chat board is to go find someone to disagree with. You must like conflict and arguing.

What's your real agenda here?

What do you think of that tear ... trivial and not a big deal in your mind?

I have two thoughts:

- the tear is trivial.

"The tear is trivia."
lol.gif

Just an Ostrich with his head in the sand. If you think I'm "bashing" Purolators you're hallucinating. I'm stating facts, these tears happen and it's being discussed. Show me where I've said to everyone that they shouldn't use a Purolator. There are many here who say that themselves based on the information they have seen. Maybe you think all the reports and photos are all fakes. Wouldn't be surprised if you did actually

His agenda is overwhelmingly obvious, denial to the point of incredulous.

What are you Wilhelm, a paid Puro posting henchman?

On the other hand, the UOA looked fine. So do a whole bunch of Honda/Toyota UOA's using OEM filters with absolutely abysmal efficiency.

So I'd put forth the notion that the lost efficiency on the torn Puro's is not a huge deal. But torn media still is. Or Puro can just keep their heads and the sand and make the most of it.

"NEW! PUROLATOR Classic filters now with IMPROVED FLOW!"
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back