Mobil1/Mobil Super: your order of preference

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Preference for d.i. turbo spec'd for 5w, 10w30, 5K mile max oci.

MS5K
M1 (original)
HM
0w40 European Formula
AFE
ESP Formula M
EP

More and more I'm being swayed towards XOM; up to date easy to use website, great customer service, not to mention
a consistent product. The other major brands' websites are so frustrating! I know these are small things, but when all their products are virtually indistinguishable, these things can make all the difference.

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with any of them, just pick the one for your application.
For my trucks I like HM

Last edited:
Order of preference would depend on the application. For something needing LL-01 spec or 229.5 spec, the 0w-40 would be the only option. Similarly, for something needing LL-04 or 229.51 spec, the ESP would be the ticket.

Otherwise, the EP stuff would be my preference.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Order of preference would depend on the application. For something needing LL-01 spec or 229.5 spec, the 0w-40 would be the only option. Similarly, for something needing LL-04 or 229.51 spec, the ESP would be the ticket.

Otherwise, the EP stuff would be my preference.

Sorry, just edited...

The only one I thought about trying is the HM version because the regular version has been the subject of noise complaints and high iron wear.

What do you use in the infinity? Can you use the same stuff?

I would try and find some pennzoil ultra

That being said. If using 0w40 Mobil 1 wouldn't void the warranty I'd go with that

Otherwise I would go with regular M1. Since you are going with 5k OCI

EP 5w-30 or the AFE 0w-30. If warranty wasn't an issue I'd run the 0w-40, it is their best oil.

What are the oil requirements in the manual? If it doesn't call for a specific oil spec you could probably get away with the 0w-40 and not affect your warranty.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
EP 5w-30 or the AFE 0w-30. If warranty wasn't an issue I'd run the 0w-40, it is their best oil.

What are the oil requirements in the manual? If it doesn't call for a specific oil spec you could probably get away with the 0w-40 and not affect your warranty.

The specs are in the signature so I'm leaning towards AFE 0w30. Other vehicles with the same engine, Genesis Coupe and Sonata, allow for 40 weight, not the Santa Fe Sport 2.0T.
The infiniti is a lease and uses GTX Synblend 5w30

M1 HM is out because it is SL rated.
No need for EP on a 5k OCI.
MS5K is out because dino is not a good idea in gasoline turbos.
0w40 is out because it's the wrong grade.
AFE 0w30 is not needed for cold starting in South Florida.
ESP Formula 5w30 is a heavy 30, and may cost some fuel economy, but the low-SAPS formula would be good for DI engines.
Regular M1 5w30 is good stuff and would work fine for 5k miles.
Why do they even have M1 10w30?

Last edited:
New car GDI Turbo - scratch the MS5K & HM. Florida - you don't need the AFE 0W-30. If you drive it hard - I'd go with 0W-40 M1, if not - either the regular M1 or EP 5W-30 should be fine. Considering they are both the same price now - go EP. If the price gap widens, I wouldn't pay it at a 5k OCI.

-----Didn't see it at the time, but I would have just posted +1 to A_Harman above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Preference for d.i. turbo spec'd for 5w, 10w30, 5K mile max oci.

MS5K
M1 (original)
HM
0w40 European Formula
AFE
ESP Formula M
EP

One of those^

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
ESP Formula 5w30 is a heavy 30, and may cost some fuel economy, but the low-SAPS formula would be good for DI engines.

AFE 0w30:

Isnt it as thick or thicker at start-up than PP 5w30?
Also, aren't we under the assumption that it contains more PAO than M1?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The only one I thought about trying is the HM version because the regular version has been the subject of noise complaints and high iron wear.

18.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2060150/1

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Iron_in_Used_Motor_Oil_Analysis.aspx

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

AFE 0w30:

Isnt it as thick or thicker at start-up than PP 5w30?
Also, aren't we under the assumption that it contains more PAO than M1?

Depends on what your start-up temp is. Well below 0, the AFE oil is thinner.

Sorry for beating a dead horse, not my intent. I will be using AFE 0w30.

Last edited:
Vanilla M1 5W-30 or AFE 0W-30, although either MSS or QSUD would cost less and work just as well on the shortish drains you plan on.
Heck, on 5K drains, the least expensive API SN 5W-30 would probably be sufficient, although I'd use a syn if it were my new tubo GDI engine.

Sorry for beating a dead horse, not my intent. I will be using AFE 0w30.

One of few Mobil products that actually peaks my interest. I think you've made a good choice.

Come one Wemay you should try 20W-50, it's a no-brainer
wink.gif

Let us know how 0W-30 turns out!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Swift101
Come one Wemay you should try 20W-50, it's a no-brainer
wink.gif

Let us know how 0W-30 turns out!

How'd you know i had that in-the-works?!
thumbsup2.gif

Went to the dealership today for the oil change. They nixed the 0w30, saying 5w and 10w ONLY. So i went with GTX Synblend 5w30 that i had in my hatch for my wifes car. At least it's Dexos1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back