Took a beginners motorcycle riding class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
The last time I rode a bike was at least 15 years ago. I completed my MSF course and got the license. I had some fun with my brother's bike but like a good family man, he was forced to sacrifice his bike for the greater good.

I often wonder if I would be in a position to get on one today and just ride. Anybody who had long hiatus and were not an experienced biker in the past?

It's like riding a bike! Find a parking lot and a bike you don't mind dropping and then move on to some back country roads.

I took the MSF class at a local college back in '92 or '93. If you don't own a bike, it's a good way to learn on someone else's gear for a modest price.

I think it was something like $50 or maybe as high as $100 for two days training. I went on a Friday and Saturday.

I think it was classroom on Friday afternoon and we rode all day Saturday, IIRC. If you passed the test at the end, the State of IL counted it as your road test for your MC license. You just had to pass a written test and it was added to your license.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

I did run over the instructor and dump the bike.

And you still passed? That's a sad commentary about the lax licensing standards.

As previously mentioned, I passed the riding evaluation. The mishap occurred during the training sessions. That is why it is called "training"

Class was $200; no experience necessary except ability to ride a bicycle. I think myself and one other had no riding experience.

Quote:

I LOVE my new Burgman!

Scooters were allowed if one already owned one, but the instructor seemed pretty hostile towards the idea of teaching a class where one might be involved. Seems he felt they were the refuge of the unskilled.

Last edited:

And you still passed? That's a sad commentary about the lax licensing standards.

Sorry, I can't stop laughing. Was running over the instructor and dropping the bike one incident or two separate?
When I went through the MSF course 10 years ago the range instructors would order you off the range if you even acted like you were going to crash or after 2 warnings to correct risky behavior. They tossed a girl because she kept covering the front brake while leaned over. They explained to us that they were afraid something would happen to spook her and she'd grab a handfull of front brake while leaned over and crash. I also saw another girl shoot across the parking lot half on, half off the bike. She was gone too.
I can't imagine what they would have done if somebody had run over one of them.
It is serious stuff, and it's not for everyone.
I'd stongly recommend that if it's at all possible, start out and get comfortable on a small dirt bike with a manual trans. It will help a lot.

Last edited:
It was the same incident. Sorry to disappoint people but the instructor stood in the path of travel and then signaled @ the last second which way to swerve; that was the exercise. One should swerve and then quick stop. I made the swerve but overcompensated in the recovery. It is not like I just ran over the instructor standing on the range. A successful recovery should have had me passing him from 3 to 5 feet.

It in no way was characterized by anyone on the range as being anything close to incompetent or purposely dangerous behavior.

Last edited:

This class was no cakewalk for a beginner. It really pointed out to me how widely different riding is from driving or riding a bicycle. Hopefully it will temper my approach to any future endeavors. It seems like good riding will be a multiyear learning discipline.

-T

If you stick with it, you will always be learning. It absolutely takes more skill to ride competently, than it does to drive a car. There is also no question that you are at greater risk, than if you were in a car.

I've been riding since '72. Dirt bikes for the first ten years, then street and dirt since then.

I would recommend to anyone to start out on dirt. It's a great way to learn how to really control a bike. The low traction of dirt provides a quick learning curve of how the bike reacts to your inputs. Riding on the street is relatively easy in comparison.

Then when you do transition to street riding, you won't have to consciously think about what you need to do to control the bike in any given situation, it just becomes instinctive. That way you can spend your time watching out for the hazards that traveling on public roads presents.

For me, all of the inherent risks are worth the reward of being on two wheels.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How much of a beginner are you allowed to be ?

Do you have to have some previous motorcycle experience ?

As long as you can ride a bicycle, they'll take you. It would help of you had been on even a dirt bike and understand the principles of operating a manual transmission.

I've been on a dirt bike and I can operate a manual transmission, but I never could figure out and to steer a motorcycle and make a turn. I can only operate a motorcycle in a straight line.

Take a MSF/MOST class and you will learn.
smile.gif
The secret: do not try to turn the bike. (You may have a tarmac close-up if you do.) Just lean it a bit!

As previously mentioned, I passed the riding evaluation. The mishap occurred during the training sessions. That is why it is called "training"

Class was $200; no experience necessary except ability to ride a bicycle. I think myself and one other had no riding experience.

Quote:

I LOVE my new Burgman!

Scooters were allowed if one already owned one, but the instructor seemed pretty hostile towards the idea of teaching a class where one might be involved. Seems he felt they were the refuge of the unskilled.

Unfortunately, I am approaching the point where I do not know how long I will be able to physically swing a leg over a regular cycle.
frown.gif
Even doing so for the MOST class hurt, and that was just a little Nighthawk.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The secret: do not try to turn the bike. (You may have a tarmac close-up if you do.) Just lean it a bit!

Leaning may work on a small light bike. It does not work all that well on heavy bikes or when at higher speed. That's when counter steering comes into play. It took me a while to grasp the concept as it's somewhat counter intuitive when you first learn about it, but over time it becomes second nature and you don't even think about it.

Works fine on my 500lb Burgy.
confused.gif

How big are you?

Anyway, turning by counter steering requires a lot less effort. Maybe it works differently on a scooter.

in the late 60s a friend and i built HD choppers. we didnt have a MC licenses in Kansas. after visiting 5 of my friend in the hospitals in less than 1 year, i said for me its not worth the risk. so now they think that i need to be taught how to ride? man i taught HIS DAD how to ride.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Leaning may work on a small light bike. It does not work all that well on heavy bikes or when at higher speed. That's when counter steering comes into play. It took me a while to grasp the concept as it's somewhat counter intuitive when you first learn about it, but over time it becomes second nature and you don't even think about it.

On my 250, countersteering seems to start around the 25mph mark. I'm curious if it is different on bigger bikes or on bigger tires.

but over time it becomes second nature and you don't even think about it.

It's always second nature, you are always countersteering no matter what bike you ride....you can't keep a bike upright without countersteering.

Works fine on my 500lb Burgy.
confused.gif

How big are you?

Anyway, turning by counter steering requires a lot less effort. Maybe it works differently on a scooter.

About 245lbs. Note: while heavy, a Burgman has a very low centre of gravity.

Originally Posted By: Silk
but over time it becomes second nature and you don't even think about it.

It's always second nature, you are always countersteering no matter what bike you ride....you can't keep a bike upright without countersteering.

For a smaller bike at lower speeds, leaning while keeping the steering straight does work, as the bike will try to stand up by itself. It wasn't until I got my dirt bike out on the backroads at speed that I really discovered counter steering to snap the bike over into a corner and started using it consciously at lower speeds. I can see being taught this right from the beginning would be valuable knowledge and extremely helpful for accident avoidance.

i think that from the day that you first learn how to ride a bicycle you are counter steering to an extent. Most of us don't realize we are doing it, I didn't. We are made aware of it in MSF or other training. Once the connection is made, and we become aware of it, and start to consiously apply it the results are amazing. After I became aware I verified it on my bicycle too.
What ever you do don't ever touch that front brake, right
smile.gif

Simple_Gifts I did not intend to insult you by laughing, the visual of the whole thing just got to me. It really is not a laughing matter and I apologize. I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:
Once you reach about 12-15 mph, the only way to turn a motorcycle is by counter steering.

My 74 year old MIL teaches these classes at the local technical school! It's not very tough unless you have zero experience.

And yes, it IS hard to fail...

One thing to keep in mind is that these MSF classes are just an introduction to the very basics and primarily focus on teaching you how to pass the riding test. There is only so much they can teach you during 1 or 2 days of practice. It takes a lot more riding/practice afterwards to get a good hang of it, especially for those that have never ridden a motorcycle before.

There are some helpful books out there that one should also read. For example:
http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motorcy...otorcycle+hough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back