Gateway FPD1976W won't stay on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I was just given a 19 in Gateway FPD1976W monitor today. Trouble is it will turn on but go right off after like 3 seconds. The blue light on the monitor will stay on but the screen goes dark. Doing some internet research looks like this is a capacitor issue. Does that sound likely? If that is the case, how would you go about replacing the capacitor(s)? Any other ideas? It was a free monitor, but I'd like to get it working. Thanks for any help!

Seen that happen before...it was the video driver card in the computer itself.

...of course if your old monitor works fine that would rule out the video card...

Well the computer I tried it on is my laptop... could that still be the case? Laptop is working fine. I'll try it one of my other computers and let you know.

Just google the model and look at all the common issues, its a capacitor issue. It isnt hard to do, i would try desoldering on something you dont care about before you tear into the monitor.

Yea that has got to be it. Does the same thing on my other computer. How would you open up the monitor? Never done that before.

Edit: It's got screws on the back, if I take those out am I likely to find the capacitors?

Amazon sells a capacitor repair kit for about $15.00. Requires soldering.

Could be the back-light too as it is a LCD Monitor.

Was it working when you were given it.

Easy test for the backlight is to shine a flashlight onto the screen. You should be able to see the image.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Easy test for the backlight is to shine a flashlight onto the screen. You should be able to see the image.

Yep, I shined the flashlight onto the screen and could see the image.

The only way to tell is if you take out the cover of the power supply board usually on the back of the monitor.

Then you can visually see if there is any bad capacitor (usually bulging at the top end).

Most of the chinese made capacitor only lasted about 5 years at the most.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH
Just bought a new samsung wide screen monitor for 99 dollars.

Is this worth taking apart?

It's free, not something I really need, (but I can put it to good use if I get it working)... so yea, it's worth taking apart.

Well guys, I just got around to trying to get this thing opened up... I took out all the screws and it's not coming apart easily. How do you open a monitor like this? I feel like I am going to break it if I pry on the plastic much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back