purolator PL10111

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut open a PL10111 ( I know we want pics)It didn`t have the metal crimped seam. Had 4000 miles on it using Valvoline high mileage 10w-30.NO tears what so ever.

Funny - I just asked in another thread if anyone had seen a PL10111 with a tear or if it had the metal crimp.

Thanks for posting.

IMO, not every Purolator filter that could tear is going to tear depending on what engine it's used on, and how that engine is driven. Could be a lot of the tears we have seen lately are due to being used in cold weather where the oil is thicker than usual.

Thicker oil with a positive displacement oil pump is going to result in more delta-p across the media, and winter use of the filter may be a key contributing factor here ... along with other factors like the media material and the physical spacing of the media. This failure I believe has many factors adding up in the same direction that causes the media to tear.

The pleats were all even(a little wider where the seam was looks to be glue together)not wavy. I was worried with all the problems lately. This was in my work car mostly short trips 10 miles one way not much over 50 miles per hour thru the winter in south carolina 1996 buick regal 3.8

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back