Land Rover help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, I am set to start changing oil on my wife's 2001 Discovery 2. Aside from getting gouged at the local Land Rover dealership, anyone know of a compatible Motorcraft or ACDelco oil filter for this beast?

Many thanks!

Appropriate oil filters for the Discovery II are:

STP #S16
Fram #PH16
Bosch #3402
Mobil 1 #M1-204
K&N #KP-2004
AC Delco #PF13(previously #PF20)

I HIGHLY recommend the Mobil 1 filter. The quality of M1 oil filters is unmatched, with the possible exception of Motorcraft, which I can't seem to find for your vehicle.

Thanks Wayne for the quick help. I have also looked on the Motorcraft site but not much help there.

Some of the filters you mentioned seem to cross-reference to Motorcraft FL-200 and FL-300 though.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
Are Mobil 1 oil filters worth the $9.99 ??
dunno.gif

I asked myself the same question. So, I bought one, used it for 5k miles on my VW 1.8T, then cut it open. It looked practically brand new internally. To me, it IS worth the $10.99 I have to pay for it now.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by N2OIL:
You could just buy a Purolator filter. They private label the Motorcraft filters too.
cheers.gif

Yes, but the Purolator filters don't have the threaded end bypass like the Motorcraft filters do.

The Land Rover OEM filter # ERR3340 is indeed a short version of an equivalent AFL1.

Way back in the mists of time, the AFL1 equivalent (ETC 6599 ?) was fitted to some Range Rovers and Rover 3500 cars, but was too long when they brought out their Tdi's on Discovery's and Defenders, where a short version had to be used, so L/R standardised on the one filter across their engines until '99.

I've found that an AFL1 will fit on a 300Tdi Defender without the diff crashing into it,(chassis rails are deeper than a Disco, so the engine sits a tad higher) and so use a Donaldson P169071, equivalent to a Fleetguard LF3487 and Baldwin B2HPG, all high efficiency, synthetic media versions of their respective AFL1 equivalents. Tjhe Baldwin uses a threaded end by-pass, IIRC.

If you have the space, try an AFL1 type. The pressure relief valve is around the right setting.

Many thanks folks for the great help. I will try on a Motorcraft FL-300 for size and if it does not fit, I will use an ACDelco PF-13.

tdi-rick, Discoveries in the US only comes in gasoline engines (the 4.0L for my wife's 2001 version). We are not as lucky as you in Australia...
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
The FL-300 is the same as the PH16, both are short versions of the PH8/FL-1A.

If there's room you could use a PH8/FL-1A.

Actually the FL200 is the short version of the FL1A. It has the same bypass valve settings and gasket sizes. I get mine at Advance Auto for $4.68, still less expensive than Purolater's PurOnes's, plus they have the better bypass valve location and silicone ADBV.

offtopic.gif
I drove a Disco diesel 5 speed while in England. I loved it
grin.gif

Whimsey

That's interesting, because the Motorcraft site shows that the Ford applications for the FL-300 include the 5.0L Mustang Cobra which has an oil cooler and therefore needs the shorter filter.

The Ford applications shown for the FL-200 are ONLY the 1995-1997 Ford Contour 2.0L. In fact almost none of the non-Ford applications for the FL-200 are for anything older than about 1998!

Is perhaps the difference that the FL-200 has a silicone anti-drainback valve whereas the FL-300 does not? EDIT: I just noticed that you said it does. All else being equal, that would make the FL-200 a better choice than the FL-300.

Both filters cross-reference to the PH16 on Fram's website.

Now I'm wondering if the loss of a bit of oil capacity is worth the gain of a silicone ADBV that I'd get by using an FL-200 in place of an FL-1A on my 1988 Mustang 5.0...

My Purolator Premium Plus filters look good after 5k miles. Only $3 too.
wink.gif

brian, I'd take the silicone ADBV over the extra capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back