impact guns opinions and advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I recently got a job and need to buy an impact...
Was wondering how do the kobalt or craftsman compare to the ir or a snap on. Also any othe brands yoy would recommend. Im trying not to spend a whole lot. Thanks everyone.

HF Earthquake. For the price one of the most capable impacts out there. One would have to spend a lot more to get a more capable, durable impact. They are heavy compared to others. That may be a factor in a shop environment where it's in constant use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ram_man
Was wondering how do the kobalt or craftsman compare to the ir or a snap on. Also any othe brands yoy would recommend. Im trying not to spend a whole lot. Thanks everyone.

I just got an AirCat off of the Snap-On truck a few weeks ago for $230 after a $40 credit. In the words of the Snap-On guy, "its's a [censored] gun." [censored] it is.
cool.gif

Btw it strips lug nuts like crazy. Ive never stripped one til I got this gun. So far im on lug nut #2 and a wheel lock key.

Last edited:
I have used harbor freights brand 1/2" for years at home. I use snap-on at work. The harbor freight is very strong and close to the snap-on. I would go for that if you dont want to pay for IR or Snap-on/bluepoint ect

IR Ti or Aircat.

IR if looking for an electric with battery. Milwaukee if corded electric. There are a ton of brands with little tiny impact drivers that are useful, either with 1/4, 3/8 square or 1/4 hex drive (that takes an adapter). Makita, Milwaukee and Bosch come to mind.

It would be an air Impact. Found a guy with a mac impact said he would sell for 65 bucks. Arent alot of macs rebadged ir?

Sunex, good price and quality. They make some for the big guys. I have one that is 3/8, 11000 rpm and 300 ft lbs. 2 year warranty.
I use it everyday, my 1/2 is a snap on, good but expensive.

Last edited:
I have owned a lot of guns over the years, the buttons fell out of the IR 2135.
The IR didn't live up to the hype, the old 231 is a much better gun, unfortunately its made in China now.

My favorite by far is the Aircat 1150, this is a beast, light and very powerful.
So far not one issue and I don't baby the thing, it gets used hard.
Whatever you get stay away from pin and clutch guns like the Nitro Kitty.
They make full torque right out of the gate which is great for big industrial bolts but not automotive work, you want a double hammer type.

http://www.amazon.com/AIRCAT-1150-Killer-Torque-2-Inch/dp/B007WQQ90A

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
Originally Posted By: ram_man

I just got an AirCat off of the Snap-On truck a few weeks ago for $230 after a $40 credit. In the words of the Snap-On guy, "its's a [censored] gun." [censored] it is.
cool.gif

Btw it strips lug nuts like crazy. Ive never stripped one til I got this gun. So far im on lug nut #2 and a wheel lock key.

I have a 3/8" & 1/2" Aircat Nitro impacts, They WILL break stuff!! It's because they are quiet, My old Ingersoll are so loud that you try not hammer on them much.

Buy some torque limiting extensions/sockets for lugnuts.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Congrats on the job. Earthquake.

Thanks it wad exactly what I wanted ran like an indy shop but clean and professional like a dealer.

Looking for one also, here is what my air comp does.

Air Tank; 12gal
SCFM @ 100 PSIG 5.1
SCFM @ 90 PSIG 5.3
SCFM @ 40 PSIG 6.6

Need one that my AC can handle.

Originally Posted By: Da Game
Looking for one also, here is what my air comp does.

Air Tank; 12gal
SCFM @ 100 PSIG 5.1
SCFM @ 90 PSIG 5.3
SCFM @ 40 PSIG 6.6

Need one that my AC can handle.

That's too small for a 1/2" impact. You'll be better off with an electric gun.

But can it be his primary impact gun at his work? Will it handle 40-50 hours a week for years? You are talking about $450 investment for that cordless kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back