Wix/NAPA Gold vs Fram Ultra Synthetic (same price)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
Originally Posted By: subaroo
I don't pay 8.97 like you and many others do. I pay 7.63 through amazon, so to me it's a great filter and a great price.

I just looked at Amazon, and they have my Fram Ultra filter type listed for the same $8.97 as my local Walmart... and $7.62 per filter if purchased with "Subscribe and Save". I assume you have Fram Ultras delivered from Amazon on a set schedule to get that price, correct?

correct....

Originally Posted By: steveh
Same price I would get the Ultra. But I can get the Napa Golds on sale for $3.69 twice a year.

What time a year are those sales. All the ones ive seen only take them down to about $6?

I don't pay 8.97 like you and many others do. I pay 7.63 through amazon, so to me it's a great filter and a great price.

I just looked at Amazon, and they have my Fram Ultra filter type listed for the same $8.97 as my local Walmart... and $7.62 per filter if purchased with "Subscribe and Save". I assume you have Fram Ultras delivered from Amazon on a set schedule to get that price, correct?

correct....

Through filter1.com I just got 7 Wix filters for $5.84 each. That is with the $5 shipping added into the price.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
5-6k mile O/FCIs?

It won't matter one bit. Seriously, it simply won't matter. They are both excellent filters, and either is grossly under utilized at your planned interval. And since the cost is a wash, we might as well speak to other criteria ...

You might as well have a debate about which color of can compliments the block paint. Or perhaps which weighs less so that you get a micro-fractional increase in fuel mileage. Or which has a smoother exterior to cut down on wind resistance ...

I have fallen into a routine of 6-month service intervals, trying to go through my vehicles once in April and once in October. Typically, that will mean about 5-6K miles in that time frame. It's just easier to knock them out in one or two days than play it by miles and have to do them one here and one there. I try to service the lawn equipment on the same days as the vehicles.

I bought a Fram Ultra just to check it out. It was $8.97 plus tax (Walmart) for a total of $9.54. I don't recall the NAPA Gold total cost, but it was pushing $8 out the door if I remember correctly. I priced the Wix through my Amsoil PC account, and if I buy an entire year's worth in one shot, the cost averaged out to be a bit over $7 a filter including shipping and taxes. If I buy all my oil and other Amsoil items on the same shipment, the cost would keep going down as shipping would become less expensive per item as more items are added on one shipment.

I'm still pondering at the moment. The build quality of the Fram Ultra feels pretty darn good. And a Wix/NAPA Gold/P1 will be within about $2-$2.50 per filter of the Fram Ultra at Walmart's prices. Theoretically, I could run the Ultra for two OCIs, but I prefer to change the filter with each oil change. Is that $2ish spread over time worth the increased build quality of the Fram Ultra? That's the bottom line question I suppose...

Not knowing about your specific vehicle(s), I'll just presume they are well maintained and in good shape ...

5-6k miles is easily doable on just about any shelf-brand filter; Puro Classic, Fram EG, M/C, etc. They will all do a decent job. You can spend more for "better" filters, but they will not return your investment in reduced wear; there is no data that supports that conclusion. If you OCI that often, the filter is really only there to catch large chunks, and small stuff passes anyway. Therefore it is the combination of the anti-agglomerates keeping soot small so as to avoid gouging action of particles against surfaces, and the tribochemical barriers reducing contact wear.

That "2ish" dollars you spend is certainly worth it if it makes you sleep better at night; I'll not debate that. But that money won't protect your engine any "better"; there's no proof I'm aware of to support that statment.

I just bought a dozen Wix/Napa Gold for my Camaro for $4.03+frt (about $5 ea delivered) vs. $7 with tax in the auto parts store. Now I'm set for years and I don't spend gas driving around all over the place trying to save a nickel.

http://www.fleetfilter.com/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Not knowing about your specific vehicle(s), I'll just presume they are well maintained and in good shape ...

5-6k miles is easily doable on just about any shelf-brand filter; Puro Classic, Fram EG, M/C, etc. They will all do a decent job. You can spend more for "better" filters, but they will not return your investment in reduced wear; there is no data that supports that conclusion. If you OCI that often, the filter is really only there to catch large chunks, and small stuff passes anyway. Therefore it is the combination of the anti-agglomerates keeping soot small so as to avoid gouging action of particles against surfaces, and the tribochemical barriers reducing contact wear.

That "2ish" dollars you spend is certainly worth it if it makes you sleep better at night; I'll not debate that. But that money won't protect your engine any "better"; there's no proof I'm aware of to support that statment.

Seems reasonable. My vehicles are well maintained and in great shape (*knock on wood*). I'll give the Fram Ultra a try since I already bought it, but I may revert back to Wix for the long run. Wix makes a reasonably priced, quality filter that fits the bill for my OCI. I like the price/value ratio of the Fram Ultra, but I do agree that it may not yield a realized benefit over the Wix given my scenario. If I ever do move to a once-a-year OCI... then I'll revisit the Ultra (and possibly the Amsoil EaO/Ea15K).

But it never hurts to try something new once in a while though.. so I'll give the Fram Ultra a go.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back