Best Pushmowers Ever (List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Russell
I am considering the Husqvarna HU800AWD 22 inch All-Wheel Drive Lawn Mower - mainly because i have a terraced area, not a large yard. What is the current opinion? Any good?

They are fine, but not stellar. They're made by American Yard Products, so it'll be similar to models from Craftsman. The Honda GCV190 engine is a good engine, but the transmissions likely won't last for decades of use. The engine probably wouldn't either, for that matter. If you don't plan to hold on to something that long, then it'll probably be fine. At $500 new, however, I think there are probably better options. It's one HEAVY machine, and isn't terribly maneuverable.

How about the Savage self propelled reel mower ? My '54 still starts within 3 pulls and mows and goes well. Lots of folks around here mangled them b pulling off the horizontal shaft Briggs on them to make go-carts and such.

I believe my neighbor had one of those 2 cycle Homelites when I was a kid. His wife killed it by not using gas/oil mix in it.

Finally convinced my old man during the mid-70's to buy a lawn boy 2 stroke to replace the @#$%! piece of junk Sears powered reel mower. Never complained about having to do the yard again. Magnesium alloy deck. Staggered wheels. Exhaust down below. Plenty of power. Very light weight. Great bagger. No drama starting. What a great mower.

I'm not sure what the best mower is, but I think it depends on your needs.

Two strokes aren't for me. They might have more power, but they are buzzy, smokey, and often hard to find parts for. Ever try to find a coil for a Suzuki 2-stroke on an old Toro mower? Pretty much impossible, and if you find one they are extremely expensive.

I'm not a fan of aluminum decks either, at least the Toro decks. I've seen far more aluminum deck Toros that have holes in them from corrosion eating through than rusted out steel decks.

I like my 2008 Toro Recycler. It mulches very well, has a strong steel deck that isn't showing any signs of rust. The Briggs and Stratton 6.5 torque engine starts first pull even after sitting for months during winter. Parts are easy to get, and its a very comfortable mower to use. The drive system and engine are also very easy to service. It has front wheel drive, which I feel is easier to maneuver than rear drive mowers, since I can just lift up the front of the deck. It also gives a very nice cut, and I actually prefer to use it on my front lawn, since I seem to just drive in circles around all the gardens with the rider.

So far, my Toro (which was a home depot model) has been the best I've had. I think the most important factor is maintenance to make a mower last. I've had customers bring me extremely expensive lawn mowers that are now pretty much junkers due to neglect.

Having worked on small engines for 14 years now (since I was 10), I can say that Briggs and Stratton is my favorite engine brand. The parts availability is great, and the engines can withstand lots of abuse. The build quality of the rest of the mower is also important, but avoiding the cheap flimsy mowers is your best bet. I have a 1966 Jacobsen reel mower with a 2hp Briggs on it. I found it in the trash and it was pretty beat up. There was about 2 ounces of oil in it, and it was missing the gas cap. I put oil in it, fresh gas, a new spark plug, and it fired up on the second pull. Now that is a mower built to last.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm not saying it's the best. But for occasional trimming, I'm still using my 1988 Toro GTS 21 inch side discharge mower, Model 16585. The Suzuki two stroke engine has been great. In recent years, it doesn't get used much but always starts on the 2nd pull. AND other than replacement spark plugs, blades and air filters, it has never had to be repaired or serviced.

John Deere JX75/SB14 models with the Kawasaki engines, Tuff Torque transmissions, and aluminum decks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back