Replacing Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are thinking about replacing windows, I'm green at this subject, we have a quote scheduled this weekend.
Just asking if there's anything I should know as far as material and price, we are not looking for the cheapest or the best, just something in between.
just asking if anybody wants to share their experience and knowledge, also what kinda prices are fair, Im planning on getting a few quotes and also doing a little research.
Window sizes are 72X36, 48X36, 36X36. Thanks in advance guys.

I had my a total 17-18 windows and patio doors replaced 15-16 years ago with double pane vinyl. I didn't have op of the line (Andersons or something like that), I don't remember the brand but I think it were very solid windows and patio doors. It still feel solid today, it did very well in reduce heat loss in winter and keep the heat outside in summer. It also reduce the noise by more than 80-85%.

I think you should expect about $400-500 for smaller window and $800-1000 for larger one.

get your self a licensed contractor,pull a permit and get it all inspected, And you are probably looking at impact windows in the state of Florida unless you already have code approved shutters on your home.

Originally Posted By: jmb106
get your self a licensed contractor,pull a permit and get it all inspected, And you are probably looking at impact windows in the state of Florida unless you already have code approved shutters on your home.

We have shutters.

This is a big money maker, replacement windows are very easy and take about 10-30 minutes a window to do.

I'd go with Anderson, Home Depot has the best prices on them now. As for the money $100 a window, although a lot of contractors soak homeowners for $500+. Homies should be able to get you an Anderson 200 series in the high $200 range; I think the 400 series which are better run $300+

You need to figure out your local building codes, if you can get away with a DP35 or you need a DP50 window. Typically on replacement windows it doesn't matter since you don't have to bring old construction up to current codes unless your over 50%.

Last edited:
yeah I think that was part of the wind mitigation inspection last year, still cant get a break on the insure.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I'd go with Anderson, Home Depot has the best prices on them now.

IMO: My first response would be to NOT do them if they are quality sash windows with chained counterweights. Our home had them, my parents and grandparents homes HAVE them, and they are really the best. Updated with some new wood, some sealing capability and storm windows, they will work well and look the best.

Living in Florida with probably typical 1950s through modern construction with normal stuff, Id not think twice about replacing them if leaky/drafty/ugly. And if replacing, I agree with above - go Anderson.

Unfortunatately in our home the previous owners installed vinyl windows. Nicely energy efficient and pretty decent quality units, but the few in some rooms that are Anderson are IMO much nicer units that look and fit better in the window. Also, our non-andersons came with only half-screens for whatever reason, and they were designed in a poor manner so that bugs can sneak in. In this day and age with most people never opening windows I suppose it didnt matter to the designer... But we love to have our windows open, and so it is a pain. OP may not matter since FL is so nasty humid in most places...

They are the old crank aluminum windows, we are overdue on replacing them,on some of them ive used screws to hold them shut.

Meh I hate old windows, no single pane window will hold a candle to modern ones in terms of energy efficiency.

Which is one of the reasons a modern house costs a fraction to heat and cool of what an older home does.

If you really want nice windows Anderson has the A series or you can go to a Harvey or Marvin. All of which can be made to look like old wood windows and offer features like triple pane and impact protection from flying objects. If your doing a high end remodel on a Victorian house in an historic district or something you can get a modern double hung that looks old.

Decent windows start with the 200 series around $270 each ish, and go all the way up to a Harvey or Marvin at $1k+ each.

If your on a budget anything that's not name brand and under the $250 mark is pretty much all the same double hung junk. Atrium are slightly better, United and Earth Wise come to mind as well. So buy on price and tell the sales guy not to waste your time.

I buy probably 100+ windows a year for my projects.

Last edited:
Meh I hate old windows, no single pane window will hold a candle to modern ones in terms of energy efficiency.

Thats fine, and why old windows need to be kept in good shape and storm windows used. For for older homes with actual character and craftsmanship, removal of the windows can be detrimental, with look-alikes certainly not being anywhere near true to the form.

Energy efficiency I agree, but with the right mitigations, it becomes moot. We had a long thread on here about that a few years back...

New ones ae easy to install and keep, which is why people like them. But most homes are built with garbage home depot trim and design aspects that if torn out or ruined wouldnt be the end of the world anyway. I refuse to live in a home built after 1935, even if they are really nice and well made inside. I have a number of friends in custom homes and $1M+ type places, not the biggest but certainly nice, large, "well made" homes, built in the last 40 or so years. Im still not a big fan, personally.

The OP has some metal crank windows now so anything will be an upgrade, and I agree with you, Anderson is probably the way to go. The fancier brands may be nicer but also may not be noticed on the inside or out, depending upon window treatments and other installation factors, nor do they necessarily bring much utility to the table...

I did them myself in the last place. The original house had POS double pain aluminum windows. No vapor barrier or caulk. I bought Milgard windows from Home Depot, double pain, vinyl type.
Was a starter house and Milgards were 100 times better than the old ones.

They came out great! Made the house quieter and did help with the power.

Took me two weekends with paint and trim. Mine were easy because I had T111 siding. Not sure what kind you have.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Thats fine, and why old windows need to be kept in good shape and storm windows used. For for older homes with actual character and craftsmanship, removal of the windows can be detrimental, with look-alikes certainly not being anywhere near true to the form.

Energy efficiency I agree, but with the right mitigations, it becomes moot. We had a long thread on here about that a few years back...

New ones ae easy to install and keep, which is why people like them. But most homes are built with garbage home depot trim and design aspects that if torn out or ruined wouldnt be the end of the world anyway. I refuse to live in a home built after 1935, even if they are really nice and well made inside. I have a number of friends in custom homes and $1M+ type places, not the biggest but certainly nice, large, "well made" homes, built in the last 40 or so years. Im still not a big fan, personally.

The OP has some metal crank windows now so anything will be an upgrade, and I agree with you, Anderson is probably the way to go. The fancier brands may be nicer but also may not be noticed on the inside or out, depending upon window treatments and other installation factors, nor do they necessarily bring much utility to the table...

Having either owned, worked on, or walked threw probably hundreds of pre war homes I can say the only ones that impressed me were very expensive new. Cheap pre war homes which 90% of them are are [censored].

We have a couple 5k-10k sf Victorians in town from the turn of the century which cost a fortune to build than and would today. Those houses are impressive. As are the custom new homes next to them that look old, but are 80's vintage. Historic district and all.

Most pre war homes just used 1x4 or 1x3 for window trim, nothing special. If you work on enough pre war homes you will notice all the old windows are the same. Just like today builders used all the same builders grade windows.

My friends parents live in one that is fairly original and needs updating, their oil bill is well north of $2k a month in the winter for just the two of them. A family with kids would double that. Old and "original" is expensive.

OTOH my uncle lives in a modern beach house and his gas bill is in the $400 range.

Both have around 6k sf of conditioned space. Technology has come a long way, and his beach house isn't even anything special insulation wise. If he maxed out today's technology he could probably cut that gas bill way down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back