Mobil 1 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i just got my truck with 82k on it i posted about it on here a few weeks ago when deciding on my first fill. I went with regular Mobil 1 and Bosch Distance Plus filter. On amazon I am seeing Mobil 1 Extended Preformance filters for just under 8. I paid 12 for the D+ and I am curious as to wether or not Mobil 1 EP filter is better, should I stock up on a few at this price its 4-5$ cheaper than D+ and i figure M1 is better.
-Sam

You can get Mobil 1 EP for $25.17 (5-quart jug - same price as the regular version) and a higher quality Fram Ultra Oil Filter for $8.97 +/- at your local Walmart.

What OCI do you plan on?
If you're doing the 5-6K runs typical of most of us, then you don't need either a D+ or an M1 oil filter.
These have the constuction quality and holding capacity for extended drains.
They aren't any more efficient than many cheaper oil filters.
Of course, if you run either for two drains, you'd then be getting your money's worth out of them.
You probably aren't gaining anything using M1 oil either.
If you intend to run 8-10K drains, then your oil and filter choice makes sense.
Now, if you got both at a real steal, then I'd be entirely in agreement with your choice.
JMHO

Spin on filter at or above $7-8 then Fram Ultra is the best buy, about $5-7 then Fram Tough Guard, Wix, Napa Gold ... are good choices

I'd stay away from Bosch Distance+ until Purolator gets their torn pleat syndrome fixed.

Mobil 1 EP is still a very good filter; one of the best.

Fram Ultra is a wire backed synthetic media filter; it's the only good filter they make.

NAPA Platinum is another wire backed synthetic media filter and it's on sale for $5 off thru April.

Spending over 7 or 8 bucks for an ol'Fildure is insane! Get a napa gold for like 6$ if you really want "the little extra" touch. Over 6000 miles is when you may want to use a higher quality filter, IMO

NAPA Gold is just a plain 'ol Wix. I got the NAPA Platinum for $7.48
56.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'd stay away from Bosch Distance+ until Purolator gets their torn pleat syndrome fixed.

There's been no evidence of Bosch issues and darned little evidence that there is a pervasive pleat problem with Purolators.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
What OCI do you plan on?
If you're doing the 5-6K runs typical of most of us, then you don't need either a D+ or an M1 oil filter.
These have the constuction quality and holding capacity for extended drains.
They aren't any more efficient than many cheaper oil filters.
Of course, if you run either for two drains, you'd then be getting your money's worth out of them.
You probably aren't gaining anything using M1 oil either.
If you intend to run 8-10K drains, then your oil and filter choice makes sense.
Now, if you got both at a real steal, then I'd be entirely in agreement with your choice.
JMHO

The evidence out there is that the Mobil1 filters, Fram ToughGard and Ultra, and NAPA Gold ARE better than plain-paper oil filters, more efficient. The ISO 4548-12 results show those filters get far more junk particles out that can interfere with oil film performance, the stuff below 20 microns. Oil films run from zero to 50 microns thick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

There's ... darned little evidence that there is a pervasive pleat problem with Purolators.

There's even less evidence that there isn't.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

There's been no evidence of Bosch issues and darned little evidence that there is a pervasive pleat problem with Purolators.

Several guys on this forum have posted pictures of torn pleats for the whole world to see. How much evidence do you want?

NAPA Gold is just a plain 'ol Wix. I got the NAPA Platinum for $7.48
56.gif

Aren't you one to not recommend the platinum?

Originally Posted By: fordranger03
Aren't you one to not recommend the platinum?

No that's ZeeOSix. He says the Platinum filters are full of holes.
grin2.gif

Several guys on this forum have posted pictures of torn pleats for the whole world to see. How much evidence do you want?

I would love to see some evidence that it resulted in something more than a tiny percentage of oil bypassing the media. A few holes, a little sludge, a dent in the fender are all realities of automobile life that don't operationally amount to a hill of beans.

Running around screaming "Failure!" is not very helpful or informative.

A tear provides a very low resistance path for oil flow in comparison to flow through the filter media, and so will pass a significant amount of unfiltered oil. Try this illustrative experiment: Watch water flow through a coffee filter and note the flow rate. Now make a small tear in the bottom of the filter, run water through the filter, and note the new flow rate. The increase in unfiltered flow is significantly greater than the ratio of the filter area to the tear area. Same thing happens in a torn oil filter. The good news is that with less debris passing through and being trapped in the media the filter lasts much longer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back