Finally, ADBV's that work !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an ordeal !

Our '01 Nissan Patrol (4.2 litre turbo diesel) uses two oil filters, a full flow and a combination filter (by-pass and full flow).
When new with the OEM filters, the oil light would stay on for up to 8 seconds after standing overnight, not good. When we took it to a local mechanic for warranty servicing, his filters (Sakura and Nippon Max) also led to the same problem. When finally out of warranty, I took over the maintenance and used Donaldson (made in a joint venture plant in Indonesia, by the parent company of Sakura, ADR)
Finally the oil light went out in under 3 seconds after standing overnight.
But, I cross referenced those filters from another suppliers chart. I contacted Donaldson Oz who advised the correct pt. # for the full flow filter.

Uh oh.
The oil light was back to taking 8 seconds to go out. When spinning off the filter, it was bone dry. The d@mn ADBV wasn't holding.
I went through three Donaldson (out of different batches) in short order.

After glowing reviews on BITOG of Wix and their slicon ADBV, I ordered two.
Uh oh.
When they turned up, the boxes had the Wix pt. # stuck on a Sakura box, with a Sakura filter (made in Indonesia ) at over twice the price I would pay for a Sakura. As it was a special order, I had to take them
mad.gif

Back to 6-8 seconds for the oil light to go out. The guys from the Wix distributor wouldn't believe me and tried to tell me it was a fault with the vehicle and not the ADBV. "How come the filter is empty when I spin it off, sounds like the ADBV to me ?" He had to grudgingly agree.

I tried a Purolater, it was worse. Up to 10 seconds before the light extinguished.
This is mad.
I've tried six different filters in one oil change period !

I had a Donaldson P169071 filter in stock, a 'high efficiency' version of their Ford/Motorcraft AFL1 eqivalent (syntec media, assembled by Champion). This isn't the correct filter, as the Nissan uses a block mounted by-pass of indeterminate blow off pressure, but I thought, what have I got to lose.
dunno.gif

I coupled it with an OEM Nissan combo filter (made in Thailand, I'm not terribly impressed with the construction of the Indonesian made Donaldsons ) during an oil change last night.

Yeee haaa, the oil light now goes out in under 2.5 seconds after standing overnight. Success ! The crazy part is this isn't an isolated case, as an awful lot of posters on a Patrol board here in Oz have experienced the same problems with OEM and aftermarket filters.

How many others have had similar experiences here ?
Is it that much to ask for an ADBV that actually functions ?
dunno.gif

BTW, I'm still waiting for warranty on the Wix

tdi-rick, in what orientation does the filter mount to the engine? Threads up, threads down, threads pointing at some angle from the horizontal?

tdi-rick, one way you might elevate your problem is to get a remote filter mount and re-orient the filter with the threads up. I realize it will cost in time and money to do so, but it could save you from having to continually hunt down and test oil filters. Just a thought.

On the other hand, I've been using Motorcraft FL-1A and FL-400S in a similar mount orientation with fairly good results.

[ March 22, 2005, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

You mentioned the block mounted unknown bypass. If it fails(clogged or stuck), the cold oil will have a difficult time struggling through the filter media adding some of those seconds to the oil-light-on-time.

Try some other filters with the added insurance of a built in bypass. Those 8-10 seconds aren't just the ADBV failure.

Medic, nice simple test. I was just part filling the filters and sitting them. Same result.
Shannow is a bit of a stirrer.
lol.gif

undummy, the three Donaldsons that failed the overnight sit test, P557780, use a by-pass valve. (18psi IIRC)
They were also empty when spun off, meaning they'd leaked. Thanks anyway.

427Z06, yep, a remote mount would 'cure' the problem, and I have a remote head sitting on the shelf. just too lazy to fit it.
wink.gif

The Motorcraft's available here, to the best of my knowledge, are Australian made ones (GUD/Ryco) and use 30-35 micron nominal paper in their aftermarket AFL1 equivalent filter, the ubiquitous in Australia, Z9. I know of a few blokes using these on their Patrols, as they are dirt cheap here, and one fellow has clocked over 400 000km on his engine so far, still with good compression and no oil consumption.

FWIW, the Purolator, L39020, is made in Korea.

It was a great test.

I reckon that it could be advanced by having a hollow plug instead of the bolt, and attach a vertical 24" (roughly engine height) pipe with a burette on top to measure the leakage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back