98 Corolla 5-speed Slipping out of 4th Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.
This problem started yesterday. Don't think I've ever experienced it before except occasionally with reverse. The car's a 98 Corolla approaching 230,000mi. Trans oil was changed with semi-syn store brand 75w90 around a year ago.

The transmission has begun to slightly show its age with occasional grinding when shifting (worn synchros), but never ever has slipped, chattered, or made funny noises.

Now going from 3 -> 4, if I apply any gas at all, pops right into neutral every time. Rest of the gears are still OK.

What could be the causes of this, and what is the easiest/simplest thing to start with? Thank you much.

Happened to an 81 K car years ago....it was a broken pin that held the shift fork to the rail,the pin dropped down into the transfer gears and pierced the front of the case.The vehicle had been a rental car (with a stick no less)for 2 years.I figured rough service from people who didn't care (wasn't their car) weakened it way before buying it.

Sounds like the synchros are shot and the gears are worn or the shift forks are bent. At least that's what happened in my mustang. When my trans went out I could get it into 4th... But if I got in it any bit at all it popped out of gear.

Pull the shifter boot off and look at the shift linkage/bushings; I'm guessing a bushing is bad or the linkage is loose. It can be adjusted.

If it means anything, I wasn't able to reliably hold it in 4th gear either. Even with my hand on the shifter it would usually pop out and start grinding. I will look under the boot and see if I see anything obvious. Thanks.

Really bad news for someone with only an old beater and no money :-/

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Pull the shifter boot off and look at the shift linkage/bushings; I'm guessing a bushing is bad or the linkage is loose. It can be adjusted.

Agree!

It could just be something physically preventing the gear lever from fully engaging gear.

This is often the case with old Toyota 4 and 5 speed RWD Boxes, a rubber bushing will disintegrate and prevent proper shifter motion.
An easy fix.

I'm guessing 4th is nice around town. But you're right, it's probably not a bad gear to lose. Can lug down in 5th or wind it out in 3rd.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Nobody *needs* the fourth gear! You still have working 3rd and 5th.

It is the gear that I skip fairly often. But I also use it in town almost all the time.
For cheap fixes, maybe have a look at the engine mounts, on some cars sloppy mounts can lead to shifting issues.

does this gen corolla use shift cables or a shift rod?? i do know one generation up uses cables.

if you indeed have a shift rod mechanism, then the stabilizing function could be inoperative such as broken/cracked bushing on the shifter base itself. when that happens, the movement of the engine can literally pull the shift rod and out, or partially out, of engagement ie hanging on the edges of the dogs/teeth in the collar. the engine's torque acting only on the ends of the dogs can tear them up pretty quick, leading to grinding and evnetual failure to engage.

Having replaced the clutch about a year ago, I'm fairly confident it's the linkage rods. I do have some really bad motor mounts and I plan to get it on the ramps this weekend and check for any loose bolts. It hasn't seemed as "snug" since the clutch swap, I feel like (idk, just intuition) that one of the nuts on the little suspension subframe thing that holds the steering rack may be loose - it also hold rear motor mount.

So I've got at least a set of motor mounts and some investigation to do. However I don't feel that the engine torque is the culprit necessarily here - no problems with other gears, and it will still pop out of 4th when babying it at a steady speed. Pretty easy to hold it in place though contrary to my earlier post.

I don't have a service manual, but I assume I can access everything I need by removing the center console piece.

If one of the easy fixes already mentioned don't take care of the problem, a good used transmission should be readily available at a reasonable price, especially if you're willing to r&r it yourself.

If it comes down to replacing, do you guys have any recommendations for an online source for parts like this, or does it come down to just going to your local pull-a-part and hoping for the best?

I'd feel comfortable replacing it, but boy is it a pain in the [censored].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back