Recommendation for a good "bang for the buck" tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: edyvw

I had horrible experience with Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum.
It could be due to potent suspension and brakes on VW CC, but I hit 9,000 miles when 3 out of 4 tires could not be balanced anymore.

Really? My suspension on my Passat is more potent, with Eibach Pro.Kit springs, Bilstein B8 (Sport) and H&R 24mm RSB.

They held up just fine. My only complaint about them is wet weather grip.

I can't comment about snow, since I use dedicated winter tires/wheels

I do have EBC Red Stuff on all 4 wheels, but still by my opinion horrible tire.
Why would you have that tire in summer if you drive dedicated winter tire?
I got Michelin Pilot Super Sport after Kumho's, and it is like night and day!
And true, wet grip is bad on Kumho's.

Because of the amount of miles I drive annually, I don't feel like buying new summer tires every year.

So, I rather have something that lasts at least 2 seasons

I had Kumho only because I got them when I bought CC. Probably they were cheapest option for dealer. Anyway, when I bought Tiguan for wife, I went with Conti DWS, although we moved to Colorado in meantime, so we use dedicated winter tire for winter. Anyway, DWS are seriously good tires. They have UTOG 540, very comfortable, good wet traction, and very good hydroplaning resistance. You might consider those tires for your summer driving.
I went to Big Bear with Kumho's, and rove a little on snow, they were horrible (that was not snow, just little bit of slush, and packed snow in places, but I wanted to try how they do).

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

I'm still kind of stuck on the Firestone and that Altimax RT43. Gahh.. Decisions, decisions...

I'd still take the H-rated HP over the new RT.

At $70, it's still an excellent tire value.

At least according to TR, there are not a mountain of choices in that size for some reason (no Contis or B-Stones):

Tire Rack

The last two sets I have purchased are the Arizonian brand at Discount Tire. They are a little more expensive than Kuhmo or Generals but IMO they are way better for the little price increase. After my first set, I purchased a set of Pirelli and a set of Good Year's. Went back to the Arizonian brand for both of my vehicles this past year when they were due for tires...

"Best bang for the buck" ???
Yea.
A few years back i bought a set of wal-marts "Douglas Xtra Trac's" for a little Bronco i had. Just needed them for "rim savers" as i intended to sell the suv soon.
I didnt even actually "buy" them.
One of the owners of the co. i work for would pay us an occasional visit. Usually around a holliday. This often involved getting a "Sam's club" gift card in celebration of the season.
I had 3 $50 cards saved.
They paid the amount of the tires, i paid mounting and sales tax.

Plus..... they worked remarkably well! A bit mushy in the sidewalls, but very good dry and wet traction.
I even used them offroad. The Bronco did many a trail in the Silverton-Ouray Colorado area.
Made several long trips, including one to Stillwater OK with a trailer in tow.
Never a problem, smooth quiet ride, good traction even on the dirt trails.
Then...........i decided to keep the little Bronco for a while.
And figured i'd upgrade the tires. (P235-75-15's btw)
But the Xtra-trac's were still in very good shape!
So, rather than scrap them, i sat them out for sale. But i couldn't remember what i had originally paid for them.....
Guy was looking at them, and asked how much?
I said "i dunno? how's $200 sound?"
SOLD.
Then a few weeks later i found the reciept for $160 and change.......
Bought the tires used them for almost 30,000 miles, sold them used and MADE almost $40 on the deal!

Best "bang for the buck" ???? ;-)

I thought that I'd bump this thread up with our decision.

With winter coming I wanted to get the General Altimaz HP's off of there- not only because their tread depth was getting down, but because they are starting to crack on the sidewall and in between the tread as well.

I ended up ordering the Firestone Precision Touring, primarily because my wife was left with such a favorable impression of the FR 710's. I asked if she had any input on what she wanted- the answer was "I want the same tires as the Grand Am". Since I didn't see the FR 710 offered in that size through our supplier, I ordered the Precision Touring instead.

If I remember, I'll post back with any impressions on their ride/handling.

Finally, thanks again to everyone for taking the time to chime in with your experiences and/or opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back