Anyone else use GasBuddy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great for when I'm traveling and has helped me spot a few stations that have consistently lower prices. Price alert for spiking gasoline is also a nice feature.

not pumping my own gas would drive me nuts if it was illegal here. Will they ban washing my windows or checking oil next? Pumping gas is my 93 octane amendment and I will protect it by not driving anywhere that takes my petrol liberties from me lol.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
not pumping my own gas would drive me nuts if it was illegal here. Will they ban washing my windows or checking oil next? Pumping gas is my 93 octane amendment and I will protect it by not driving anywhere that takes my petrol liberties from me lol.

I kind of freaked me out when I drove through Oregon. The odd thing was that the prices were generally lower than going through California and Washington. I also wasn't sure if I was supposed to tip the attendant. The other thing was that there was no rule against my leaving the car. The pump still had a pay at the pump terminal, and I could always start it myself if I wanted to. I cleaned my own windows once, and the attendant said there was nothing that stopped me from doing so.

I avoid buying gas in the city limits of Chicago. The taxes are horrible. Downtown Chicago is the worst and I can find gas 60 cents cheaper just 15 minutes or so away.

I use GasBuddy in several ways.
1. I look at the Gas Price chart (see example http://www.DaytonGasPrices.com/retail_pr...=1&units=us ), and estimate when the next "bump" will happen , and make sure I buy gas before the estimated bump.
2. There is 2 very competitive local areas of stations. I use GasBuddy to select the which has best price.
3. Traveling on the interstate, on a smart phone, I have options on which interchange to get best gas price.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
I avoid buying gas in the city limits of Chicago. The taxes are horrible. Downtown Chicago is the worst and I can find gas 60 cents cheaper just 15 minutes or so away.

I live near the edge of the RTA taxing area, so I usually buy gas in one of the neighboring, non-RTA counties whenever I can. It's usually 4-6 cents cheaper, and since I do most of my shopping in those areas anyway, it's not like I'm driving any extra to save some pennies.

Interestingly enough, the gas prices keep dropping the father west or south you go in Illinois. I've seen prices in places like Ottawa another 30-cents cheaper than in my area, which is already 20-30 cents cheaper than Chicago.

I am a poster on Illinoisgasprices.com, and, lacking any imagination, my ID there is the same.

Originally Posted By: daman
Yep i use it all the time,never won any gas yet.

Same here. No luck. Sometimes there's about a $.40/gal difference within the three stations I usually gas up at. It helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back