Toyota brand cartridge filters OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2010 Corolla and 2009 Vibe that both have the 2ZR-FE engine and use the same filter. I've noticed the Toyota brand filters sell in bulk on eBay for good prices ($4.50 or so each). This is about half the price of the Fram Tough Guard filters I've been using, and even cheaper than the Extra Guard, Driveworks, and Purolator Classic filters I've considered.

NAPA gold filters are also available locally for not much more (about $6.50).

Are these quality units? Should I pick up a pack and forget about it, switch over to Napa Gold, or do something else? I'd think that Toyota-brand parts are quality, but you never know with this sort of thing.

Are there any comparative tests of these filters?

Last edited:
They are a good filter and if you go to your dealer the service counter only charges 5 bucks or so for them. Basically the aftermarket is a ripoff for cartridge filters for whatever reason, not just the Toyota filters.

Make sure the box has a hologram on it otherwise guaranteed its a Chinese fake, I only like the japan made Foam style you get in the car and at Lexus for the smaller engines with VVTi.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Make sure the box has a hologram on it otherwise guaranteed its a Chinese fake, I only like the japan made Foam style you get in the car and at Lexus for the smaller engines with VVTi.

The hologram is a good point. I'd be happier paying 5.50 at the dealer than 4.50 on ebay any day.

1351371d1391535545-genuine-toyota-oil-filter-japanese-vs-thailand-made-15601_original.jpg

A shout out to pakwheels forums
smile.gif

http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/attachme...01_original.jpg

Last edited:
looks like blended carrots :p I would guess that Toyota makes a high quality filter, although it sure does look different than the ones I use in my Saturn.

Fascinating. The filter in question is a cartridge filter, though, not a spin-on. Traditional pleated media.

Looks like I got ripped off at Autozone last week. I guess I'll have to swing by a dealership and pick up 5-10 to have sitting around.

I'm a big fan of using OEM oil filters. I use the dealer-supplied made-in-Thailand Denso filters on my B-I-L's 2009 Corolla. Cost me exactly $5 at the local dealer. What's not to like, especially when the FRAM bottom-of-the-line version is $9.49 at AAP.

I stopped using Toyota OEM oil filters when I saw this. Toyota OEM only came in at 51% @ 20 microns efficiency per the ISO test standard.

AmsoilEaOilFilterEfficiency.jpg

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I stopped using Toyota OEM oil filters when I saw this. Toyota OEM only came in at 51% @ 20 microns efficiency per the ISO test standard.

Interesting! I wonder if there's any similar data for other popular brands like Wix or Fram?

My understanding is that Toyota values flow over efficiency. Since Toyota engines are known for their longevity and ruggedness, even in countries where maintenance is not performed religiously, I have to believe their OEM filters are more than up to the task on their own engines.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
My understanding is that Toyota values flow over efficiency. Since Toyota engines are known for their longevity and ruggedness, even in countries where maintenance is not performed religiously, I have to believe their OEM filters are more than up to the task on their own engines.

It's probably because of EPA mpg requirements. Better filtering media will always cause more back pressure which eats into mpg.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

It's probably because of EPA mpg requirements. Better filtering media will always cause more back pressure which eats into mpg.

You couldn't even measure the effect of the flow resistance of an oil filter on engine gas mileage because it's so way down in the noise level.

The "back pressure" is caused by a specific viscosity of the oil seeing the engine oiling drills and bearing clearances - NOT by the filter. Stop thinking that the filter outlet is "wide open" seeing 1atm with no impedance. Think of the engine oiling system as a resistor in an electrical equivalent circuit. At higher RPMS most oil pumps - which are over capacity - are bypassing in the pump or filter adapter - not the filter proper. Oil pumping takes horsepower - but NOT effectively increased due to the filter "restriction".

Tell me, where do you buy those?

Can you explain why that is bad?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Can you explain why that is bad?

Seems to me that having more 20 micron particles in your oil would, at the very least, not be beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back