2014 Camry Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mykl
My primary complaints for my Camry would be the gearbox and the steering. Handling is what it is... the car is a boat and I accept it as such because it's a Camry.

I can get over the sluggish transmission because they at least gave me the easy option to slap it over to sequential and have it automatically drop to 4th gear, which greatly helps with keeping the engine on boil for merging from on-ramps.

The steering is annoying because it's too light and lacks any kind of on-center feel. I find it difficult to keep it tracking in a straight line down the freeway without frequent adjustments, but maybe that's because I'm used to the GTI. I'm getting better at it, but it feels like the car needs more caster angle and a bit less of a boost from the power steering while at freeway speeds.

It's a fine car for point A to point B, and the V-6 is a gem. We cross shopped and test drove quite a few other similar cars, and I would disagree with the idea that anything American is automatically better.

I can fully understand disappointment with steering and changing gears....I deal with the latter by driving sticks, and although the electronic clutch has virtually no feel, (no big deal, that...I "clutch" by peddle distance and engine response, not peddle feel), it still gives me control over the engine's revs...maybe I just don't know how to drive an AT...

...as for the steering, I upsized from 15s to 17"ers and find that THAT has cured most complaints...the ride is more stable, front to back between gears and under heavy braking, and on turns there's far less leaning....the larger rims PLUS performance tires replacing OEM-type touring tires did the trick...the Hankook Ventus are SOLID (though loud on concrete) and drive straight (especially well) through heavy rain...very safe ride now.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Mykl
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Your neighbor is nuts.
smile.gif

Why? Because he has a different opinion than you?

It was a tongue in cheek remark, did you happen to notice the smiley?

I think the problem here, is a failure to communicate.... and that I'm kinda slow. But mostly it's because I'm slow.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
...as for the steering, I upsized from 15s to 17"ers and find that THAT has cured most complaints...the ride is more stable, front to back between gears and under heavy braking, and on turns there's far less leaning....the larger rims PLUS performance tires replacing OEM-type touring tires did the trick...the Hankook Ventus are SOLID (though loud on concrete) and drive straight (especially well) through heavy rain...very safe ride now.

A stick wasn't really an option as the vehicle is my wife's primary car. I should restate... as far as automatic transmissions in a car like this goes, it's par for the course. It would be nice if it were a touch smoother, or a touch faster, or a touch more responsive.... but it's perfectly fine in this application. I should simply be thankful that Toyota gave me the easy to use 'S' option for those times when I need to force a quick downshift.

*edit* now I remember... my biggest complaint with the transmission is one quirk in the shift control program. If I slowly start squeezing in the throttle I don't get a steady increase in acceration, if I keep squeezing it there will be a point where it decides to downshift and send me off like a rocketship, when all I wanted was just a bit more acceleration. With the V-6 sometimes I just want to gently ride the torque, when it wants to kick down a gear and send me off in a hurry. It would be one thing if I was quickly jabbing at the throttle, but this is when slow and smooth.

As far as steering and handling go, maybe that's one of the reasons the SE actually feels like a much better "driver's" car than the XLS we have. I know there are a lot of little things that set the SE apart, but the difference is surprisingly noticeable. People say these are still sluggish and numb, but I think a lot of perceptions of the LE model Camrys bleed over here when they shouldn't. Clearly it's not an S2000 or a Mustang, but if you need a modestly entertaining people mover it's not a bad option for the price.

After getting the Toyota up for its first oil change (of my ownership) and a tire rotation I now see why the car handles as poorly as it does. The front struts are both blown. Something felt fishy from behind the wheel, but now I know.

I don't expect it to transform into a Miata after I get these swapped out, but hopefully better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back