Topping off with 15W50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so my truck burns about a quart every 1500 miles. I've topped off with 10W40 and that's done nothing to reduce the oil consumption. Would switching to a 20W50 or 15W50, just for top offs, help?

I ask because after the first 1500 miles, it tends to consume oil at a bit faster rate, say around 1200 to 1300 miles a quart, so maybe a thicker oil will help with that.

Thicker oil MIGHT help, but probably not a lot, and then only if you have a full fill of it, not just top off oil. Unless you just keep running it until you have added many quarts.

Depending on what is causing the oil consumption thinner oil might help. Shell did a study on this and determined that thinner oil might help if the problem is associated with the piston rings. You might want to Google it, it has been a while since I read the article.

Have you changed your PCV valve? If not try replacing it with an OEM PCV valve, it might help. Make sure the PCV lines are clear of sludge etc.

Top off with any of those. It'll be fine.

I'd run Maxlife 10w-40 for a few changes to see if that helps. There's a 20w-50 too if it comes to that. You've got a tired engine that's likely headed toward a rebuild if you want to keep it. I found Maxlife reduced consumption in an old Jeep 4.0, but it took a few changes at 3,000 miles before it started showing results.

Yes, also check the PCV.

You could test the extreme with a dino 20w50, and see if that helps. All 15w50's I know are synthetic, and it is pretty expensive feeding a quart of synthetic into an engine every 1200 miles.

Have you checked your PCV system? Maybe it's carrying oil into the intake.

I wouldn't be bothered by a quart every 1500 miles. Just start with a 5w30 high mileage like Maxlife or Defy and buy a second jug for topping off. With that kind of consumption and a good filter you can greatly extend your changes. The frequent top offs keep the additives replenished.

As long as there won't be any drivers who don't know how to add oil I'd stick with 5w30 HM, but move up to 10w40 high mileage if it doesn't get checked often enough to keep it above minimum to give you extra time.

It's a band-aid for a bigger problem. As always, you should really focus on finding why it consumes so much oil.

My first thought was the oil rings. I was running 20w50 in my 93 Chevy Cheyenne (4.3l v6) and that slowed oil consumption a bit. When I dug into the motor, I re gasketed the whole top end, and replaced the valve stem seals, and I think that may have been the problem as oil consumption dropped off by like 90% after.

I'd try a 15W-40.
Cheap, with much higher HTHSV than a 10W-40 PCMO.
You should obviously check to see whether the PCV system is clear and functioning, but beyond that, there are no cheap and easy fixes for this consumption, although a quart each 1.5K isn't that bad.
It's possible that a strong solvent like Kreen might help free the rings, if that's what's wrong.
You could maybe try it.
You have nothing to lose.
If the PCV system checks out with no clogs and a free valve and Kreen does nothing, then a future of 15W-40 might be appropriate to this engine.
You do live in a moderate enough climate that it won't be too thick.
If you have the inline six, Isuzu designed it as a truck motor anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back