nauseousness,dry heaves in mornings.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems for the past few months, I've been getting nauseous, dry heaves when I first get up and try brushing my teeth. I eventually force myself to finish brushing my teeth. anyone know why? It only happens when I brush my teeth, after that I'm fine. I haven't been sick or no major change in habits. Anyone know what might help to minimize or eliminate this? Thanks

Wow...all this time I thought it was just me.

Dave, I've had this issue for years...makes me dread brushing my teeth, but I power through it anyway. I do have a heightened gag reflex, as my dentist well knows, but I've never discovered why.

For me, when I had it, it was stress. Now when my son had it recently, he ended up getting his appendix taken out and a few weeks later, diagnosed with severe acid reflux.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
try different toothpaste.....
Tried that, didn't help. With me it's the feeling of the toothbrush against the side of my tongue.

For me it's the flavor of my toothpaste, I got this cinammon stuff from Dollar Tree that I've been using only a little dab of and it still sets me off. Taking forever to power through it.
wink.gif

This Big time, particularly one without fluoride like Tom's of Maine or my personal fav. "JASON Sea fresh".

Also, if unable to try non-NaF toothpastes, try minimizing the time that sodium fluoride can permeate the membrane of your mouth.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: powayroger
For me, when I had it, it was stress. Now when my son had it recently, he ended up getting his appendix taken out and a few weeks later, diagnosed with severe acid reflux.
I do sometimes have heartburn at night.I'll try different toothpaste.

Do you have to blow your nose in the morning? When you gag and cough does flem come out? Sounds like you are building up fluids.

Originally Posted By: jrustles

This Big time, particularly one without fluoride like Tom's of Maine or my personal fav. "JASON Sea fresh".

Also, if unable to try non-NaF toothpastes, try minimizing the time that sodium fluoride can permeate the membrane of your mouth.

been using this stuff for years (the JASON line). teeth are whiter and there's nothing you can't pronounce in the ingredents. I tell ya, the stuff is amazing! I can't fathom the taste or smell of Crest or Colgate (or any other synthetic toothpaste now). Mind you, I never had a problem with regular toothpaste, but this other stuff just feels so much more REAL. I combine this with coconut oil pulling in the morning and my sensitive teeth are no longer sensitive to hot or cold.

I would urge you to try any DIY baking soda toothpaste recipe from a simple web search. Had a case of "silent reflux" several years ago. Eventually ended up in an ENT's office and left with a scrip for the purple pills.

But then the tube of sooper dooper, kills critters in your mouth, heavily marketed toothpaste ran out and I temporarily used some baking soda from the kitchen. It was like flipping a switch. Reflux quickly disappeared. Now I just use the plainest, most inexpensive baking soda based toothpaste I can find on sale.

Don't know if it will help you, but I think there is too much junk in some toothpastes these days.

I get acid reflux sometimes and it feels like fire in my chest and/or a burning feeling at the very back of my throat,never experience any nausea. I take a half Prilosec every other day and it keeps mine under control. If you're experiencing nausea,I'm thinking something else has to be happening.

Have had problems with acid reflux caused by eating certain foods like dairy products.

You can find a lot of information regarding it and what causes problems on the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back