Chrysler SRT8 6.4 Hemi - Best Oil to Use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: Rodge
Originally Posted By: domer10
Ouch ya those prices are steep.....ya stick with 3000 that will be just fine, just follow break in procedure, there will be no problem at all!

Filling it up ain't cheap either mate. BP 98 Ultimate fuel is $2.33 a litre in New Zealand. You gotta be a real enthusiast to own a thirsty big V8 Hemi down here
smile.gif

Holy Moley! That Converts to $7.56 USD/US Gal...cripes...
98 RON converts over to approx 94 Octane over here, which at the local BP is $4.01/gal ($1.24 NZD/L)

A bit OT but I'm interested to know what RON95 converts too in terms of your octane number in the States. Pretty sure I remember the octane difference isn't as much of a drop as RON98 ?

I'd love you too explain this a bit if you have time.

Originally Posted By: domer10
Ouch ya those prices are steep.....ya stick with 3000 that will be just fine, just follow break in procedure, there will be no problem at all!

Filling it up ain't cheap either mate. BP 98 Ultimate fuel is $2.33 a litre in New Zealand. You gotta be a real enthusiast to own a thirsty big V8 Hemi down here
smile.gif

WOWEEEE.......u sir are a enthusiast!!!!! But the smile it puts on your face and the sound in your ears is probably worth every penny!

What did the price retail for on those, I heard a story about them going in austrailia for close to 70-80k.

You got it mate, you gotta be bloody keen down here. Fact is, unless you live in some of the Arab countries, you lucky guys in the States have some of the cheapest fuel in the world and with all that shale oil coming on stream now, it should stay that way. Enjoy !! When I'm feeling broke I put the fuel guzzling Chrysler Hemi away and drive the diesel Merc. There's always a silver lining in every cloud LOL and life ain't too bad in 100% pure New Zealand. The air and water is very clean
smile.gif

No doubt, we've got it pretty good on energy prices here. And a lot of it is domestic produciton again now, too.

One place we've been reamed a bit is diesel- what are your prices down there now? Ever since the switch to ultra-low sulfur diesel here in the US, diesel prices have been running higher than premium gasoline most of the time! Still not bad if you own an older economical Benz, a TDI, or some of the newer small diesels like a Grand Cherokee. But the guys with Powerstroke Fords and Cummins Rams have been paying a lot, especially since those trucks no longer get better MPG than their gasoline counterparts like they did in the early 1990s, what with all the particulate filters and rengeneration cycles burning up extra fuel.

domer 10 - Yeah mate you gotta love your power to own a thirsty V8 down-under. In Australia the new retail on a Chrysler SRT8 is $66,990 plus on-road costs so early on in the model's life some people were paying in the $70-80K range and that's when the Aussie dollar was worth more than the American dollar !!

Retail in N.Z. was $87,990 plus another $2,800 for the Italian leather pack covering the dashboard and door arm rolls plus on road costs, so $92,000 was about the go drive away when the SRT8 was launched here in winter 2012. We do get the tech pack, (radar cruise control and other technology and the 19 Speaker Harmon Kardon sound system included but yeah the price is still a huge rort for RHD vehicles.

By waiting till the "new model premium" had worn off I got just on $19,000 Kiwi off the price after a good long haggle on the price, so $72,750 Kiwi drive away. That said guys are buying the run-out 5 speed auto base SRT8's in America for about $40,000 U.S. dollars without most of the tech and Harmon Kardon stuff, so yeah there's no questionw e get rorted down-under although I guess the shipping can't be cheap.

Earlye - Many thanks for the Octane info on the 95 RON - I think my car should drive fine on that which is about 15 cents a litre less expensive here than 98 Octane, (2.33 v $2.18 a litre)

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
You got it mate, you gotta be bloody keen down here. Fact is, unless you live in some of the Arab countries, you lucky guys in the States have some of the cheapest fuel in the world and with all that shale oil coming on stream now, it should stay that way. Enjoy !! When I'm feeling broke I put the fuel guzzling Chrysler Hemi away and drive the diesel Merc. There's always a silver lining in every cloud LOL and life ain't too bad in 100% pure New Zealand. The air and water is very clean
smile.gif

No doubt, we've got it pretty good on energy prices here. And a lot of it is domestic produciton again now, too.

One place we've been reamed a bit is diesel- what are your prices down there now? Ever since the switch to ultra-low sulfur diesel here in the US, diesel prices have been running higher than premium gasoline most of the time! Still not bad if you own an older economical Benz, a TDI, or some of the newer small diesels like a Grand Cherokee. But the guys with Powerstroke Fords and Cummins Rams have been paying a lot, especially since those trucks no longer get better MPG than their gasoline counterparts like they did in the early 1990s, what with all the particulate filters and rengeneration cycles burning up extra fuel.

We have it not too bad on the diesel here mate and get the ultra low suplur stuff and have done for several years, its $1.44 a litre Kiwi, (which when you take into account the higher energy content in diesel with it being a heavy fuel distillate and all is pretty good), but the N.Z. Govt taxes it differently than petrol so you pay what's called a road user charge on diesel vehicles here which is calculated on the vehicles weight. For an up to 3 ton car its $57 per 1,000 km's driven.

I know what you're talking about with the DPF's and regeneration cycles and short trips, we had MAJOR drama's with our Mercedes early on with taking it for short trips to the local shops, always trying to regenerate the DPF and never being able to do so due to insufficient heat. Oil level was going up in the sump at the rate of 1 litre per 3,000 km's driven !!!!! That's excess diesel fuel from constant regeneration getting into the oil in the sump, talk about oil contamination !! As you can imagine I had a fair bit to say to Mercedes-Benz about that !!
Strangly enough even after taking several UOA it didn't seem to affect wear rates in any meaningful way.

Last edited:
When you consider that the Commondore was made in Oz, shipped to the US, and they got it cheaper than we did...yeah, we get rorted.

My mate was a Chrysler mech in NZ. They used Castrol 5w20 at the dealership in most. Castrol Edge 0w40 would be a good choice for an SRT-8.

Originally Posted By: supercity
My mate was a Chrysler mech in NZ. They used Castrol 5w20 at the dealership in most. Castrol Edge 0w40 would be a good choice for an SRT-8.

Thanks for your post mate. My previous car a FPV SC GT-P was factory filled with the 5W-20 Castrol oil and FPV recommended it. Its a very, very thin oil and my engine drank the stuff like a fish, (300-400 mls per 1,000 km's), so there's no way in the wide world I'd use that oil again and the fact that Chrysler dealerships may be using it adds to my belief that they really just use whatever they feel like with little regard for what they're supposed to use.

From what I've been able to discover it appears Castrol Edge 0W-40 has a TBN of only 7.7, (very similar number to their 5W-20) whereas Mobil 1 has a TBN of 11.8.
TBN is a measure of the oil's ability to withstand contaminants.
Mobil 1 has slightly lower viscosity when its cold and slightly higher viscosity when its hot that Castrol Edge so appears to be a superior oil.
Based on the way my previouis car burned the Castrol Edge 5W-20 and the oil spec's for Mobil 1 and the fact that my Mercedes ran beautifully on Mobil 1 for years with no consumption i'm going to use Mobil 1 in my Chrysler SRT8.

Thanks to all posters for your posts and information.

From what I've been able to discover it appears Castrol Edge 0W-40 has a TBN of only 7.7, (very similar number to their 5W-20) whereas Mobil 1 has a TBN of 11.8.

If the 0w-40 has any of the ACEA specifications, which I'm sure it does, then it's TBN will be higher than 7.7.

Having now used all your options in my R/T charger pick whichever you can find the cheapest.
They all meet the same specs and all are great products. I'm partial to the liqui-moly only because my car felt a bit more free revving.
X2 on using either mos2 or ceratec. Both products work as advertised and will help your fuel economy,if you keep your foot out of it.

Thanks for your post mate. My previous car a FPV SC GT-P was factory filled with the 5W-20 Castrol oil and FPV recommended it. Its a very, very thin oil and my engine drank the stuff like a fish, (300-400 mls per 1,000 km's), so there's no way in the wide world I'd use that oil again and the fact that Chrysler dealerships may be using it adds to my belief that they really just use whatever they feel like with little regard for what they're supposed to use.

Chrysler dealers use 5w20 because Chrysler specs it, not because they want to. Oil consumption in one vehicle is not an indication the oil is poor quality or will result in oil consumption in another vehicle.

You need to compare apples with apples. "Edge 0w40 A3/B4" is the most comparable product to M1 0w40. It must have a minimum TBN of 10.0 to meet that spec. "Edge 0w40" is C3 or Low Saps so will have a TBN around 7. With high quality fuel it will not make much difference anyway.

Mobil 1 has slightly lower viscosity when its cold and slightly higher viscosity when its hot that Castrol Edge so appears to be a superior oil.

I would not agree with that, but both are good products that will work just fine. If the viscosity makes a difference to you, well then I guess that's as good a reason as any other to choose it.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
just for the heck of it, I tried seeing what Shell's Recommendation was for that engine in your country.(Since Shell owns Pennzoil)

turns out they sold off their retail operation in NZ, so i used the lube-match on the Australian Shell Site.

everything just says "Refer to Dealer".

Should really be refer to the owners manual.

^^ Thanks guys. That Mos2 sounds like the real Mckoy.
These engines seem to run fairly hot, (maybe just while running-in ? ), so an additive that's going to reduce friction and help the engine run cooler must be good.

Garak, Spec sheet said Base number 7.7 I resume that Castrol are referring too total base number ?
I know the oil I was running in my previous car, (Castrol Edge 5W-20 semi synthetic meet all the ACEA spec's but only had a base number in the 7's somewhere, sorry I forget the last decimal point.

I can get Mobil 1 at a not totally unreasonable price, (for New Zealand), basically the same as the other two alternatives I mentioned, so with a base number of 11.8 and the widespread support of Mobil 1 by posters on this thread and the fact that Chrysler used to specify this oil itself before it changed commerical oil arrangements, makes Mobil 1 the logical selection in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: supercity
Chrysler dealers use 5w20 because Chrysler specs it, not because they want to. Oil consumption in one vehicle is not an indication the oil is poor quality or will result in oil consumption in another vehicle.

You need to compare apples with apples. "Edge 0w40 A3/B4" is the most comparable product to M1 0w40. It must have a minimum TBN of 10.0 to meet that spec. "Edge 0w40" is C3 or Low Saps so will have a TBN around 7. With high quality fuel it will not make much difference anyway.

I would not agree with that, but both are good products that will work just fine. If the viscosity makes a difference to you, well then I guess that's as good a reason as any other to choose it.

Why would N.Z. Chyrsler dealers use 5W-20 when the manual and engine oil filler cap specify 0W-40 ?

Thanks for your post regarding different spec's of Edge 0w-40. Yeah I was looking at the Castrol N.Z. spec sheet which was for Castrol Edge sport 0w-40 which specifies a base number of 7.7. I just had a look at the Supercheap website and the Castrol Edge they're selling is Castro, Edge 0w-40 Titanium which is inddeed an A3/B4 oil so I am happy to accept it has a high base number than the Edge sport product.

I suppose just for the sake of completness I need to try and find the spec's of Castrol, Edge 0w-40 Titanium before completing this little quest of oil type discovery.

Last edited:
Garak, Spec sheet said Base number 7.7 I resume that Castrol are referring too total base number ?
I know the oil I was running in my previous car, (Castrol Edge 5W-20 semi synthetic meet all the ACEA spec's but only had a base number in the 7's somewhere, sorry I forget the last decimal point.

An A3/B4 type oil (such as the 0w-40) has a higher minimum TBN than an A1/B1 type 5w-20. The latter should still be above 8, in any case. Castrol sheets are terrible, though.

Originally Posted By: Garak

An A3/B4 type oil (such as the 0w-40) has a higher minimum TBN than an A1/B1 type 5w-20. The latter should still be above 8, in any case. Castrol sheets are terrible, though.

Dead right mate... despite some considerable digging I can't find the TBN of Castrol Edge Titanium 0W-40 A3 B4. Their spec sheet doesn't mention TBN at all ?

The Castrol sheets notoriously ignore specifications, provide obviously incorrect specifications, and so forth. Aside from that, Castrol is pretty good about seeking and maintaining builder approvals, along with having ACEA certifications, so I wouldn't even worry much about what a data sheet says about the product, aside from meeting correct specifications.

Don't forget Fuchs Titan Supersyn LONGLIFE 5W-40, made by the largest independent oil producer in the world. It should be available throughout NZ - their headquarters are in Auckland.

Regards, lim

Originally Posted By: lim
Don't forget Fuchs Titan Supersyn LONGLIFE 5W-40, made by the largest independent oil producer in the world. It should be available throughout NZ - their headquarters are in Auckland.

Regards, lim

Man, you are advertising Fuchs on every subject. Chill out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back