Wal-Mart concept truck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having extensive exposure to advanced composites in the aviation field I can say that carbon fiber isn't the best choice for this application. While it is very strong it is also very fragile. A trailer would have a life span of about one year when abused by the loading dock workers.

As for the engine, of course it uses a motor oil, albeit in the form of a turbine engine oil. What the gentleman was saying is that it wouldn't require was DEF exhaust fluid that the current fleet of diesel powered vehicles require.

I would personally like to see delivery trucks reduced in size and used exclusively as tranport of product from distribution facility-to-store. I'd like to see rail transport used to supply the distribution facilities. I feel that our infrastructure could use a make-over.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
As for the engine, of course it uses a motor oil, albeit in the form of a turbine engine oil. What the gentleman was saying is that it wouldn't require was DEF exhaust fluid that the current fleet of diesel powered vehicles require.

Been following Capstone turbines for a long time, and they have (and the guy states it) air lubricated bearings on the turbines.

Capstone have been making turbo-generators for landfills and building applications for ages

Did he state this in the above cited video? Maybe I missed it. With centrifugal flow turbines the shafts aren't really carrying any load. I'm certain that there will need to be some sort of barrier for thrust loads at the point of power transfer. Maybe it's using electric motors to drive the truck and using the centrifugal flow turbine to generate electricity.

Regardless, it's a nice concept.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
That video was confusing. I think this one explains it all in more everyday language.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

The Turbo Encabulator is obviously the way of the future.

Still uses a transmission though...will be some oil with that I'd think. Also, that turbine is going to created lot's of heat, and being air cooled, wonder where all that wasted energy is going to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back