Costco abandons the "Clean Power" brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's now just "Kirkland Signature Gasoline".

I saw a sign similar to these (from the Costco website) when I filled up at lunch:
GasHome1-01a-140307.jpg

GasHome1-01b-140307.jpg

ks-gasoline-01-140307.jpg

Whatever they call it, I'll likely fuel our cars with it. There's a Costco opening up on my way home from work. Having more choices on where to get known good fuel is always good!

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Whatever they call it, I'll likely fuel our cars with it. There's a Costco opening up on my way home from work. Having more choices on where to get known good fuel is always good!

Same here. I usually pump any chance I get when I'm in the suburbs, but while in the city, I hardly go anywhere but Costco. Usually at least $0.10 cheaper than any other gas station (except the one gas station right down the street where it's only about $0.01 different usually).

I'm assuming the gas is pretty fresh considering the amount of cars going through there daily as well.

It's not likely to me that Costco would reduce the quality of their goods...they'd rather abandon a product than cheapen it.
Been filling up there for years, and probably many more to come.

Originally Posted By: Cadenza
It's not likely to me that Costco would reduce the quality of their goods...they'd rather abandon a product than cheapen it.
Been filling up there for years, and probably many more to come.

I doubt they changed anything regarding the additive. It's simply a rebranding. I think it was previously "Kirkland Signature Gasoline with Clean Power". This is like the post recently where someone was talking about a Gumout additive "containing Regane". I was trying to clarify that Regane is simply a brand name and not an ingredient or specific formulation.

It could be that COSTCO doesn't want to pay the "TOP TIER" organization the many thousands of dollars they demand.

I read about TOP TIER gas here. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
It could be that COSTCO doesn't want to pay the "TOP TIER" organization the many thousands of dollars they demand.

It is Top Tier. Says so on the signs.

They demanded. Costco paid.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
Recommended fuel for the C7 Corvette. What I thought when I first saw the signs at the pump

Isn't 93 AKI octane recommended?

Costco is is good gas. I will get it whenever its convient. i did some test comparing Am/PM gas and Cotco and i got a consistant 10% more a gallon. It was tight up there with Chevron, but less expensive.

The sign clearly says "TOP TIER".

One of the requirements for certification from the Top Tier organization is that all stations under the brand must have the minimum required level of additive. Costco was rolling out their use of this additive, since they are somewhat unique in having it blended at the gas station (into their tanks) rather than at the fuel depot ("splash mixed" into the fuel tanker). They had to deal with local permits for the construction - especially in California. It took them this amount of time to complete all the equipment installation. I'm guessing that the additive test report had already been sent to the Top Tier organization months ago, but final certification was contingent on all the stations being equipped to dispense the additive.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Yay for Costco being top tier!

It's really just a licensing system and associated bureaucracy. And part of that bureaucracy is that all gas stations that carry the brand name must have the required level of additive.

For the longest time BP wasn't licensed even though it was well known that they met BMW's cleanliness standards. They simply chose not to participate until recently. And Costco has a proprietary system, which I'm guessing saves them money compared to paying the fuel terminal to dump a specific additive. Most Costco stations obviously met the standard, but Top Tier withheld their certification until Costco was able to implement this system at all of their gas stations.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
but Top Tier withheld their certification until Costco was able to implement this system at all of their gas stations.

This is a good thing. When Brand X is certified, I don't need to figure out which station or which grade is actually certified.

It's a bureaucracy yes, but it's also a clear standard with extra deposit requirements. All urban areas have multiple stations that are certified, and there is no noticeable extra cost due to those brands being certified. In fact, around my home, a no name corner station that takes cash only will cost me more than a Top Tier station which takes my cash rebate credit card.

Originally Posted By: SilverGGA
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
but Top Tier withheld their certification until Costco was able to implement this system at all of their gas stations.

This is a good thing. When Brand X is certified, I don't need to figure out which station or which grade is actually certified.

It's a bureaucracy yes, but it's also a clear standard with extra deposit requirements. All urban areas have multiple stations that are certified, and there is no noticeable extra cost due to those brands being certified. In fact, around my home, a no name corner station that takes cash only will cost me more than a Top Tier station which takes my cash rebate credit card.

Costco however is kind of different. If you're getting gas at Costco, it was probably planned. And I knew all the stations near my commute that were listed as "Clean Power" stations, including Hayward, Fremont, and San Jose on Automation Pkwy. The ones that didn't were Richmond, San Leandro, and Santa Clara, although I suspected maybe they'd been upgraded (all the construction) even though they didn't put up signs until the Top Tier certification was in. I was suspecting it was happening.

And I'm not sure if the Top Tier standard is that much tougher than the California RFG3 requirement for deposit control. The numbers seem the same. However, Top Tier is a standard for the detergents more than for the fuel. I understand the base fuel used for testing is actually required to produce a certain level of deposits to serve as a worst case baseline. The California RFG3 standard just says the finished product must meet a certain standard.

Quote:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/gasoline/100912CaRFG_regs.pdf

(1)(A) No gasoline formulation shall be certified under this subsection (c) unless the applicant for certification demonstrates each of the following to the executive officer's satisfaction:

(iii) The gasoline formulation meeting the requirements of (c)(1)(A)(i), does not result in more than 1300 milligrams total deposit weight, averaged over all four combustion chambers, or, does not result in more than 140 percent total deposit weight from all four combustion chambers, relative to the gasoline formulation containing no additive, when tested in accordance with the Stationary Source Division's Test Method for Evaluating Intake Valve and Combustion Chamber Deposits in Vehicle Engines, dated March 12, 1999, which is incorporated herein by reference.

Seems close to what's required for the Top Tier certification:

Quote:
http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit_control.html

1.3.2.3 Demonstration of Performance. The base fuel from 1.3.1.2 treated with additive at the concentration meeting the standard found in 1.3.1.3 shall not result in more than 140% of the average CCD weight for the base fuel without additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back