A Slew Of Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply, I want to build a small, light, two seater sports car with a small displacement V8. I'd prefer to use a setup from a FWD car, so my options are somewhat limited. I was thinking a Cadillac Northstar, one of the ones with coil on boot and 300 HP. Another fine choice would be the Continental only InTech. InTech, do I have that correct? Anyway, both are 4.6 litres, both are DOHC with 4 valves per cylinder, and both make way too much power for such a light and basic car. I'd really love to use the AMC derived Chrysler 4.7 SOHC V8, but it wasn't fitted to a front drive car. Unless.....are the bell housing bolt patterns for the 4.7 and the 3.5 the same? Is the starter on the same side of both engines? I want a FWD setup to make this car a mid-engine sports car. Let the ideas flow. Oh, and oil choice will be QSGB in the appropriate grade.

Intech is nothing more than a the same Triton that goes in the pickups and crowns vics/town car. Many of the "intech" were first to transition to 4 valves though.

The continentals was turned sideways though. An Oddball to get the FWD to work.

Used to have a 95 Continental. Plenty of power.

And if you want the car to be light, and these v8's have too much power, why use a V8? Smoothness is overrated.

Why not? The transverse mounting of the Northstar and the Intech really pose no problems. If the 4.7 can be used, however, it would allow a straight ahead mounting position. The drivetrain would be comprised of the donor car's transmission and axles, and the donor's struts and cradle assembly would be in use as well.

I'm also thinking v-6 here. Someone else has done part of the engineering for you. I'm thinking a supercharged 3800 out of a buick, transmission and all.

Over the years, there have been a number of FWD, V8 powered cars. I'm not at all sure they are coupled to "acceptable" transmissions though. If you are going through the trouble of building a mid engined V8 car, why not use proven components? I'd argue the chances of success are far greater with proven parts.

If it's a financial consideration, I understand. But, to that, I'd counter with the fact that the Small Block Chevy provides more HP per dollar than any other possible configuration. Modern versions are light, compact, capable, and cheap.

Consider the LS4 as well. It meets your requirements of being a V8 used in FWD applications and is a tough little engine. It also gives you the option of using AFM for better fuel economy than those old OHC 4.6L engines.

Volvo (Ford) 4.4L V8 from an XC90. Can also be had as a 3.9L from the Thunderbird and Jaguar, or a 3.4 from the Taurus SHO. The 3.4's had cam issues, so the junk yards are probably full of them.

I want to use a SOHC or DOHC V8, as I'm tired of seeing nothing but small block Chevys at the shows. I have nothing against a SBC, as they are great, but they are boring. Price is an issue, and I want to see what I can build with junkyard parts and virgin skill.

Originally Posted By: Red91
I want to use a SOHC or DOHC V8, as I'm tired of seeing nothing but small block Chevys at the shows. I have nothing against a SBC, as they are great, but they are boring. Price is an issue, and I want to see what I can build with junkyard parts and virgin skill.

I have a possible solution for you. It might not make sense immediately, until you see what the potential is.

The VW VR-6 engine and transaxle with turbo.

It's incredibly light, very compact, amazingly tough, capable of stupid levels of HP and the sound is absolutely wonderful at full 9000 RPM.

And, yes, these guys are doing this on basically stock engines! I've seen them run at the local strip and I was beyond impressed. The 2:00 mark is where the sound clip is easily heard.

"IF" I were to build a custom kit car, this would be the engine I'd use. As it has a very wide torque curve, does not need absurd gearing (like a CSB would on a transaxle) and would result in an easy to drive configuration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PVGI98Rs6s

That is another great idea, but honestly I do not know if it's affordable to me. I'm honestly looking to spend no more than 2k on parts over whatever amount of time it takes me to build it. Also, I would be going about this on a bit of a wing and a prayer. No extra funds, no team, just a man and a pile of parts. I've also considered dumping the V8 for something such as an Ecotec 2.2 or 2.4 from a Malibu or a Cobalt.

If this is going to be a small lightweight car, there is a lot to be said for using a small, lightweight engine.

Well, by the time it actually comes to fruition, I'm sure the new DI/Turbo engines will be appearing in totaled Hyundais, Fords, and Chryslers in salvage yards so.....how about a super-light, 305 HP 4 banger?
wink.gif

Time to whip out the tape measure and start planning, perhaps?
Alternately, build the rest of the car and leave enough of a hole to position whatever powertrain strikes your fancy when the time comes for that bit. Keep in mind that with a mated engine/trans, the bigger/heavier it is the closer it needs to be to the centerpoint of the car.

I surely do want it to be a mid engine setup. The car is to be an open wheel, open chassis jobber. More or less a large, massively overpowered go kart.

If you want light weight and power cheap you need to go with an I4. I would think with their vast aftermarket the cheapest way to get 300hp out of a 4 would be with a Honda motor.

Lotus uses the 1.8L from Toyota which is a good motor as well.

Last edited:
I think the only viable choice here, given the preferences listed, is the Cadillac Northstar and its attached 4T80-E transaxle. The 4T80-E is pretty much bullet-proof. And you really do want the L37 (the 300hp version). Not only does the engine have better top-end power, but the transaxle has a 3.71:1 final drive vs. the 3.11:1 in the LD8 (the 275hp version). I think there was ONE exception to that...possibly one of the Pontiac Bonneville models had the 275hp Northstar with the shorter 3.71:1 drive. I'd buy the engine with the intention of doing a Timesert job (head bolts)...after that, the engine will take all the abuse you could throw at it. The 2000+ engines had roller camshaft followers and 2004+ engines had the head bolt upgrades which made problems here pretty much a memory. I've owned two of these engines (a '97 LD8 and a '01 L37) and never had a lick of trouble out of either one.

If considering lighter weight options, it's hard to beat a Honda 4 (like a K20). They have a very strong aftermarket and proven/demonstrated upgrade paths. The aforementioned Toyota 2ZZ-GE is also an excellent engine, but I'm not as familiar with aftermarket support of that engine series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back