Selling aluminum cans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched and didn't see anything. I have a place in a town that is quite a ways away that buys cans, but i go thru there sometimes. I know a guy there that said he gets $20 for a full trash bag of crushed aluminum cans. Does this sound right? Seems kind of high to me, but I have been saving cans for a while (yeah I am bored) and have 3 full trash bags full.

Anyone here sell their crushed cans?

Seems a little high, but the price of aluminum varies quite a bit. I sold 5 bags of crushed cans about 3 years ago for about $38, but prices may be higher now, or higher in your locality.

Deposit regs in New York State require that the can be NOT CRUSHED. It has to stand on its base.

There are states where Harbor Freight will not sell their can crusher. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
Deposit regs in New York State require that the can be NOT CRUSHED. It has to stand on its base.

There are states where Harbor Freight will not sell their can crusher. Kira

New York State....darn glad I didn't move there years ago when I had a chance. They exemplify bureaucracy gone berserk. So many rules....laws....taxes....and controls over every aspect of what you do.
Sorry...rant over. On the plus side, the landscape in the country during summer is attractive.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
what is CRV? And Kira, they prefer them crushed around here....or so I hear

CRV = California Redemption Value

We get money when we turn cans into a recycling center. I filled up a container of uncrushed cans that was maybe 5 1/2 feet tall and 2 1/2 feet across and got about $30 back.

California charges 5 cents for any container that has CRV stamped (plastic, aluminum, glass) when we buy it, it can be turned in to a recycling center to get part of the 5 cents fee back.

Cans down here are $1/Kg scrap value crushed, aluminium waste gets you more as it's more usable.

Funny this should come up today, as yesterday I melted down about 3 gals of crushed cans, and some miscelaneous bits of oil pump and stuff.

more fun than going to the scrapyard.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
what is CRV? And Kira, they prefer them crushed around here....or so I hear

CRV = California Redemption Value

We get money when we turn cans into a recycling center. I filled up a container of uncrushed cans that was maybe 5 1/2 feet tall and 2 1/2 feet across and got about $30 back.

I didn't realize that CRV is California (not cash) Redemption Value, states other than California similar programs.
Here's some more info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Container_deposit_legislation_in_the_United_States

Aluminum cans $1.90 lb

Plastic drink bottles $.95 lb

Varies some but pretty much that for past few years here.

That is for CRV items. Other aluminum and plastic is less.

Last edited:
You laugh...but a few years ago, a full semi trailer was STOLEN from a redemption center in NY. It turned up a week or so later in Michigan...rear door latch had been broken, and it was empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back