New today 2014 Elantra oil recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Danno
Interesting that the manual "recommends" Quaker Sate, my dealer uses Castrol. Go figure.

As stated above, Shell pays to get the QS recommendation in the book. The dealer is an independent business and will buy whichever product that is cheapest to meet spec.

For the Elantra, it really doesn't matter. Use the oil in the jug of your favorite color. The engine will run great on a conventional 5W-20 with 7500 mile oil drain intervals (if that's what your owner's manual calls for), and will certainly make 7500 with any premium oil. Hyundai/Kia is picky about using only OE oil filters, though. Hyundai puts their money on the line with their 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Me, I'd use 5W-30 or maybe 10W-30 in your climate. 5W-30 in my Kia 2.4 does seem to run quieter than on 5W-20, and it doesn't even get hot here in the summer (49° this afternoon).

Thanks everyone for the great advice and good points. Dealer recommended 4,000 miles between oil changes since they are doing them for free. I'll ask what oil and grade they are using at the first OCI. This is the first car we ever owned that recommendeds 5W-20. I have Amsoil 5W-30 XL and Napa SYN 5W-30 sitting in my garage for my other vehicles. After the first 3 I will be doing the oil changes on my own. Not sure which oil I want to use at this time. I'm sure the dealer is using Dino oil as factory fills. Since Hyundai is offering the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty and recommends Dino I guess Dino won't hurt to use. But I have always been a synthetic guy since day 1 of owning cars so I may go with a synthetic oil. My first Hyundai and I am surprised at the quality and comfort of the vehicle. We are hoping to keep this vehicle for a long time. This is my wife's car and I am looking at the new redesigned 2015 Hyundai Sonata for myself next year. Thanks once again for all of your input information.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Oil too thin

Many people running 5W-20 year round with no issues. I came across some people here in Florida running Amsoil 0W-20 Signature Series and they say best oil they ever ran in their vehicles.

In my girlfriend 2013 Elantra, we run PP 5W-20 in winter and PP 5W-30 in summer. 8000km oci.
No problem so far, no oil consumption too!

Not even the Turbo'd GDi engines are mandated to run synthetic, it will not hurt anything if you do, but definitely not a necessity at the mfr's conservative oci or in Florida's warm weather.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'd run 10W-30 in it since Hyundai says it's OK. That'd be my first choice.

^^2nd

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Pennzoil Pure Plus. Then take advantage of the $1 per gallon Shell gas.

Sounds good. Saw plenty of 5W-30 and 10W-30 but no 20 weight. May go with 5W-30 when the time comes. Buy it now and stock up. Thanks man.

I supply my dealer with M1 0w-20 AFE from Walmart ($24/5qt jug) in my 2012 Sonata 2.4l. I run it year round, in 95 degree and hotter temps and also in -20 degree temps in winter.

They do the oil changes and are perfectly happy with 7,500 mile changes, although I change every 6 months...late fall and early spring.

Originally Posted By: Willscary
I supply my dealer with M1 0w-20 AFE from Walmart ($24/5qt jug) in my 2012 Sonata 2.4l. I run it year round, in 95 degree and hotter temps and also in -20 degree temps in winter.

They do the oil changes and are perfectly happy with 7,500 mile changes, although I change every 6 months...late fall and early spring.

Sounds good to me.

Sorry to bump this thread. But I am going in for my 1st oil change tomorrow at 3700 miles. Dealer has no clue what oil came in the car at delivery. He said right now they are using QS Synblend in all Hyundai's. Since it's free I will stick with the QS Synblend. Been doing research and may go with Amsoil 5W-20 Signature series when the time comes for me to do it myself. The oil looks kind of brownish for the 3700 miles which seems to be normal. Thanks to all for your input.

Assuming its a Hope Hull (Montgomery) built Elantra its got 5W20 QSUD Synthetic in it.

Ulsan cars are suspected to have a SK Lubricants 5W30 in them.

You likely live far enough north that Hyundai wont give you warranty problems for running the normal intervals (7500 miles). Miami area has to run 3750 mile intervals.

Don't be surprised if the dealer uses something other than 5w20 QS in it. My dealer services everything with Mobil Super 5000 5W30. That way he only has to have one oil in bulk for all Hyundais.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Assuming its a Hope Hull (Montgomery) built Elantra its got 5W20 QSUD Synthetic in it.

Ulsan cars are suspected to have a SK Lubricants 5W30 in them.

You likely live far enough north that Hyundai wont give you warranty problems for running the normal intervals (7500 miles). Miami area has to run 3750 mile intervals.

I'm in Miami, Fl and under the norrmal service intervals on both the 2.0T (5k mile syn), and 2.4 (7,500 mile blend or syn) per the dealership.

Last edited:
I've got the '06 limited. I run 5w-20 year round except in the hottest of summer where I put in 5w-30. I use dino year round except in the coldest of winter where I use synthetic.

Since the engine is new and August is overthere, I'd go at least 10w30 and after a bunch of miles, only 10w40 or 15w40. I don't mind to spend an extra gallon per month.

Dealer put in QS dino 5W-30. I noticed the engine was quieter after the oil change. So I am thinking QS dino 5W-20 was in the engine from the dealership. I may stick with 5W-30 year round. Dealer is recommending 4K oil changes with dino oil. If I stick with 4K OCI I may stick with dino oil for the life of the engine. Since NAPA SYN Full Synthetic is always on sale for $3.49 a quart and I have a huge stock of it in my garage I may use that.

Originally Posted By: wemay
That sounds like a solid plan.

01.gif
Thats what I would do. I would not be using 20 weight oil
in summer heat. I don't beleive in using 0/5w20 oil just to save a bit
in fuel costs.

Thanks guys for all your replies. I really want to keep this engine clean. I'm about to buy a 2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.0 turbo. I love Hyundai's customer loyalty program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back