Night Defense low beams

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't use Wagner lamps anymore if you paid me to. Back in the 80s they were one of my go-to brands, but they progressively cheaped-out and started relying on gimmicks like the tri-color (or any color) coatings, plus aggressively grabbing shelf space at retail outlets. Kinda what Fram did in the same period, if you ask me.

I'd rather reward good engineering- buy a set of GE Nighthawks. Safety in fog is about beam control and definition, NOT color (although a high color temperature can exaggerate glare, a bad beam pattern is far worse).

Just make sure you get some 3000-4500K bulbs. Anything above that will do you more harm than good in dense fog.

Wagner is owned by Federal Mogul,and FM has become a very aggressive company now trying everything to push Wagner,Anco,MOOG branded U joints (used to be called Precision)..you name it.Anco must have 8-10 lines of blades now.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
Just make sure you get some 3000-4500K bulbs. Anything above that will do you more harm than good in dense fog.

..ie any bulb with simple clear glass, no tinting whatsoever is the best.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Wagner is owned by Federal Mogul,and FM has become a very aggressive company now trying everything to push Wagner,Anco,MOOG branded U joints (used to be called Precision)..you name it.Anco must have 8-10 lines of blades now.

Thanks for the info. I will put all of these product lines on my Do Not Buy list. Federal Mogul has been on my black list for many years now. Anything they own will be added to that list.

Originally Posted By: schuylkill
I don't have fog lights and sometimes driving over the mountain on my commute I drive thru the clouds and it is dangerous. Has anyone used these tri-color Night Defense low beams and if so do you think they would help in the fog?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4201791&cc=1463695

sounds like a version (or rip-off) of the Philips Night Guide.

nightguide1.jpg

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: schuylkill
I don't have fog lights and sometimes driving over the mountain on my commute I drive thru the clouds and it is dangerous. Has anyone used these tri-color Night Defense low beams and if so do you think they would help in the fog?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4201791&cc=1463695

sounds like a version (or rip-off) of the Philips Night Guide.

nightguide1.jpg

I was thinking the same thing! I used a pair of 9007 Night Guides for about a month, while I could see the three different colors of lights, I just couldn't see at night lol. They've been on a shelf in my shed ever since.

Here in Europe we experience fog quite often, and most people find it hard to see because most headlights/foglights shine white light, which reflects off the fog.

If you want a bulb that cuts through the fog and offers excellent visibility, consider Osram Fogbreaker.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=osramfogbreaker&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=T74&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&channel=fflb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=iu5tU9C8G4GYO5DqgKgI&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1147&bih=547#channel=fflb&q=osram+fog+breaker&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&safe=off&spell=1&tbm=isch

The NightDefense sound interesting. I'd buy them and try them out. I use Philips MotoVision (also called City Vision) bulbs in my motorcycle. They have a spot of orange dye on the bulb to make the lower half of the reflector orange color, hopefully to catch the attention of on coming drivers. And, they're great at night.

Nothing cuts fog. Fog is water droplets in the air, and you can't see through them. The best we can hope for is lighting that reflects back the least. Excellent beam shape is important. Most so-called fog lights actually do nothing (at best) other than light the shoulder of the road to help us stay on the pavement. A warmer light color (lower color temperature) will have less light scatter that wipes out contrast and increases glare. Yellow bulbs like the Fog Breakers are illegal in head lights, and may not actually light up the road better than a clear bulb, probably due to the light lost from the yellow coating.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
How about some Sylvania Silverstars?

you're better off with Philips Xtreme Vision H11 or Sylvania(Osram) Nightbreaker H11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back