hyundai did a bg44 intake cleaning on my veloster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lubedude13
BG recommends doing this service every 15k but I recommend every 30-50k. It's a great service. However, my personal cars get Amsoil a Power Foam thru the intake and a bottle of amsoil pi fuel treatment. $20 and I'm done!!!

Powerfoam is only for use on carbeurated engines.

Wind that engine out after it's warm. Don't baby it since that will kill it with carbon. Once a week, get the car moving slowly and then floor it up to the speed limit. Repeat that a bunch of times, and then check how black the rear bumper gets.

DI engines benefit from Italian tuneups, so do one every now and again. It won't kill it.

Originally Posted By: lubedude13
No Power Foam can be used on both systems. I use power foam 3-4 cars a week at my shop

Oh, the difference a comma makes...

DI engines are a PITA as you are finding out, its only a matter of time before all companies are using hybrid DI/Port systems like Toyota.
You OCI is good for DI as well as the use of Techron, the injectors are right in the combustion chamber so keeping the nozzle clean is important.

As Sam2000 pointed out the use of the 3M system may be beneficial used every 10K, longer and i think you run the risk of letting the deposits accumulate too much and hardening making removal more difficult.

This is the kit to use #08963. I think the result will be just as good as the BG cleaning and is easy enough to do at home, they have a how to video.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08963-Fuel-System-Tune-Up/dp/B003YJ47JO

49.gif

I just used the new CRC GDI intake cleaner for those valves today. It worked but I didnt notice much. I just use redline si1 from redline oil per Dave explained the PEA would survive the combustion and would help with gunk on intake valves. I also have access to pure petrol 87 octane and without the e10 im sure it cant hurt. I too have been using full synthetic and change it at 5k bc i get free rotation and balance so they only charge me a 10 spot since its already on lift. I just provide oem hyundai filter and mobil 1/ Redline 5w30 and presto. I drive 150 or more miles on a interstate doing 80mph on cruise 5 days a week. Lots of VAG guys say to run your DI 's on the highway between 3-4k rpm for 20 minutes and that help. Bought new CRC cleaner for 13.00 a can and already mailed 5 dollar rebate in. Its easy task to do especially since i already have Injen 1340 intake on now. You need one person to work accelerator and another to spray. Let soak, 2hrs later start up and go for a 30 minute highway drive,thats it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
DI engines are a PITA as you are finding out, its only a matter of time before all companies are using hybrid DI/Port systems like Toyota.
You OCI is good for DI as well as the use of Techron, the injectors are right in the combustion chamber so keeping the nozzle clean is important.

32k+ on my traditional DI motor with no intake valve issues. People just need to learn how to take care of these motors. They require just a bit more attention.

Got the car new in april of 2012 and I now have 41,750 miles on it. I tried to find out from bg44 if I should dump the oil and I haven't heard back from them yet. id hate to waste oil that doesn't even have a 1000miles on it yet.

badtlc you say people need to learn how to take care of the new di engines. I followed everything the manual told me too do. It says to use top tier gas. Well I did use top tier gas 90 to 95 percent of the time and the other 5 percent I didn't I used the tectron stuff every 10,000 miles just incase. Yeah the manual says if u don't use top tier gas to use the tectron every oil change but I figured I used enough. From now on im gonna use it every oil change and see if it really makes a difference.PS just so u guys know my brother halls gas to many different gas stations and hes been doing it a long time. He says the gas is the same gas no matter where u go. He said its a complete joke when people think there getting better gas at certain stations. He said the only difference in the gas is if the station is a very busy chances are the gas is cleaner.

Originally Posted By: waltywalt
PS just so u guys know my brother halls gas to many different gas stations and hes been doing it a long time. He says the gas is the same gas no matter where u go. He said its a complete joke when people think there getting better gas at certain stations. He said the only difference in the gas is if the station is a very busy chances are the gas is cleaner.

It's a common knowledge that the gasoline is the same except for for the detergent package. Different brands use different detergents and in different doses. Your brother should know that.

It has more to do with engine design and valve material than Knowing how to take care of it.
If 3 or 4 K for 20 min method had much merit all manufacturers would spec that as a cheap alternative to walnut shell blasting or other cleaning methods. They do not.

It may help some engines in a small way but engines with heat dissipating valves which are being found even on the intake valves on some engines its not doing anything beneficial.
The deposits are not just on the rear of the intake valves but can accumulate in the runner itself.

The other thing is some engines are worst than others, from what i understand the SEAT has few issues but the VW/Audi version of that same engine does.
I'm sure it something to do with valve overlap.

A good thread on Audi issues with pics.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/336352-Audi-FSI-Engine-Carbon-Build-up-Megathread

But like I said I was just wondering if an oil change now would be smart

Why? Cleaning the valves or area above the pistons should have little effect on the oil.

It seems like a lot of people on hear always wait till the end of there oci to use the tectron stuff so I figured maybe they know something I don't. That's the only reason I thought about changing it. Is there a big difference in putting tectron in the fuel tank to getting the fuel service with bg44 from the dealer. I don't really know how the dealer does the service but I was told its different then just putting stuff in the fuel tank.

I have a 2012 accent di engine. Same as the n/a velosters. I use top tier gas and use techron every oil change. I know I'll be needing a fuel system cleaning soon though. Top tier gasoline has a higher percentage of cleaning agents than other 'normal' gas brands.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised or mad that you need a fuel system cleaning. Most cars need them even if you always use top tier or cleaners. It's just normal buildup. On the 1.6 gamma, the direct injection bypasses the intake tract all together. There is absolutely no fuel or techron additive hitting your intake manifold or intake valves. This is the reason it needs cleaning from the throttle body in. This is normal servicing on all cars, especially di engines. Don't worry, I'll be getting it done soon too. I'm currently at 53,xxx miles.

badtlc you say people need to learn how to take care of the new di engines. I followed everything the manual told me too do. It says to use top tier gas. Well I did use top tier gas 90 to 95 percent of the time and the other 5 percent I didn't I used the tectron stuff every 10,000 miles just incase. Yeah the manual says if u don't use top tier gas to use the tectron every oil change but I figured I used enough. From now on im gonna use it every oil change and see if it really makes a difference.PS just so u guys know my brother halls gas to many different gas stations and hes been doing it a long time. He says the gas is the same gas no matter where u go. He said its a complete joke when people think there getting better gas at certain stations. He said the only difference in the gas is if the station is a very busy chances are the gas is cleaner.

You have to burn the buildup off the valves. That means regular 20+min runs of RPMs over 4,500. I do it on mine about once every 6 months. It is recommended by VW for their DI motors and has been shown to work. Even the tear down of a ford ecoboost that was raced for 100k miles had no valve buildup, most likely because it saw lots of high valve temps.

Mazda engineers said the deposits form when the intake valves are below 400F. The vapors condense on the valves at that point and produce buildup. Getting the valves hot burns it away. Mazda designed their DI engines to maintain an intake valve temp above 400F so maybe I don't need to burn it off as often as I do, but either way it is working for my and my brother who drives a VW GTI which does have known buildup problems.

Can you explain why this doesn't help some engines running in Germany that routinely see 5K+ RPM for extended period on a daily basis in many cases?
Any documentation from VW?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Can you explain why this doesn't help some engines running in Germany that routinely see 5K+ RPM for extended period on a daily basis in many cases?
Any documentation from VW?

Because they don't actually do it or don't do it long enough. It has been posted on this very site before and after photos showing it works. VW's recommendations are easy enough to find. Every Audi/VW forum on the net has links to it.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

32k+ on my traditional DI motor with no intake valve issues. People just need to learn how to take care of these motors. They require just a bit more attention.

Come back in 68k miles... and see if you have any issues before you say "people just need to learn how to take care of these motors".

I have 184k on my DI motor, and had the first cleaning at 100k

I have no problem believing it can help to clean the back of the valves on some engines depending on the type of valve being used but how does it clean the area around the valve?
The ports are generally full of deposits not just the rear of the valve.

Some engines are worse than others I don't think at 32K you cant say what is helping or not at this point or even if this engine is deposit prone in the first place.
Like i said before SEAT uses a VW produced engine as does Skoda but they don't seem to have the amount of deposit issues that VW/Audi had with the same engine family.

IMHO there is a lot more to this issue and controlling it than just getting the engine up to RPM for a certain amount of time.

Your brother is right. Watching them drop gas and asking proved that to me.

The other thing I often wonder about is if there aren't problems with DI engines why do these discussions pop up time and time again? DI is getting better but it still has a way to go IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back