Question about claybar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you clay bar over say a body that already has a coat of wax on it? Or do you need to strip wax, wash with dawn etc....then perform clay bar, or could you get away with over wax. I ask because I have used spray wax as lube for the clay bar.

You can definitely use a clay bar over a waxed surface. But sometimes you have to be careful with using spray wax as a lubricant. Sometimes some of the heavier wax content spray waxes can soften the clay to the point where it tends to leave clay stains on the paint.

Not a problem if you're going to be polishing anyways but depending on the aggressiveness of the clay it could induce marring.

Instead it's a lot better to make your own lubricant with just car wash detergent and water. Mix 1 ounce into a 32 ounce spray bottle of water.

This is a lot more economical as you can really be generous with a simple water/detergent mix which is what'll save your car from marring from underlubricating because you're using an expensive spray wax or detailer and trying to stretch it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: qwertydude
You can definitely use a clay bar over a waxed surface. But sometimes you have to be careful with using spray wax as a lubricant. Sometimes some of the heavier wax content spray waxes can soften the clay to the point where it tends to leave clay stains on the paint.

Not a problem if you're going to be polishing anyways but depending on the aggressiveness of the clay it could induce marring.

Instead it's a lot better to make your own lubricant with just car wash detergent and water. Mix 1 ounce into a 32 ounce spray bottle of water.

This is a lot more economical as you can really be generous with a simple water/detergent mix which is what'll save your car from marring from underlubricating because you're using an expensive spray wax or detailer and trying to stretch it.

Thanks, never would have thought about that, I have meguires wash and wax.....will use! Only because I threw 2 coats of wax on, I should of polished clay bar.....yada yada.....but didn't have time today, smooth but still feel a lil roughness or particulate in paint, so I want to clay bar....glad i can over wax!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Can the claybar take Iron particles out ?

I believe it can, that is its point I thought to get embedded particles such as iron and other grime out. I hope anyway, cause i think i have some in my paint.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Use this :

Optimum No Rinse

The most economical clay lube in the market. Use it at quick detailer strength ( details on mix ratios available on the mfc website ).

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back