Rule of thumb for junking a car

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only late model cars (less than decade old) which I see rusted out are Mazda. It is shocking that any vehicle in our parking lot that I can see rust is invariably a Mazda. Nissans too but those are over decade old.

Last edited:
I don't think there is, nor can there realistically be, a "number". As others have stated, it depends on the condition of the rest of the car, the car's sentimental value, the financial condition of the owner, the owner's ability to do the work himself (or to properly maintain the car after the work is performed)...I can keep going.

One also needs to consider ancillary costs...how much more would insurance, sales, and excise taxes be for a newer car? If those costs on the replacement vehicle are higher, how many years would it take to end up costing the same amount as repairing the current car?

Unless the car has enormous sentimental or collector value and is worth any repair at any cost, each case is unique.

Give us a teaser, is it Kia Rio level cheap, Camry level midsize, or BMW level complex?

None really mean it shouldn't be fixed, I'm just curious if someone was following the "disposable car" mentality and now it's catching up to them.

Basically the rule of thumb is whenever you have had enough.

There you go. No magic formula.

Either way - keep and repair or replace and risk more repairs - best wishes.

Rust is the big thing around here. After 10-15 years they just get so rusty underneath that fixing anything becomes a challenge.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider

And the car was not abused, on the contrary, it sits and isn't used enough. It's in a northern US climate outdoors all year. Building a garage or covering it isn't a realistic option. The problems with it are mostly severe rust or rot of the braking and exhaust systems, in addition to the other more minor (comparatively) issues.

And the decision ended up being to invest in the car and repair it. The body/frame is good, as is most of the car. The price of the repairs is steep, but given the options available, it makes the most sense after some consideration.

If you are able-bodied you can probably save a lot of money on brake lines if you can do them yourself. This won't work out if you make more than $1000/day, but otherwise it's something to consider. Brake lines take a lot of time and that turns into a lot of money when you're paying for a shop's overhead. That's money you can save if you're willing and able to do it yourself. The required parts and tools tend to be pretty cheap. Brake tubing is so cheap that if you're going to DIY and haven't had the pleasure it's well worth wasting a few feet practicing.

Exhaust is another animal. If there aren't any headers/manifolds to worry about it tends to be the parts that cost a lot of money. You might be able to save a couple few hundred dollars by sitting in front of your computer shopping around for parts (don't buy junk though, it will rot out too fast) and then bringing the parts to a muffler store or similar outfit for installation.

If you can cut the cost of repairs, factor that into your decision. If you can't be bothered, you're probably going to be happier with a newer car than a repaired car anyway.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Consumer Reports has said when the repairs cost more than the vehicle is worth, dump it.

So you spend $3000 now, but what about other repairs that may arise after you spend the $3000. Why is oil leaking at 80K. (And where is it leaking).

The brakes, tie-rods, exhaust are all maint. items that do wear out.

Engine oil leaks and coolant leaks should not be happening at 80K miles.

What about the rest of the engine and transmission?

Just because Consumer Report says so, doesn't make it so. Fix it and drive it, or just sell it. Most other cars in this price range will need repairs of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back