Maxlife 10W40 Is Now Resource Conserving

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was at walmart in 5qt jugs. On back of jug donut.
Not on 1qt bottles yet. I thought 10w40 could not be resource conserving.

Mobil Super HM 10W-40 says the same thing. I contacted Mobil and they replied that it didn't have anything to do with gas mileage.

As I stated, it isn't gas conservation, at least according to Mobil.

It probably has to do with a thicker and or syn. blend oil causing less oil loss by less blow-by/burning/leaking of the oil. This conserves oil and if oil is conserved, resources are conserved as well.

Is there a starburst on the front? The circle that says "For gasoline engines" in it? The starburst means it's ILSAC GF-5 which is the same as SNRC.

SN/RC = GF5

No starburst, no RC

I didn't think any 40 could be RC/ILSAC though. Doesn't it only apply to 20/30 oils?

AGAIN, Mobil does the SAME thing, it has nothing to do with gas mileage, API or ILSAC. There is no starburst symbol because it isn't talking of improving mileage.

It is most likely because HM oils usually reduce consumption of oil which saves resources.

I use Mobil Super and HM and the 10W-40 HM has "Resource Conserving" in the API Donut but Mobil responded to an e-mail I sent and said it wasn't mileage it was referring to. This is most likely the same thing Maxlife is doing.

This is the response from Mobil:

"The "Resource Conserving" has nothing to do with the ILSAC, energy conserving requirement."

-MJ

I think the resource conserving has to do with friction modifiers.

I have an atv the specifically says do not use an oil that says resource conserving because it can cause transmission slippage.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Is there a starburst on the front? The circle that says "For gasoline engines" in it? The starburst means it's ILSAC GF-5 which is the same as SNRC.

SN/RC = GF5

No starburst, no RC

I didn't think any 40 could be RC/ILSAC though. Doesn't it only apply to 20/30 oils?

It has no starburst but has resource conserving in donut.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Could "Resource Conserving" mean recycled resources were used in its creation?

No.

Originally Posted By: API 1509
5.3.2.6.2 Resource Conserving in Conjunction with API Service Category SN
API Service SN engine oils designated as Resource Conserving are formulated to help improve fuel economy and protect vehicle emission system components in passenger cars, sport utility vehicles, vans, and light-duty trucks powered by gasoline engines. These oils have demonstrated a fuel economy improvement (FEI) in the Sequence VID test at the percentages listed in Table 1 when compared with a baseline oil (BL) used in the Sequence VID test. Additionally, these oils have demonstrated in the tests listed in Table 1 that they provide greater emission system and turbocharger protection and help protect engines when operating on ethanol-containing fuels up to E85.

Many previous S-categories made reference to “Energy Conserving,” but this reflected an emphasis on fuel-economy performance alone. Resource Conserving in conjunction with API SN focuses on fuel economy, emission system and turbocharger protection, and compatibility with ethanol-containing fuel up to E85.

Starting October 1, 2010, oils that have passed the tests at the limits shown in Table 1 and are properly licensed by API may display “Resource Conserving” in the lower portion of the API Service Symbol in conjunction with API Service SN in the upper portion. The fuel economy and other resource conserving benefits obtained by individual vehicle operators using engine oils labeled Resource Conserving may differ because of many factors, including the type of vehicle and engine, engine manufacturing variables, the mechanical condition and maintenance of the engine, oil that has been previously used, operating conditions, and driving habits. Before the October 1, 2010, introduction date, oil marketers may license oils meeting Resource Conserving in conjunction with API Service SN as Energy Conserving in conjunction with API Service SM.

Beginning around that timeframe (CY 2010), even the 5W-30 and 10W-30 MaxLife jugs got the Resource Conserving label. It used to be that none of the MaxLife line had the EC/RC label, not even the 5W-30 and 10W-30.

Yes, read Solarent's post. If they're not ILSAC rated, there's no Starburst and they're not resource conserving. Plenty of oil companies' lubricant handbooks explain that 40 grades are not eligible to be resource conserving.

The donut has nothing to do with designation as resource conserving. My Delvac 1 has a donut on it, as will any pail of 15w-40 or even SAE 40 you buy. The donut lists API service categories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back