Fram TG4386 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: possum328
I just can't get past the fiber end caps, but that is a pretty good looking specemin...

The end caps on the TG seem to be thicker than the ones on the EG (orange can). The end caps on this TG seem to be still straight and flat due to them being thicker, like in the Honda OEM version.

Looks very good, above average pleat spacing for a Fram TG too, they sometimes exhibit very large gaps at the seam even on the TG. Not that Fram's media seems to have any problem with it.

If I want a high efficiency extended use filter Tough Guard is my choice.

Looks just fine to me I just picked up two TG filters for my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder. Going to stay with the recommended 7,500 OCI and I feel for the price and quality the TG will fit that bill.

I just can't get past the fiber end caps, but that is a pretty good looking specemin...

I know, but as their rep pointed out, it's easier to glue fiber to fiber than fiber to metal.

I just cant see why anybody don't like these tg's, all of em always looks super good when cut open. purolators cant touch the quality of these filters. I will never run a Purolator again

Originally Posted By: HangFire

I know, but as their rep pointed out, it's easier to glue fiber to fiber than fiber to metal.

That's just a cop out. They're doing it because it's cheap.

Originally Posted By: sevenznuf
I just cant see why anybody don't like these tg's, all of em always looks super good when cut open. purolators cant touch the quality of these filters. I will never run a Purolator again

+1 - Also the efficiency is much better.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Better and cheap aren't mutually exclusive. I just wish they'd pass on the "cheap" to us up here.
wink.gif
Then, I'd consider using them.

Looks excellent. For my applications, the Extra Guard is perfectly sufficient, but I've used Tough Guards and Ultras with great results.

Until we see a torn fiber end cap, there's no reason to complain.
Publicly traded company (HON), so the CEO's responsibility is to maximize profits for stock holders. Why spend more on a part/design that makes no difference in ultimate performance?

Originally Posted By: surfstar

Until we see a torn fiber end cap, there's no reason to complain.
Publicly traded company (HON), so the CEO's responsibility is to maximize profits for stock holders. Why spend more on a part/design that makes no difference in ultimate performance?

Because I can sleep better at night.
I would buy a FU before I would buy a TG, any day.

Just a question? Why not? They are made from similar material as the media itself. If you have confidence in the media, the end caps are nothing to worry about. So many OE's going to this or similar technology now. Even Porsche is using felt type end caps on its new car cartridge filters. This technology has been proven in over 2 billion filters!

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Just a question? Why not? They are made from similar material as the media itself. If you have confidence in the media, the end caps are nothing to worry about. So many OE's going to this or similar technology now. Even Porsche is using felt type end caps on its new car cartridge filters. This technology has been proven in over 2 billion filters!

MK - Does the TG have thicker end caps than the EG? I also see the OEM Honda filters made by Honeywell that have fiber end caps, and they look noticeably thicker than the end caps in the FRAMs.

Just seems the thicker fiber end caps stay more ridged and flatter than the thin ones, which is good IMO.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Motorking

MK - Does the TG have thicker end caps than the EG? I also see the OEM Honda filters made by Honeywell that have fiber end caps, and they look noticeably thicker than the end caps in the FRAMs.

Just seems the thicker fiber end caps stay more ridged and flatter than the thin ones, which is good IMO.

Z06, it does seem that way.
Only metal end cap filters for my engine.
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back