Are there any "bad" oils anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll post a UOA when the Accord hits 15% MM on this run, probably in about another 3K. This oil went in at about 15K car on 12/22/13 and the car is just over 20K now.
My guess is that the guy I acquired it from wanted to try Kendall and wanted to avoid using the HGMO SM in some sort of Subaru which called for an API SN oil.
I did use PP 0W-20 for the second OCI, replacing the FF and it was around five bucks for the jug after taking the MIR that you can get registering a new car for the Pennzoil "engine warranty".
I wonder if you could register the Subie and stack that rebate with the FRN credits?

No, any modern name brand oil that meets the factory specifications, changed at the FSM interval will make a modern engine run perfectly as it drives into the junk yard...

Brand or type doesn't really matter, weight even as shown here is questionable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'll post a UOA when the Accord hits 15% MM on this run, probably in about another 3K. This oil went in at about 15K car on 12/22/13 and the car is just over 20K now.
My guess is that the guy I acquired it from wanted to try Kendall and wanted to avoid using the HGMO SM in some sort of Subaru which called for an API SN oil.
I did use PP 0W-20 for the second OCI, replacing the FF and it was around five bucks for the jug after taking the MIR that you can get registering a new car for the Pennzoil "engine warranty".
I wonder if you could register the Subie and stack that rebate with the FRN credits?

That reminds me I have 1 1/2 cases of Kendall Synthetic 0w20 in the garage! I only did one change with it.....

I may just sell that off or use it in friends cars....

I switch brands on a regular basis. The Kendall just got put on the back burner. I am liking the PP at the moment though....

I will have to try and get that MIR!

I'd make you an offer on the Kendall, but I've got 35 qts of the HGMO left as well as sixteen of SSO 0W-20 I bought for two something a quart from someone living off of Georgesville Road and a jug of QSUD 0W-20 I got FAR by registering for the Quaker State "engine warranty", so I really am stocked up on 0W-20 for the one engine I have that needs it.
Since the MM has averaged 7.5K to 15% MM, the Accord will be in its second 100K by the time I've used the last of my 0W-20 stash.
That could change quickly if we bought another vehicle for which 0W-20 is recommended.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Really, we sit around for HOURS on this site, and for what? We split hairs on which oil is better than the other. But really, if we think about it....is there really a bad oil anymore?

And I don't mean, dollar store "Black Dog Star" oils and such....

Name brand oils....are there any that are bad that will not do the job required? Pretty much any current SN GF-5 oil that meet the specs required for your engine is going to get you an engine that outlasts everything else on the car. At least won't fail because of the oil....

You really aren't going to see a lot of varnish or sludge that is caused because of the oil if changed at the appropriate time, isn't neglected and not topped up, and overall is well maintained, PCV etc.....

So, why not just buy what is cheapest at the time and not worry about the rest? I know we all want what we think is the best, of the best, of the best and all.....

110% agreed. OCI and manufacturer's specification is most important, not brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back